Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
running stratfied tune and car has rough idle and misfire on 2-3 about 20% been running tune for 6 months. 25k mi. any advice or diag. changed plugs and coils. going to try a reflash and see if it runs differently and deal with MIL

mods: green filter, mountune intake elbow, mbrp intake, rev9 catless DP, roush 3in cat back, 1 step colder plugs gapped to stratfied specs, msd coils. jbr short throw

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Put your stock coils back in and try again.

Reactions: ddotffoeg

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Put your stock coils back in and try again.
and check spark plug gap. Could also be a clogged/faulty injector... I'd also sand the neg battery ground as well as the grounds underneath the airbox.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
236 Posts
MSD coils are crap now. No longer made with the same quality and performance generating like back in the day. Change back to factory coils and problem solved. Friend of mine had MSD spark plugs on his FiST. Completely robbed power and made it run like ****.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swapping coils out and checking plug gap tomorrow thanks guys ill let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
161 Posts
MSD coils are crap now. No longer made with the same quality and performance generating like back in the day. Change back to factory coils and problem solved. Friend of mine had MSD spark plugs on his FiST. Completely robbed power and made it run like ****.
Always were junk if you ask me. I bet I've seen 100 dead MSD 6 boxes with my own eyes.i know several drag racers that carry several in stock on race days.

I hope it's fixed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cars is running better with stock coils didnt get chance to put new stock plugs in. currently running stage 1 ots

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been having the same issue too, I am running ngk spark plugs (one step colder) and stock coils. I installed the plugs and tune at the same time and I have been having this issue since then. Cold or warm the rpms goes up and down slightly but if I drive forward and back right issue goes away then I let it warm up a bit. I flashed back to stock and the issue is still there. I checked the plug gap many times nothing is out of spec. The only solution I haven't tried was swapping back to stock plugs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have been having the same issue too, I am running ngk spark plugs (one step colder) and stock coils. I installed the plugs and tune at the same time and I have been having this issue since then. Cold or warm the rpms goes up and down slightly but if I drive forward and back right issue goes away then I let it warm up a bit. I flashed back to stock and the issue is still there. I checked the plug gap many times nothing is out of spec. The only solution I haven't tried was swapping back to stock plugs.
What tuner are you using and have you asked them specifically about it? What gap are you running?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Stratified, I emailed them just waiting for a response.
gap is 0.026
Hopefully they can work that out with you, it sounds odd unless one of the plugs cracked or something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hopefully they can work that out with you, it sounds odd unless one of the plugs cracked or something.
It's not their fault; my friend has similar mods and tune and he doesn't have this issue. I also removed the tune and it's still the same.
Also here is a picture of the plugs
IMG_9943.jpg

·
Registered
651 Posts
What is your misfire count? What CEL are you getting (if any)? This car will misfire while cold every single time, but are you receiving misfires while just cruising or specifically under WOT? Have you checked carbon buildup on intake valve?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
It's not their fault; my friend has similar mods and tune and he doesn't have this issue. I also removed the tune and it's still the same.
Also here is a picture of the plugs
View attachment 297922
I didn't say it was, but there isn't anyone better to ask than your tuner in a time like this. Just to double check the tune. It's obviously either the plugs, the coils (maybe not seated properly), or the tune. If that's the only things that changed. Just covering the bases, Stratified knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I didn't say it was, but there isn't anyone better to ask than your tuner in a time like this. Just to double check the tune. It's obviously either the plugs, the coils (maybe not seated properly), or the tune. If that's the only things that changed. Just covering the bases, Stratified knows what they're doing.
I was clarifying for others it's not really a tune issue, Stratified are great they sent me a revised tune and it did reduce the idle roughness but not completely. They raised the idle rpm (which I used to do anyway whenever I wanted to tone down the roughness and the vibrations when I turned on the heater). Monday I will get stock plugs and flash back to stock (I am tuned for colder plugs) and see if that eliminates the problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
No misfires just rough idle.
Mine idled pretty rough too. Stage 3 with colder plugs and 55k. I traded it in for a brand new 2017 and it felt the same.. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts