Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was talking with my buddy about how expensive FMIC's are and how most people don't fully use the potential of these big name/expensive FMIC kits on the market. They are fantastically engineered, i get that, they work awesome at high boost. But I DD my FoSt, and i do not plan on doing anything nuts with it, aside from a few Auto-X events here and there. But i did want to get rid of the OEM cooler. As a Nissan Technician, and fabricator, i have seen plastic end tanks separate on oem intercoolers, ive seen the seals start leaking air, ive seen end tanks crack, and ive also measured significant pressure drop and back pressure when i was doing some research a few years back. So we got to talking. I wanted something all aluminum. Nothing fancy, that I have to worry about getting pelted by rocks on the daily, and no fabrication required. Well, a few days later he called me, came by my garage, and dumped a pile of parts on the ground with an intercooler he had laying around and said, ok lets do this. We sorted out mounting, got our hands on ATP elbows and made a nice, cheap, super easy to install FMIC. He said he wanted to throw a few kits on ebay, so he did. Myself and one other local FoSt owner have this kit on my car, and we are both happy with it. The other guy is running a cobb stage 2 tune, with no issues, and I am on the stock map. So i just wanted to share the install video, show the cool thing my buddy is doing, and yea. Enjoy? if you made it this far, you deserve a cookie. Go get a cookie. Mail me a bill for it, and ill buy you that cookie.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Such a savage by not taking the wheels or headlights off!:haha: But awesome video! intersted in seeing the charge temp differnce

·
Registered
142 Posts
So i was talking with my buddy about how expensive FMIC's are and how most people don't fully use the potential of these big name/expensive FMIC kits on the market. They are fantastically engineered, i get that, they work awesome at high boost. But I DD my FoSt, and i do not plan on doing anything nuts with it, aside from a few Auto-X events here and there. But i did want to get rid of the OEM cooler. As a Nissan Technician, and fabricator, i have seen plastic end tanks separate on oem intercoolers, ive seen the seals start leaking air, ive seen end tanks crack, and ive also measured significant pressure drop and back pressure when i was doing some research a few years back. So we got to talking. I wanted something all aluminum. Nothing fancy, that I have to worry about getting pelted by rocks on the daily, and no fabrication required. Well, a few days later he called me, came by my garage, and dumped a pile of parts on the ground with an intercooler he had laying around and said, ok lets do this. We sorted out mounting, got our hands on ATP elbows and made a nice, cheap, super easy to install FMIC. He said he wanted to throw a few kits on ebay, so he did. Myself and one other local FoSt owner have this kit on my car, and we are both happy with it. The other guy is running a cobb stage 2 tune, with no issues, and I am on the stock map. So i just wanted to share the install video, show the cool thing my buddy is doing, and yea. Enjoy? if you made it this far, you deserve a cookie. Go get a cookie. Mail me a bill for it, and ill buy you that cookie.

Great install video!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Take off the headlights and the side clips can be loosened; lots less yanking on the plastic to get the nose off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Such a savage by not taking the wheels or headlights off!:haha: But awesome video! intersted in seeing the charge temp differnce
The Nissan Juke front bumper is held on by similar clips, I figured why the hell not take the same approach with this thing? that white focus's bumper was all messed up from an accident anyway, and my blue one...well...i just did it that way because it was a way easier haha

Great install video!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
thanks!

Take off the headlights and the side clips can be loosened; lots less yanking on the plastic to get the nose off.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
cool... for another $50 you could have a Depo Racing FMIC and have less fittings and a bigger core (at least it looks bigger, no official size on the ebay "special")

Good video but i agree 4 bolts and both lights are gone. not how I would do it but hey got the job done I guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a update to this. I've decied to start towards a gtx turbo swap, so i had RHW make me a kit that has a MUCH larger fmic. The old cooler worked great, had no issues. So he went and made this for me:
rhwfmic.JPG
Core has 100 square inches more of surface area compared to stock, and significantly more over-all core volume. I did a 4th gear pull last night with a handheld scanner on the car, and charge temps hardly moved in 64* temps. They should be throwing it on their ebay store today or tomorrow, along with just the piping kit for people who want to make their own kits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts