Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I have a 2013 Ford Focus ST, and I Have a check engine light on for the code PO456, (the small evap leak), and I am going to be going to going on a road trip over 1500 miles. I was wondering if it was safe to drive on. And if you guys could give me any tips on traveling from CA to MN. Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not a big deal. Prolly a leaky gas cap or something stupid. Just means the gas tank is venting a little bit.,

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Hi everyone,

So I have a 2013 Ford Focus ST, and I Have a check engine light on for the code PO456, (the small evap leak), and I am going to be going to going on a road trip over 1500 miles. I was wondering if it was safe to drive on. And if you guys could give me any tips on traveling from CA to MN. Thanks
Mine has been on for over a month now. I'll clear the code and it'll stay off for a couple weeks then come back. From what I've been able to find the capless valve starts to take a crap after a while. The part is around $70 if I remember right. I just haven't cared enough to swap it out yet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had an evap leak on my old cavalier and drove that thing for 20k, you'll be fine

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I had an evap leak on my old cavalier and drove that thing for 20k, you'll be fine
That's quite common in those stupid things. I think Cobalts do it too. My cavalier (currently my girlfriends) has had the check engine light on since day one and I don't plan on changing out the O2 or the gas cap anytime soon. It'll be on there til it dies lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
That's quite common in those stupid things. I think Cobalts do it too. My cavalier (currently my girlfriends) has had the check engine light on since day one and I don't plan on changing out the O2 or the gas cap anytime soon. It'll be on there til it dies lol
That thing was definition of ****box. Was on my way to pick up an 04 VR6, dad told me I should really consider this $500 cavalier from his coworker. Fine. I buy it, it was PA inspected. Can't pass NJ inspection for misfire code and evap code and both of those require a parts cannon so screw that so I buy an illegal inspection sticker for $150. Muffler fell off when I was heading out to school in Erie from NJ as I was pulling off 80, thankfully not highway speed, drove over said muffler, had a flat, had to change the flat at a gas station and drive the remaining 300 miles on a donut spare. Twice more random bits of metal fell off on 80, lasted 2 years from 209k to 230k or so and the breaking point was when I was coming back at the end of a school year and 5 miles from my house the remainder of the exhaust rusted out and broke in the midsection and fell off and was dragging because it was held on by a coat hanger. Bought a new car and sold the cav as a derby car and it did great, only reason it got knocked out was the axle fell out of the transmission, otherwise it was still running.

That thing could take anything you threw at it, and I tell you what, easiest oil changes I've ever done. No contortionist needed for this at all, the filter was even accessible from the top of the car so no oil dripped down your arm. It was a love hate thing we had. As I'm writing this, I kinda miss it and want to pick up another one just to beat up, but man, what a piece of **** it was haha

Anyway, OP, based on my experience with my old POS cav, you'll be fine, leterrip

Reactions: brian60
1 - 8 of 8 Posts