Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2014 MK3 FoST MRX EFR Turbo Tangerine Scream (German Built)
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
I'm not ready for this wave of massive cars, I'll go kicking and screaming before they make me buy an SUV or a CUV.

the push to EV is going to give us alot of bigger cars to fit the battery, likely why they are discontinuing the focus.
F it! I'm going to take all these ST parts and convert an Escape!

You're stuck on the side of the road out of charge, AAA shows up.

Now the both of you are stuck there until your battery is charged enough take it to a EV charging station. Now you're stuck there as well....

Nonsense, all of it!

Super Moderator
F it! I'm going to take all these ST parts and convert an Escape!

You're stuck on the side of the road out of charge, AAA shows up.

Now the both of you are stuck there until your battery is charged enough take it to a EV charging station. Now you're stuck there as well....

Nonsense, all of it!
Just so you can charge it with electricity generated with coal...Makes perfect sense... 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I know of a family that took a road trip in their Tesla. Apparently, it was not a pleasant drive. There weren't that many changing stations on that route, so the entire trip was filled with anxiety. To the extent that they had to turn off their air conditioning just to make it to the next charging station. They had two young kids with them in the car. Imagine running out of charge in a less-than-friendly neighborhood with kids in the backseat. And then there was the charging time.

Apparently EVs are the next cool thing, as we all know. The trendy folks don't pause to think that when their cars eventually go to the scrapyard with others, there will be thousands of toxic batteries being sent to less economically affluent countries to be buried in some landfill. People think they are solving a problem, but don't realize that one problem is being solved while another is being created. (This was pointed out by @SSgtjrobertson in another thread, if I recall correctly.) And, as @ddfred mentioned, we are burning fossil fuels to generate this electricity. Funny to see what lengths the politicians will go through just to force their agenda down peoples' throats. And how people follow trends blindly based on what is fed to them, without pausing to think independently for themselves.

I'll go on the record and say that I despise SUVs. The Europeans have been doing it in style with wagons all this time, and still do. Just look at the storage space in some of those old Volvo wagons. My point is that if space is a concern to a family, a wagon would fit that bill as well as an SUV. Seating for five, and as much trunk space, if not more. And, it will drive better as a bonus feature. Too bad that trend died in this country over time. I've heard that SUV some owners buy SUVs because they prefer the elevation it provides them to tower over other drivers on the road. Epic.

Premium Member
...Imagine running out of charge in a less-than-friendly neighborhood with kids in the backseat....
Essentially, it鈥檚 not much different than running out of gas in a sketchy neighborhood. But to @ssgtrobertson 鈥榮 point of needing to call AAA...it鈥檚 hard to carry a can of electricity back to your car when you need to take that walk of shame.

Notwithstanding the pious, condescending attitude of many EV protagonists, I won鈥檛 be considering buying an EV until charging stations have a similar degree of ubiquity as old school Dinoco stations.

Who knows, I may one day begin caring about the environment and decide to stay with ICE engine in order to forego contributing to all those dead batteries and extra tires littering the landfills and leaching their toxins into the ground. I鈥檒l blow the soot out of my own coal roller rather than turn my naive/agenda driven blind eye to the corporation who is serving as my polluting proxy. I can one day sanctimoniously throw them under the bus when I need to blame someone for the world鈥檚 problems.

Oh, and to your point about burning fossil fuels so I can feel good about powering my environment saving car with electricity - that logic doesn't fit the narrative so you need to be cancelled!! I鈥檓 tolerant of everyone as long as they see the world my way.

Registered
Yes, I was referring to both the difficulty of AAA getting a charge out to the stranded driver, as well as the extra time it would take to actually charge the battery compared to filling a tank with gas and getting back on the road relatively quickly. Generally speaking, a stranded EV owner is going to spend a longer amount of time getting back on the road than an ICE vehicle owner - that's the point I was trying to make.

