Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to lose it! I have a clunking noise in the right rear of my 13' ST. The noise started before I lowered it. Since it started I have replaced the following...
Rear shocks (now Bilstein B8)
Rear Sway Bar (Megan Racing)
Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Camber Control Arms (Megan Racing)
End Links (Steeda Adjustable) Installed properly with car on the ground and weight on the suspension.
Wheel Hub

AND IT STILL CLUNKS! Mostly over small bumps or potholes. I can stand in the hatch area and jump up and down and it doesn't do it. Push the car side to side and nothing. Took the spare tire out and it still does it.

Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
393 Posts
This was a common issue on mustangs and happened on all three that I owned. It's the springs. Pull them and wrap the ends in electrical tape. Reinstall and it should go away. Only happens on bumps or divets in the road

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
This was a common issue on mustangs and happened on all three that I owned. It's the springs. Pull them and wrap the ends in electrical tape. Reinstall and it should go away. Only happens on bumps or divets in the road
How can a completely different car, on a completely different platform, frame, suspension, fit here? Oh hey, my Aston Martin does this, so your Ford Focus must have the same issue... It doesn't work that way.
No one on this forum has complained about the factory springs clunking. Even lowering springs still have lots of preload on them. You need to use a jack to lower the suspension arm and push it backup to get it back together. That much tension, it ain't going to clunk.

That said, the MOST common clunk are endlinks. But the funny thing is that you think it's the right side. Look on the left side too. Because on my car, that is the same as your car, that shares the same suspension... I heard a clunk on the right, but it was actually the left swaybar endlink with a missing nut on the bolt head going through the swaybar blade.
I also had an issue with the B8's where I had to add not one, but two washers and a lock washer, as I couldnt get the lower bolt secured down all the way. The washers took up the slack for me. It should be obvious if the bolt head is not all the way flush with the bottom eyelet?

·
Registered
181 Posts
For my OEM suspension, the clunk I was getting in the passenger side rear was due to the lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
For my OEM suspension, the clunk I was getting in the passenger side rear was due to the lower control arm bushings.
How did you figure that out if you don't mind my asking?

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
How can a completely different car, on a completely different platform, frame, suspension, fit here? Oh hey, my Aston Martin does this, so your Ford Focus must have the same issue... It doesn't work that way.
No one on this forum has complained about the factory springs clunking. Even lowering springs still have lots of preload on them. You need to use a jack to lower the suspension arm and push it backup to get it back together. That much tension, it ain't going to clunk.

That said, the MOST common clunk are endlinks. But the funny thing is that you think it's the right side. Look on the left side too. Because on my car, that is the same as your car, that shares the same suspension... I heard a clunk on the right, but it was actually the left swaybar endlink with a missing nut on the bolt head going through the swaybar blade.
I also had an issue with the B8's where I had to add not one, but two washers and a lock washer, as I couldnt get the lower bolt secured down all the way. The washers took up the slack for me. It should be obvious if the bolt head is not all the way flush with the bottom eyelet?
Kind of a poor response... I'll tell you how they coorelate. A spring seat is a spring seat no matter what car it is as long as it's running rear coils.
A crapped out spark plug in a Ferarri will throw a miss the same way it will in a honda civic.

No need to be condesending. My rear spring popped out of seat after the springs settled. I had a clunking in the rear the same way as this.
Fact of the matter is knowlege comes from past experiences and working with people.
Take your crap attitude and step aside.

I bet you an end link on my focus clunks the same was as an end link on a mustang...

·
Registered
181 Posts
How did you figure that out if you don't mind my asking?
I initially speculated that it was an end link or the shock mount, as that seems the typical diagnosis here. During an oil change at CarMax (where I work), I had it checked it out while it was up on the lift. The technician identified that the bushings were worn on the control arm and causing a rattle. He recommended replacing them, and that solved the issue. Of course, this won't necessarily apply to all other situations, but it's worth noting to check ALL bushings involved in the suspension when trying to figure out where that annoying rattle, clink, or clunk is coming from.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you check your exhaust system? See if all the hangers are properly connected. Also, grab it and move it around. It could be hitting up against something when you go over bumps.

·
Registered
393 Posts

Grow up. That kind of attitude isn't right on any forum. Give your opinion on the issue and help how you can. Talking to anyone like you did will get your ass beat in a hurry when you're not behind a keyboard just a friendly tip.

That all out of the way. How's the clunking been going OP?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Grow up. That kind of attitude isn't right on any forum. Give your opinion on the issue and help how you can. Talking to anyone like you did will get your ass beat in a hurry when you're not behind a keyboard just a friendly tip.

That all out of the way. How's the clunking been going OP?
You got a cute mouth we should hang out. *lat flare*

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I think I finally fixed it!!! I think..... right rear top shock mount. A $25.00 part. Have to drive it more to make sure but the short drive I took today seemed to be clunk free.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Man, you spent $25 for it? It was $10 with like $6 or 7 shipping on oemfordpart.com I think when I bought it! Haha they ripped you off a few bucks.

In the end though I'd be happy, fixing anything on a car for under $50 feels good.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, you spent $25 for it? It was $10 with like $6 or 7 shipping on oemfordpart.com I think when I bought it! Haha they ripped you off a few bucks.

In the end though I'd be happy, fixing anything on a car for under $50 feels good.

Not only did I spend too much....it STILL MAKES THE CLUNK!!! I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars but this is driving me insane!! Typically only at low speeds, below 35mph.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
?All I gotta say is endlinks disconnect sound will go away . Then properly adjust?

Did that last week with the rear wheels on ramps. No other way I could get under it. I think I?ll disconnect the sway bar and go for a short drive and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Not only did I spend too much....it STILL MAKES THE CLUNK!!! I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars but this is driving me insane!! Typically only at low speeds, below 35mph.
If it was that bracket you would know. Mine was literally snapped. Perhaps you replaced a part that wasn't broke? It isn't your rear seats is it? There is a reported issue with the hinge on the rear seats breaking or something. Put the rear seats down and see if it changes the sound or anything and inspect them. Just a thought

1 - 20 of 21 Posts