Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to wrap my roof myself as I've worked with vinyl a ton. I really like the 3m 1080, but I wouldn't mind using some Oracle or other high quality (pref with perforated technology) vinyls. I've never had to order a large qty before. Is there an online vendor for vinyl you guys trust or am I better off trying to get some locally?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I'm going to wrap my roof myself as I've worked with vinyl a ton. I really like the 3m 1080, but I wouldn't mind using some Oracle or other high quality (pref with perforated technology) vinyls. I've never had to order a large qty before. Is there an online vendor for vinyl you guys trust or am I better off trying to get some locally?
There are definitely some options online that are highly regarded (such as the king - 3m) Some people even go with cheaper Amazon rolls and since it's a relatively low-impact area (sun damage will be the only issue for you in Phoenix.. I'd have issues in cold weather [brushing snow off or something] as well as sun) you could get away with cheaper options and just replace it more often. @BlueHaloGirl what did your previous owner use if you know? (unless I'm mistaken and you did it yourself...you're the only OW wrapped roof owner I can think of)

Edit: Also doing it locally at a shop shouldn't be too much...it IS just your roof and not body panels that are much more difficult. I'd get quotes just in case.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are definitely some options online that are highly regarded (such as the king - 3m) Some people even go with cheaper Amazon rolls and since it's a relatively low-impact area (sun damage will be the only issue for you in Phoenix.. I'd have issues in cold weather [brushing snow off or something] as well as sun) you could get away with cheaper options and just replace it more often. @BlueHaloGirl what did your previous owner use if you know? (unless I'm mistaken and you did it yourself...you're the only OW wrapped roof owner I can think of)

Edit: Also doing it locally at a shop shouldn't be too much...it IS just your roof and not body panels that are much more difficult. I'd get quotes just in case.
I didn't think of going directly to 3m. I was quoted 220 bucks which is more than I'm willing to pay for how easy the roof is to wrap. I'm guess material is only $60 for some good stuff.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I have to admit that is a fair price for professional installation, The value just isn't there for me because I've worked with vinyl so much in the past and really don't mind doing it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I didn't think of going directly to 3m. I was quoted 220 bucks which is more than I'm willing to pay for how easy the roof is to wrap. I'm guess material is only $60 for some good stuff.
Although I have to admit that is a fair price for professional installation, The value just isn't there for me because I've worked with vinyl so much in the past and really don't mind doing it.
Honestly doing it yourself would probably not even be $60 but I might be shooting short there. As someone who hasn't worked with vinyl but has looked into it a lot the roof looks like a cakewalk. I've considered doing it myself but the contrast on PB isn't as cool as OW :(

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly doing it yourself would probably not even be $60 but I might be shooting short there. As someone who hasn't worked with vinyl but has looked into it a lot the roof looks like a cakewalk. I've considered doing it myself but the contrast on PB isn't as cool as OW :(
Still looks really nice. There's definitely a technique to it. Material has a surprising influence on the outcome. Just like anything else with body/paint/detailing prep is everything.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used Avery in satin black, i got 5ftx7ft. cost me about 120.00 shipped from Metro Styling, took me about 2 hrs including prep, and help of my sister. Make sure you get help from another person.
Avery is very easy to work with.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for double-posting here. Anyone wrap the roof? It looks like the antenna might be a PITA to remove. It's small enough I should be able to wrap around it but would like some insight from someone who has done the project in the past. I'm fairly certain I can wrap (without seams) around the antenna, but I'm OCD and it will bother the living sh!t out of me if for some reason I can't get it to be seamless.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used Avery in satin black, i got 5ftx7ft. cost me about 120.00 shipped from Metro Styling, took me about 2 hrs including prep, and help of my sister. Make sure you get help from another person.
Avery is very easy to work with.
Good info, thanks. Did you wrap around the antenna or remove the antenna? I will 100% need a helper for this, wife is helping and she doesn't even know it yet. 120 seems a bit steep for material, did you get an install kit with it or something? With your 5x7, were you able to wrap the center section (top) of the wing as well or did it just fit the roof?

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I will 100% need a helper for this, wife is helping and she doesn't even know it yet.
LMAO :lol: :RockOn: in for final result when you do it. It would be damn hard to go around that antenna without removal...that's literally your only challenge.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The antenna comes off easily, but you need to pull the headliner down to get to the bolt to take it loose. And that requires at least the C pillars to be removed, maybe the B pillars two depending on how careful you want to be not to crease the headliner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I removed the antenna and rain guards and wing. All relatively easy to remove. The bolt for the antenna is 8mm i believe. Then I prepped the surface. Clayed the roof including the outer edges of the windshield, I got a hard plastic card like a credit card and a microfiber towel, and cleaned the edge to get all the dirt and grime out. Then a tack cloth and cleaned all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Then I got my helper to hold one end of the vinyl while we both remove the backing and position the vinyl. I just then glassed as much as possible. I then Squeege'd the roof but i sprayed clay lube to avoid scratching the surface. After I hit it with heat to expose any air bubbles that are trapped and have it settle. Then trim the edges and tuck the vinyl at the windshield area. then heat it once again. and presto! The low initial tack that Avery has made it super easy to reposition the vinyl. Yes I was able to do the roof and the hatch top.

·
Registered
224 Posts

My roof actually is not vinyl wrapped. My roof is liquid (dip) wrapped with a Black Betty Pearl. It's got about 8-9 base layers of black sprayed then a layer of the pearl. As a matter of fact my entire car is liquid wrapped Satin white but I'm stock OW underneath. The pearl looks wicked in the sun.
There's a lot of hate for dip but if it's done right it lasts a long time and is great. It helps a ton against rock chips as long as its applied thick. There are specialized detailing products for dip as well so it's easy to take care of just different. My car was pulled apart when it was sprayed, lights, door handles, trim all came off instead of taping things off. Mine was done by a shop in a paint booth. 22450160_10155731235471303_2679347342030363090_n.jpg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My roof actually is not vinyl wrapped. My roof is liquid (dip) wrapped with a Black Betty Pearl. It's got about 8-9 base layers of black sprayed then a layer of the pearl. As a matter of fact my entire car is liquid wrapped Satin white but I'm stock OW underneath. The pearl looks wicked in the sun.
There's a lot of hate for dip but if it's done right it lasts a long time and is great. It helps a ton against rock chips as long as its applied thick. There are specialized detailing products for dip as well so it's easy to take care of just different. My car was pulled apart when it was sprayed, lights, door handles, trim all came off instead of taping things off. Mine was done by a shop in a paint booth. View attachment 299217
Dip always looks great when prepped and applied correctly. Rather go Vinyl on the roof though.

Reactions: BlueHaloGirl

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
There's a lot of hate for dip but if it's done right it lasts a long time and is great. It helps a ton against rock chips as long as its applied thick. There are specialized detailing products for dip as well so it's easy to take care of just different. My car was pulled apart when it was sprayed, lights, door handles, trim all came off instead of taping things off. Mine was done by a shop in a paint booth. View attachment 299217
Ah, my bad. I wrongly assumed you'd dipped the car and wrapped the roof. Nice! Probably works better this way anyway. Still looks amazing. :cool: Probably my favorite white ST

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
There's a lot of hate for dip
Most of the time it's either due to piss poor application (rattle can, or bad spray technique) or going cheap and not doing enough coats (then it won't peel off easily) like everything else, if its done right and done well the outcome will be great and most people can't tell that's its not a wrap. Heck I can't tell you how many real paint jobs I've seen that have come out just terrible because it wasn't done right...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts