Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately the idle has been very rough and sometimes the car would stall on the initial cold start and would be very rich sitting at (9.55-10) AFR at idle and i don't know what the issue is and i would get a P2196 code and when clearing it the car would start up fine and AFR would become normal sitting at (14.55-14.70) , i've changed my o2 sensor and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
573 Posts
Sounds like you either have an primary O2 sensor failing or you are restricted in air flow.

I know that your FBO but what has changed lately or what does you maintenance schedule look like?

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry new to this website idk why it put what i wrote in that grey box

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
573 Posts
No worries, what tuner are you using? Can post up some logs?
The very nature of these DI engines make for rich AFR, especially at cold start up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m tuned by stratified, what should i log?, I’ve never had this issue before where it would run soo rich that it will throw a check engine code and it would stall on startup and would stay rich until i shut it off and turn it back on.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
573 Posts
Well there are several factors here. You've covered the majority of the initial items, plugs and what not. Now you need to check physical airflow restrictions, like carbon buildup on the intake valves or intake obstructions. That are preventing adequate airflow.

Then we need to look at temperatures and MAP readings. Ford will actually throw a vehicle into a over temperature condition or "limp mode" if it believes that temperatures are too high. This condition will actually over fuel the engine in an attempt to cool it down. This mode will stay engaged until cleared regardless if the temperatures return to a normal range or not.

Another item is to look at the MAP sensors output at rest both with the engine off and running. A failure here could also cause an over rich condition due to the sensor thinking that boost pressure is higher than normal.

J

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
522 Posts
Any chance that a KAM reset would fix it? If the keep alive memory had parameters in it based upon a failing O2 sensor, and now it's reading correctly (and thus throwing off the learned values), then it could be that the computer hasn't adjusted yet and needs to be reset to defaults.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i took two datalogs but i am not quite sure they are correct so ill take another datalog tomorrow but these are the datalogs Gofile

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chance that a KAM reset would fix it? If the keep alive memory had parameters in it based upon a failing O2 sensor, and now it's reading correctly (and thus throwing off the learned values), then it could be that the computer hasn't adjusted yet and needs to be reset to defaults.
i did try that using my accessport but the issue kept coming back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there are several factors here. You've covered the majority of the initial items, plugs and what not. Now you need to check physical airflow restrictions, like carbon buildup on the intake valves or intake obstructions. That are preventing adequate airflow.

Then we need to look at temperatures and MAP readings. Ford will actually throw a vehicle into a over temperature condition or "limp mode" if it believes that temperatures are too high. This condition will actually over fuel the engine in an attempt to cool it down. This mode will stay engaged until cleared regardless if the temperatures return to a normal range or not.

Another item is to look at the MAP sensors output at rest both with the engine off and running. A failure here could also cause an over rich condition due to the sensor thinking that boost pressure is higher than normal.

J
i have also changed my intake manifold MAP sensor, and i dont believe it is from carbon buildup since the engine is fairly new.

·
Registered
FBO Focus ST2 2014
14 Posts
Suuppp brooo, finally someone here from UAE
I had same your problem, i changed the o2 sensor and did vacuum test and a test for all air sensors but found nothing.
after that i changed the purge valve part number : (bv6z-9d289-e) it will take around 2 weeks to be delivered by our agency.
Check my discussion about it. Rich AFR code P2169

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
FBO Focus ST2 2014
14 Posts
and its running perfect now it was stuck closed i guess so it is not allowing the vapor to go to the intake manifold instead of that it was making more pressure on gas tank i guess.

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suuppp brooo, finally someone here from UAE
I had same your problem, i changed the o2 sensor and did vacuum test and a test for all air sensors but found nothing.
after that i changed the purge valve part number : (bv6z-9d289-e) it will take around 2 weeks to be delivered by our agency.
Check my discussion about it. Rich AFR code P2169
SUUP BRO, heheh finally i thought i was the only one with a 14 focus st in UAE 😂

1 - 17 of 17 Posts