RF DSR1 Released 9/19/17, Install thread reviews and instruction

80K views 286 replies 27 participants last post by  SearchMaster 
#1 · (Edited)
Instant coffee Coffee Kopi luwak Ipoh white coffee Small appliance

Rockford Fosgate® -

Saved for my install

Going with 1Loudst suggestion ...
@1LoudST Thanks

on top of the DSR-1, your going to need the Ford specific T harness. haven't heard yet if it will just use the same T harness the Maestro AR uses (thats my bet) or if it will have its own version. if it is the same as the AR, it will probably cost around $40
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2fOaV3...2-Harness.html

so far
$800-$250-$40= $510

one of the best cheaper full system/5ch amps I've used is the pioneer GM-D9605, which can be found for as low as $200 shipped. tons of good clean power cheap.
Pioneer GM-D9605-5-Channel Class D Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote NEW! | eBay

$510-200=$310

and at less than $150 a pair for speakers, the only thing good I like would be pioneer D series, which used to retail for near 200/pr but can often be found for under 100. very clear and detailed and a little on the bright side if you like that (which can be toned down on the DSR-1 if you dont)
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D1.../dp/B00SI4RGIY

$310-$93-$93=$124

and with the extra $124, you can put that toward a little sound deadening and cables and misc stuff for the install. Instant coffee Coffee Kopi luwak Ipoh white coffee Small appliance

See less See more
#3 ·
I ordered mine and got the news it was back ordered, pending release. Today I got the confirmation from Crutch with tracking numbers and they charged my card. Now all the goodies are going to sit for two weeks while I travel :tongue:

I need to order some Dynamat now. Looking forward to hearing some better sound.

So far Im in at $675 with speakers amp DSR1 and cable, combo Crutch Ebay and amazon.

#5 ·
Ordered today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I learned a little more today about this box. First off, your going to need a Windows based computer to load the firmware into it. I have a Mac so i can't do it right now. Even with a windows emulator. And Maestro tech support told me today that the firmware is NOT available yet, RF tech says that it IS.:roll eyes: And although the Maestro harness looks ok, you get no instructions with it. Theres a thread on FocusRS.org talking about this stuff also. Hopefully this all gets figured out soon.

#9 ·
And although the Maestro harness looks ok, you get no instructions with it. Theres a thread on FocusRS.org talking about this stuff also. Hopefully this all gets figured out soon.
well there is firmware out for it cause I hooked mine up to the computer when I got back to the office and loaded it up and configured it no problem... also after you get it configured, as with all other maestro products, you download and print off the install guide for your specific car and the harness that you used. seems to me that it is already figured out pretty well.

#10 · (Edited)
long drive today, but well worth it for the price paid

Technology Electronic device Electronics Electronics accessory Electronic component

also ProTip#1, the 3.Sixty side flashes/updates separately with a different piece of software than the Maestro side does, do that first (since out of the box it was version 1.0 and it needs to be 1.2xxx or better to work with the maestro half) since when I updated mine, it reset the Maestro and needed to be reconfigured (not that big of a deal since it only took a minute or two to do)

ProTip#2, use windows explorer to flash the device, chrome is not supported.

not going to lie, I was kinda expecting it to be little smaller. lol but its still about 40% the size or smaller than a standalone 3.Sixty

#16 ·
long drive today, but well worth it for the price paid

View attachment 277858

also ProTip#1, the 3.Sixty side flashes/updates separately with a different piece of software than the Maestro side does, do that first (since out of the box it was version 1.0 and it needs to be 1.2xxx or better to work with the maestro half) since when I updated mine, it reset the Maestro and needed to be reconfigured (not that big of a deal since it only took a minute or two to do)

ProTip#2, use windows explorer to flash the device, chrome is not supported.

not going to lie, I was kinda expecting it to be little smaller. lol but its still about 40% the size or smaller than a standalone 3.Sixty
Interested to see how to set it up and also interested to hear what you think of it

#13 ·
Rockford Fosgate "Perfect Tune" app initial thoughts

interesting this about this device, is that instead of having to hook up a computer to the device to do all of the tuning, it has bluetooth built in and all tuning is done through an app for a phone or tablet. other than the inconvenience of having to have a computer to actually make the adjustments, the software side was very nice and showed a lot of information all at once and you could select many places to make little changes across different settings.

