Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a little while ago when I would shift to third, the car would make a grinding noise and the shifter would come back to neutral. It's been happening more often, and sometimes in other gears. It normally happens when I'm driving slow and I'm not putting much pressure into the gear changes. Any idea on what could be the problem? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hey guys, a little while ago when I would shift to third, the car would make a grinding noise and the shifter would come back to neutral. It's been happening more often, and sometimes in other gears. It normally happens when I'm driving slow and I'm not putting much pressure into the gear changes. Any idea on what could be the problem? Thanks
Syncros dying? Anyone with experience wanna chime in?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Synchros dying or your shifter bushings are shot and your getting to much play out of them.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
How hard would it be to replace the bushings?
Taking the shifter assembly out of the car is annoying enough that you wouldn't want to do it twice, but compared to a new transmission...not that bad. Boomba and a few others make them cheap.

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
What are your current mods?

How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your current mods?

How many miles on the car?
5 thousand miles on the car. 2015. Intake, exhaust, shift plate, BOV, no tune. As bad as it sounds, i have had different people drive the car who did not shift correctly and even stalled and or grinded the gears.

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
5 thousand miles on the car. 2015. Intake, exhaust, shift plate, BOV, no tune. As bad as it sounds, i have had different people drive the car who did not shift correctly and even stalled and or grinded the gears.
Hmmm. Well it's most likely not shifter bushings on a car with 5k miles, lol.

First thing to do is to pull your airbox.

Check all around the shift arm on the trans for any obstructions.

Then confirm that the ball stud on the shift plate is tight.

If these check out to be fine. Then Re-install the airbox and cry.

This car, especially with any shift reductions, does not seem to like "lazy" shifts, or even low rpm granny shifts that much.

Drive it with some nice firm deliberate shifts at a bit higher rpm than you normally do. See if it still does it.

If it still gives you problems, then it's not user error, it is pointing towards the transmission having internal damage.

At just 5k miles though, is kinda pointing at some serious driver error to cause this damage. Unless you are starting to get some clutch issues. Which clutch hydraulic failures will make it super hard to get into any gear while the car is running and can lead to the clutch not fully disengaging "hanging up", clutch physical damage will lead to slippage or rough engagements normally you will start to notice some driveability issues that continue to degrade to a smelly burnt clutch. Either way it will make shifts harder, and less consistent until you ultimately lose clutch functionality.

If you do plan on taking it in under warranty for repair. I do suggest you remove the shift plate to revert it to stock. Just so they don't give you a hard time about it. Properly installed aftermarket shifter components have not been documented on this site as to cause trans damage, but Ford stealerships will say whatever they want.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Well it's most likely not shifter bushings on a car with 5k miles, lol.

First thing to do is to pull your airbox.

Check all around the shift arm on the trans for any obstructions.

Then confirm that the ball stud on the shift plate is tight.

If these check out to be fine. Then Re-install the airbox and cry.

This car, especially with any shift reductions, does not seem to like "lazy" shifts, or even low rpm granny shifts that much.

Drive it with some nice firm deliberate shifts at a bit higher rpm than you normally do. See if it still does it.

If it still gives you problems, then it's not user error, it is pointing towards the transmission having internal damage.

At just 5k miles though, is kinda pointing at some serious driver error to cause this damage. Unless you are starting to get some clutch issues. Which clutch hydraulic failures will make it super hard to get into any gear while the car is running and can lead to the clutch not fully disengaging "hanging up", clutch physical damage will lead to slippage or rough engagements normally you will start to notice some driveability issues that continue to degrade to a smelly burnt clutch. Either way it will make shifts harder, and less consistent until you ultimately lose clutch functionality.

If you do plan on taking it in under warranty for repair. I do suggest you remove the shift plate to revert it to stock. Just so they don't give you a hard time about it. Properly installed aftermarket shifter components have not been documented on this site as to cause trans damage, but Ford stealerships will say whatever they want.
Man I hope this doesn't turn out to be big problem...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man I hope this doesn't turn out to be big problem...
Well did you do what I laid out for you?

Lol, without more input I cannot help.
I actually just read this tonight (don't know how I didn't see this for a week) but I'm on vacation for another 5 days and am not at home my ST. Missing driving it too. But once I get back I will definitely do your tests. Really appreciate your suggestions

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
I actually just read this tonight (don't know how I didn't see this for a week) but I'm on vacation for another 5 days and am not at home my ST. Missing driving it too. But once I get back I will definitely do your tests. Really appreciate your suggestions
Rofl!! I will be stalking around the forum and will see your responses.

Good luck sir!

·
Registered
3 Posts
On mine it's completely stock with 50,000 km and the shifting in the low gears was starting to get a bit rough when the transmission was cold. One thing I notice is that I need to be sure to press the clutch right to the floor. Sometimes I think the clutch is all the way pressed but it still has a 1/4 inch or so to left to be pressed. Moving your seat forward so that you aren't stretching at all to press the clutch to the floor may help. If you have to stretch then you won't be pressing it all the way down when you aren't thinking about it. When I did that it seemed to shift perfect. And after that I changed the transmission fluid aswell which also helped. It's cheap to change the transmission fluid so I will do it at least every 50,000 km. It was. Ever as bad as you are describing though. But if it is jumping out of gear and grinding then it is probably because the clutch isn't disengaging and the easiest thing to check is your operation of the pedal.

·
Administrator
11,898 Posts
On mine it's completely stock with 50,000 km and the shifting in the low gears was starting to get a bit rough when the transmission was cold. One thing I notice is that I need to be sure to press the clutch right to the floor. Sometimes I think the clutch is all the way pressed but it still has a 1/4 inch or so to left to be pressed. Moving your seat forward so that you aren't stretching at all to press the clutch to the floor may help. If you have to stretch then you won't be pressing it all the way down when you aren't thinking about it. When I did that it seemed to shift perfect. And after that I changed the transmission fluid aswell which also helped. It's cheap to change the transmission fluid so I will do it at least every 50,000 km. It was. Ever as bad as you are describing though. But if it is jumping out of gear and grinding then it is probably because the clutch isn't disengaging and the easiest thing to check is your operation of the pedal.

Fully depressing the clutch is important.

Actually the jumping out of gear and grinding is a synchro issue.

I personally have dealt with synchro, and master cylinder issues (complete loss of clutch). His symptoms are/were synchro related. I just wanted as much info as possible before putting a hard label on it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you only have 5,000 miles on the car there are only 2 steps you need to take.

1) Remove shift bracket
2) Take it in for warranty work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts