Ford Focus ST Forum banner

461 - 475 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought a used set of the Deluxe front and rears from a local ST owner and finished the install today. I'm very happy with the lower profile look of these compared to the huge flapper guards that are out there. Instructions are basic and hand drawn, but easier than some of the Chinese translation stuff I've had to interpret over the years LOL. I'm not sure what to expect in the winter with ice and frozen snow, and hope these hold up.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some real instructions would be nice. The included screws do not grip the threads in any of the nut plates.

So do I just put the oem bolts back in and just tap all 4 screws in? I understand the outer screw on the bottom creates a new hole but the other 3 do not thread to any of the nut plates.

2 hours spent messing with these and I've gotten nowhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone else get the new deluxe rock guards and the long screws that came with it were the wrong diameter to work? The short screw was correct...really frustrating considering how much these were....I replaced rockblockz with these since I drag the rockblockz when cornering hard...and do think these look nice installed, but the hardware was so much nicer on the rockblockz and useless from zr1...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone else get the new deluxe rock guards and the long screws that came with it were the wrong diameter to work? The short screw was correct...really frustrating considering how much these were....I replaced rockblockz with these since I drag the rockblockz when cornering hard...and do think these look nice installed, but the hardware was so much nicer on the rockblockz and useless from zr1...
I think that's the issue I am running into as well. The holes line up but the long screws don't thread into the nut plates, just pass through them, right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Correct that's the issue I had...I noticed the small screw was a bigger diameter, so I found longer screws with a bigger diameter in my garage and worked to Install them...I really like the look and fu action of the actual guard, but the hardware they sent for the price is completely useless....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just installed their front and rear rock guards - nice product! Install was easy and pretty straight forward. The hand-drawn illustration was actually kind of funny but definitely served it's purpose to assist installing the rears. Total time installing was about an hour for all four but I was watching a movie while I was doing it. No issues with any of mounting hardware.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Installed the fronts a couple of weeks ago. Super easy. Attempted to install the rears today and it seemed it was going to be ok until I realized they should have given me two 2” screws in place of the 1” screws. Now I wait for support to send me the correct screws.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got around to installing these and like most, the fronts went on easy but the rears are kind of fussy. My main issue is I can't get screw B to bite into the plastic. I know some of you have used nut-clips/speed-nuts. Can you let me know what size to get from amazon? (yes i'm too lazy to take the screw to home depot)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just tried to install mine. Not sure if Ford got sloppy with hole alignment and pop rivets or what. My car is a 2018, less than 2 years old since date of manufacture. The plastic pop rivets did what pop rivets do (though I was surprised given how new they are) and about half broke. I think it would be great if they charged and extra $10 and added 6, longer than OEM replacement pop rivets. It's a real push to get them actually into the metal/plastic bodywork. On my driver's side 2/3 are only into the liner itself. I am concerned they will not stay put, especially when speeds reach deep into triple digits.

I allowed ZL1 to contact me on Facebook when I ordered and that was nice. Order updates came by both facebook and email and they sent a nice automated message asking for feedback. I sent them my story a few minutes ago. Hopefully they are helpful. Hours are 7:30-1:30 Pacific Time? The heck? They must be at the track every afternoon while the n00bz pack the day's orders. I will say shipping was quick.

I am waiting to install my Falken Azenis RT615K+ tires until these are on. The whole reason I bought rock guards was because I am going down in treadwear from the OEMs and I know personally 200TW tires snatch and throw chunks of anything not firmly attached to the pavement surface, especially when hot (I am in FL). I strongly considered Rally Armor, but jeebus they are ugly IMO. Thought about buying some RAs and trimming them down to my preferred size but then I found the ZL1s, thought it would require less work.

Oh well. Now that the fronts are on they do look nice. Once they get back in contact with me and I get the full set installed I will report back. I just want to be clear, I am not blaming ZL1 per se, just reporting my experience. It could very well be Ford, I wouldn't put it past them to move the pop rivet holes a millimeter or increase the thickness of their fender lines just for poops and laughs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Follow up. Rear install was ridiculously easy with the wheels off. ZL1 never responded to my Facebook contact. I will work to solve the front issue myself. I like them a lot. The wife even commented they look nice yet subtle.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Follow up. Rear install was ridiculously easy with the wheels off. ZL1 never responded to my Facebook contact. I will work to solve the front issue myself. I like them a lot. The wife even commented they look nice yet subtle.
You can get a whole kit of retainer clips if you're regularly pulling off interior panels and such. I got them because we we're kind of ATVs and dirtbikes and he done to hold the plastics and fairings on. If you only need a few you can go to Lowe's or home Depot and get them in the fasteners.

GOOACC 240PCS Bumper Retainer Clips Car Plastic Rivets Fasteners Push Retainer Kit Most Popular Sizes Auto Push Pin Rivets Set -Door Trim Panel Fender Clips for GM Ford Toyota Honda Chrysler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6FJGR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tJioEb874ZFRR

461 - 475 of 475 Posts