Premium Member
Yes, I was referring to both the difficulty of AAA getting a charge out to the stranded driver, as well as the extra time it would take to actually charge the battery compared to filling a tank with gas and getting back on the road relatively quickly. Generally speaking, a stranded EV owner is going to spend a longer amount of time getting back on the road than an ICE vehicle owner - that's the point I was trying to make.
I'm with you @MacawMania ;) I was merely using your comments as an opportunity to be a jag bag toward any snobby, EV troglydyte who happens upon this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: MacawMania

Registered
I'm with you @MacawMania ;) I was merely using your comments as an opportunity to be a jag bag toward any snobby, EV troglydyte who happens upon this thread.
Yes, love your jabs towards those folks. Although, they'd probably say that we are the jealous lot who are trying to hang on to our outdated dinosaurs. Oh well, my dinosaur roars when asked to, is rough around the edges, is anything but an image of being neutered or sterile, is less portly than something with a battery, and never fails to put a smile on my face when asked to. Couldn't ask for more.

Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
What about another angle on this debacle. Currently we have a generation of mechanics that can barely work on the electrical systems of modern day cars let alone the newest generation of EV vehicles.

Almost every mechanic I've ever asked what personally felt was the weakest aspect of their job performance is has responded with a single thing. Electrical!

Registered
What about another angle on this debacle. Currently we have a generation of mechanics that can barely work on the electrical systems of modern day cars let alone the newest generation of EV vehicles.

Almost every mechanic I've ever asked what personally felt was the weakest aspect of their job performance is has responded with a single thing. Electrical!
That's true too. I'll quote the cliched statement that cars are computers on wheels now. With proprietary, encrypted software modules that compel an owner to go back to the manufacturer for service and repair. Cars are going from being purely mechanical devices to electro-mechanical machines, with more and more emphasis being placed on the electrical part.

And don't get me started about the remote hacking possibilities. As some folks might already know, researchers have been able to remotely hack cars and control their steering, braking, and other electrical aspects while the car is on the street. Fun times ahead.

Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1

Registered
Remember that the momentum for nixing the Focus may well have started before russia decided to be sociopaths and invade a sovereign country. Fuel prices are high and climbing, and I can imagine a scenario where small relatively fuel efficient cars enjoy stay of execution.

Registered
The EV issue is an interesting one. For the most part I am EV-curious, but in no rush. I really want to drive one to be honest, just to see what it's like. However, I rather love the imperfections of the ICE and manual trans. I remember having two motorcycles at one point. One had a single cylinder aircooled motor and the other a smooth reving V-twin. If I bought a motorcycle today, I'd go looking at a single cylinder air cooled motor. It was just so much fun, even if it was slower. Putt, putt, putt, brrrrrrr..... Same thing for the focus. I'm pretty sure that in a straight line our mini van is faster (remember I'm stock, and I'm imagining a rolling start), but without shifting gears myself I am without purpose. I like being the brain behind the car, not the car babysitting me with sensors.

My only concern with EV's, as many of the issues can be resolved through future development of infrastructure and changing our attitudes about what to expect from a car, is the damn toxic batteries. Recycling those things is a money loser and even then you most of it will end up in a land fill anyways, along with all the wonder acids and fumes from processing it. Alternatively, you can landfill it, but it's basically a ground water disaster waiting to happen. I'd like to at least know they are going to handle them like we handle nuclear waste, placed some where far, far, far from civilization. Oh wait, that's still a work in progress too... Hmmm... yup. It's the efin batteries.

As an example of adapting to the technology, I suspect the solution to running out of juice will come in the form of a short range portable battery that you return to a drop point once you reach your destination, with an obligatory rental fee. I remember having a car years ago that had a parasitic drain on the battery. So we carried a spare battery to jump start the car. Once the alternator was running, everything was ok. And once a week or so we'd charge up the spare battery. As EV's become more wide spread, creative solutions and expectations will change.

And also consider what state you live in. EV's will be purchased regionally. I suspect the ICE still has a lot of life left in it, as the infrastructure will roll out gradually and be much much much much much more prevalent in urban areas, and non-existing in others. Remember, when we say a projected 2050 EV 50% average in America, what we really mean is 70% in this state and 5% in six other smaller states.

Registered
And yes, I'm still bitter about Ford's continued discontinuation of passenger cars of all types. I'm hanging on the ST, because it's the last Ford I may ever buy. Which is disappointing. The last time I needed a pickup truck, I rented one for $30 for the day. The mini van pulls truck duty 99% of time we need to move something. Oh, but mini vans are another shrinking market. And not cheap either.

Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
Cartoon Font Line Technology Event

1 - 20 of 23 Posts