Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done putting the Mountune RMM in my '16 FoST (wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought). One BIG question/issue. I torqued the bolts down per specs. Only thing was one of the top bolts was completely inaccessible with my torque wrench (not a bolt on the Mountune part). There was no way to get in there. I got a feel wrenching down the others and got it as close as I felt comfortable with, using a box end. I do not believe I over tightened it. Even though I know it is not necessary, I did use a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads as a precaution. In anyones opinion, should it be OK??? I'd really like to get some feedback from those in the know before I take it out for a spin. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Done this motor mount change 3 different times. Did not use torque specs for anything besides the bolt going through the motor mount.
Just make sure everything is securely bolted down.
Other than that no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Just got done putting the Mountune RMM in my '16 FoST (wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought). One BIG question/issue. I torqued the bolts down per specs. Only thing was one of the top bolts was completely inaccessible with my torque wrench (not a bolt on the Mountune part). There was no way to get in there. I got a feel wrenching down the others and got it as close as I felt comfortable with, using a box end. I do not believe I over tightened it. Even though I know it is not necessary, I did use a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads as a precaution. In anyones opinion, should it be OK??? I'd really like to get some feedback from those in the know before I take it out for a spin. Thanks in advance!
I too have done this job a few times, and concur somewhat what the above post. Firstly, I bought myself some ratcheting end wrenches for those tricky little guys, which made it a whole lot easier. I hand tightened those with no issues. The only two I spec torqued were a) bolt linking RMM to frame and b) bolt linking RMM to the .... the name now escapes me ... bracket thingy which attaches to motor. Also, my last one was the mountune, and I rather enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too have done this job a few times, and concur somewhat what the above post. Firstly, I bought myself some ratcheting end wrenches for those tricky little guys, which made it a whole lot easier. I hand tightened those with no issues. The only two I spec torqued were a) bolt linking RMM to frame and b) bolt linking RMM to the .... the name now escapes me ... bracket thingy which attaches to motor. Also, my last one was the mountune, and I rather enjoy it!
The bolt in question was the only one I couldn't use a torque wrench on. I used a 15mm ratcheting box end the best I could for the hard to get one. Took it for a spin and noticed only a slight vibration. But I do find the car a bit tricky to launch now in 1st. It'll just take some getting used to. Overall, I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference with the new RMM on there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You might pick up a set of crows feet or torque wrench adapters/extensions. These work great for torquing hard to reach fasteners. Just make sure you make the proper adjustments to your torque specs as extension will change actual torque applied to the fastener vs what the wrench is s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
What stiffer roll restrictor would be accepted by Ford to maintain the factory warranty?
I'd like to change it, it feels too "soft". Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,
What stiffer roll restrictor would be accepted by Ford to maintain the factory warranty?
I'd like to change it, it feels too "soft". Thanks
All of them, I recommend Mountune though.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks,
I tried it for a day, (Mountune) I don't like it.
So I am selling it, anyone?
$100.00
They take a few hundred miles to break in and the nvh will reduce, and if you're tuned, your tuner can bump the idle and eliminate the nvh almost completely

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, and I call myself an NVH engineer
Thanks mate, so far I put it back in the original one

I will send it to our development center to do 3 cycles for braking in.
You are correct, that is the way MCU is working

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the Mountune RMM and now notice an added random vibration that can be felt in the pedals. I double checked the install and everything is tight. The sound is almost like something is loose but is random so far. I dont know if anyone else has had this happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts