Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I remember, I've been using Rotella T6 in all my vehicles. I'm 29 and I've owned over 20 cars and motorcycles in my life and I've always always always used this. I think it might have been my buddies dad, who was an old gearhead and always hearing him say how awesome it was because of the additional zinc, and I think that part of it was that it was a good synthetic oil at the price point.

My build is in my signature and I've been using T6 in this car since the first oil change and it now has 23,000 miles on it with 400whp. I was curious to know how the engine was holding up, as this is my first turbo car, and I am really pushing the stock internals to the limit. However, after this analysis, I will continue to use this oil in this vehicle.

Text Font Line Design Monochrome

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not sure I'd use 5w40 in these motors, but do what you like. It's a good sample analysis. I'll stick with the 5w30. I don't run my motor hard enough to put a heavier weight in the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also have to report good things about Shell Rotella 5w40 - I have used this oil o n plenty of cars that I have owned

Some facts/notes:
  • the car is a daily driver
  • once i start the car > I drive, I do not wait for the oil to come up to temp. Obviously I wait for a little while (30 secs) once the oil starts circulating and then drive off
  • once driving the RPM's stay less then 3000 until the oil temp needle sits somewhere near the center, OR I am 20 to 30 mins into a drive (I also try RELIGIOUSLY, probably 90% of the time, to not induce the turbo during this, but at times it gets tricky depending on merging/lane change etc)
  • Once oil is up to temp (see above) the car 4/7 days a week will see redline pulls upto 7000~7500 rpm (in 3rd gear) - more than once a day

NOTE - this sample did not see any track days, it was my oil flush right before the NJMP track weekend, so the analysis for that sample will come later

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have to report good things about Shell Rotella 5w40 - I have used this oil o n plenty of cars that I have owned

Some facts/notes:
  • the car is a daily driver
  • once i start the car > I drive, I do not wait for the oil to come up to temp. Obviously I wait for a little while (30 secs) once the oil starts circulating and then drive off
  • once driving the RPM's stay less then 3000 until the oil temp needle sits somewhere near the center, OR I am 20 to 30 mins into a drive (I also try RELIGIOUSLY, probably 90% of the time, to not induce the turbo during this, but at times it gets tricky depending on merging/lane change etc)
  • Once oil is up to temp (see above) the car 4/7 days a week will see redline pulls upto 7000~7500 rpm (in 3rd gear) - more than once a day
I follow this exact same protocol, except 7 out of 7 days of the week I am driving this car hard with a few good pulls in there each drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts