Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So first of all Thanks to Joe for telling all of us about the XB group buy. The Retrofit Resource just released these 90mm fogs. Its applications are very vast. They fit A LOT of vehicles. Including the Focus. :) As you know may or may not know, TRS is the leader in aftermarket automotive lighting applications. They do it the best, and their quality is top notch.

I know some of your may recognize the Rostra LED Fogs from last year. Where I found a company at SEMA that manufactures them for Land Rovers. These fogs are excellent quality, produce top notch light for a fog lamp. The best I have ever seen, Better than Fusion Fogs.

I thought I would take advantage of the group buy and get $45 off the XB LED Fogs. I figured what the hell, if they were better I would sell the Rostra's, from they were the same or worse, I would sell them.

Workmanship (Quality)

XB

Rostra

Cut Off / Output Shots

XB

Rostra & XB

XB

Look very close, as you can see, the color temperature is the same or very close. They both light up the ground very good. And, if you notice the XB actually has more angle out, to make a wider projection than the Rostra. Its not much, but its enough to say it lights up more ground.

Do you see where the XB's loose its mustard though on the edges? It may be wider, but it looses its intensity, where the Rostra's do not.

Rostra

Rostra

Rostra

The thing I like about the Rostra is the cut off, its a very fine line. The Rostra does not glare nearly as much as the XB. If I was a on coming driver, the XB's would bother me a lot. It glares so much.

Rostra LED Fog PROXB LED Fog PRO

• Great cut off
  • Better quality materials

• Price is Good at $175 + Shipping
  • Little more output
Rostra LED Fog CONXB LED Fog CON

• Price is expensive @ $250 + Shipping at Group Buy Price

• Too much Glare
  • Looses intensity on the side

Final Thoughts, I'll stick with the Rostra's. But, anymore in them market can grab the XB's for less money with very similar light output, light color, and usability.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
147 Posts
The cutoff and output of the Rostra just looks so clean compared to the morimoto. For the price though I guess it's not really that bad. But the quality beam of the Rostra just looks like it's worth the premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I would say the same as the OP from the images given. Since we own the Rostra fogs, we are very happy with them. No fog here in the desert but the additional light on the edges of the roads is very helpful when driving at night. Beats adding a 32" LED light bar tothe front of the car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's hard for me to make an opinion without both in hand, but from the pictures I think I would prefer the XB for the price difference. The Rostra has a weird foreground, and the colorful cutoff isn't going to be visible with your low beams on. For the pure purpose of fowl weather, I think it is a wash on which performs better. Considering the price difference, the XB looks to be a much better value. I would definitely prefer the Osram chip in the Rostra though.

I'll comment on the suggested glare when my XB pair gets here, but after seeing a comparison side-by-side with a OEM BMW LED foglamp I don't think it will be an issue at all. Basically the exact same output but the XB is wider.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
So first of all Thanks to Joe for telling all of us about the XB group buy. The Retrofit Resource just released these 90mm fogs. Its applications are very vast. They fit A LOT of vehicles. Including the Focus. :) As you know may or may not know, TRS is the leader in aftermarket automotive lighting applications. They do it the best, and their quality is top notch.

I know some of your may recognize the Rostra LED Fogs from last year. Where I found a company at SEMA that manufactures them for Land Rovers. These fogs are excellent quality, produce top notch light for a fog lamp. The best I have ever seen, Better than Fusion Fogs.

I thought I would take advantage of the group buy and get $45 off the XB LED Fogs. I figured what the hell, if they were better I would sell the Rostra's, from they were the same or worse, I would sell them.

Workmanship (Quality)

XB

Rostra

Cut Off / Output Shots

XB

Rostra & XB

XB

Look very close, as you can see, the color temperature is the same or very close. They both light up the ground very good. And, if you notice the XB actually has more angle out, to make a wider projection than the Rostra. Its not much, but its enough to say it lights up more ground.

Do you see where the XB's loose its mustard though on the edges? It may be wider, but it looses its intensity, where the Rostra's do not.

Rostra

Rostra

Rostra

The thing I like about the Rostra is the cut off, its a very fine line. The Rostra does not glare nearly as much as the XB. If I was a on coming driver, the XB's would bother me a lot. It glares so much.

Rostra LED Fog PROXB LED Fog PRO

• Great cut off
  • Better quality materials

• Price is Good at $175 + Shipping
  • Little more output
Rostra LED Fog CONXB LED Fog CON

• Price is expensive @ $250 + Shipping at Group Buy Price

• Too much Glare
  • Looses intensity on the side

Final Thoughts, I'll stick with the Rostra's. But, anymore in them market can grab the XB's for less money with very similar light output, light color, and usability.

I hope this helps!
At the risk of sounding like a total lighting noob, how do you install the wires off the lamp into the black plugs?

·
Registered
7,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Which side should be positive and negative? Just did the wires on one light THEN realized it isn't a symmetrical connector.. (one long side has a pin on top, one doesn't..)
Red on the light is positive, it lines up with the grey wire on the car side connector. I don't know if polarity matters for the housings, but I know it does with individual LED bulbs. The wire with the stripe is ground on the chassis harness.

If you have a pick tool of very small screwdriver, you can release the pins if you need to.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Red on the light is positive, it lines up with the grey wire on the car side connector. I don't know if polarity matters for the housings, but I know it does with individual LED bulbs. The wire with the stripe is ground on the chassis harness.

If you have a pick tool of very small screwdriver, you can release the pins if you need to.
Soooo how do you release the pins? It was wired wrong...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Use a precision flat head screw driver. Push the tabs inward, and pull out. :D

GL
We got it, took some screwing around but it came out, and fogs are installed now, they look awesome! I'm really impressed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks great Joe! I'm definitely interested in a set of these at some point down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
WalterWhiteST
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing