Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm fairly low and hit a puddle in a rain storm. It ripped out the skin plate that's under my FMIC. It tore out some screws on on the actual plastic "skid plate" and also torn out the female ends attached to the bumper. Like a 50:50 amount. Do you guys have any advice? I do not want to drive without it with my fmic that exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
You'll be fine without it. It's funny you say you don't want the FMIC exposed when you took the lower grill out so there are huge holes right in front of it lol.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there's a thread that has part numbers for stronger fasteners that you should be able push into place of the red ones that pulled out. Or you can find the p/n of the red ones on here as well as the screws

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll be fine without it. It's funny you say you don't want the FMIC exposed when you took the lower grill out so there are huge holes right in front of it lol.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there's a thread that has part numbers for stronger fasteners that you should be able push into place of the red ones that pulled out. Or you can find the p/n of the red ones on here as well as the screws

I do not want it exposed from underneath.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Self tapping screws? Not familiar with them. Have done all the work on my car and would like to be able to remove the plate in the future to upgrade my charge pipes eventually. Will self tapping screws prevent that? Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edit* oh yeah, self tapping screws I feel retarded.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Before you go ghetto with zip ties and drilling... is anything actually broken? Are the red push nuts (seen in the last pic) ruined? Are the push-lock fasteners broken where it attaches to the fascia? Are the holes for the fasteners in the fascia ripped?

What I mean by push-lock fasteners:

I have lots of spare red push-nuts I can send you if you need new ones, and the metal screws they go with if you lost any. I probably have some push-lock fasteners also. If the aero shield itself is broken I might be able to snag one from a junkyard in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you go ghetto with zip ties and drilling... is anything actually broken? Are the red push nuts (seen in the last pic) ruined? Are the push-lock fasteners broken where it attaches to the fascia? Are the holes for the fasteners in the fascia ripped?

What I mean by push-lock fasteners:
View attachment 249145

I have lots of spare red push-nuts I can send you if you need new ones, and the metal screws they go with if you lost any. I probably have some push-lock fasteners also. If the aero shield itself is broken I might be able to snag one from a junkyard in a couple weeks.
Hey man thats amazingly kind of you to offer that material help. That "skid plate" itself was alright, but the female screw holes attached to the bumper were ripped out as well as both red push nuts. I ended up getting some large "push tap" plastic screw type things very similar to the picture you posted. I used a drill to make new holes and fastened then in an OEM fashion. I also used large ones in place of the red push nuts. I need to take off the passenger side wheel to drill 1 more hold to fasten it but otherwise it is fixed. Thank you for the advice and help everyone it is why these forums are great.

Reactions: Loki C346
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.