the first thing that pops up when you open the app is a dual dial screen with subwoofer level and punch EQ settings, similar to the dual bass knob that comes with the 3Sixty.3

Text Font Screenshot Technology Circle

with the new app, it has been much simplified (the old interface wouldn't not ever be able to be used on a small screen like a phone) and no you can see one graph at a time and select a channel to make changes. it is a lot more convenient since everyone will always have a phone with them, but it will take a little longer to make all the different adjustments

first you select which channel you want to tune, and here you can link or unlink pairs of channels together (so any adjustments you make to the left channel will be copied to the right channel)
Text Technology Font Screenshot Games

then once you're in the channel you want, you can select the EQ freq point you want to adjust, the "Q" factor or width of the adjustment (since its a parametric EQ) and then how much you want to boost or cut.
Text Technology Sky Screenshot Electronic device

so far it looks like it does not have the ability to analyze the incoming signal and automatically flatten the EQ curve (this may change once its connected to the device.)

#14 ·
Man I'm glad your on top of this thing. I'm just going to wait until you have yours up and running and learn all about it from you. Thats why these forums are great. Everyone can always learn something from someone. Thanks for sharing all this info.

#15 ·
Man, I've been waiting for this since when it was originally supposed to be released in the spring! I just wish it came out a little sooner before I picked up a couple extra projects before I go on vacation next month. its going to be a busy few weeks coming up.

#30 ·
Oooooo, I'm loving this news! Makes me want to break out the saw and fiberglass and finish my box!

The process:

The expected results(minus the old equipment, have a Kenwood X801-5 and will see what speakers fall to hand later):

#33 ·
And it is delayed one more day....! Gah! Time to go back to work for 7 days, no time to install. It will drive me crazy looking at it still in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Reviews D:? I just bought one, i will sacrifice sleep on the day I recieve it to get it installed!

Reactions: DDT1972
#35 ·
I know! These guys are killing me with the suspense!

I'm willing to put some money into the system if it yields a remarkably better sound stage. I'm not an audiophile but I find the stock system lacking clarity. I want a more lifelike experience - to feel like the instruments, vocals, etc. are all coming from different sources than this 6-inch paper cone, if that makes sense. I don't HATE the stock system, I find it quite acceptable for OEM, but I've never had a great system so if I'm going to spend $700-$1000 to upgrade then I want it to really make a difference. I'm talking about the type of difference where people get in your car and say "wow" (from SQ not volume).

#37 ·
I know! These guys are killing me with the suspense!
hey man, I'm trying.

gotta to do the paying jobs to make the money to do the jobs that cost me money! lol

and worse yet, I've got to get the current pile of parts back together just to make room for my small little car to have a place to to make another pile of parts. hopefully this guy get the headliner we are waiting on so the interior can go back into this GTO project this weekend.

#36 ·
I have literally everything waiting to hear how this works out. Door speakers(which I could install on factory amp I suppose), subs, amp... I need to complete the fiberglass box, but if I can showcase this unit with the amp to take up rack real estate, so be it! I'll wait to make it all pretty and aligned.

#38 ·
And mine is somewhere in UPS land, should be here any moment. I work 12 hour night shifts, then take care of wife and kids during the day, so it will be impossible to sacrifice any of my time for the install until next Wednesday at the earliest. I will be so glad to get rid of the Sony and the Audio Control LOC, to be replaced with this much smaller and more capable piece. I can't imagine it would disappoint, considering it comes with 360 software and the RF mobile app for tuning. I am most definitely an audiophile, I absolutely hate the way the Sony sounds, even with LC6 and all the speakers replaced. Still lacks mid-range punch and vocals, in my opinion.

#40 ·
Today will be the day. Will sacrifice sleep, not sure what time UPS comes to my house.

#41 · (Edited)
Here is the link to update the DSR1, the maestro side link is included in the kit. 2017 DSR1 signal processor - owner's manual Fully installed now!!! I love the thing, you can equalize, crossover, and set gain levels for EVERY channel. You can silence channels on command so you can dial in others. Is your head hurting? Turn off the sub, are your kids sleeping in the back? Turn off the rear speakers. Pretty sweet setup welllllll worth 300 bucks. The plug and play harness is what it is. The only wires you need to run are from the plug harness to your amplifiers and your remote wires. The unit is MUCH smaller than the factory one. Bluetooth application works very well. I havent gotten to even play with it fully so im sure i will find more exciting stuff soon. Speakers sound awesome now, dont have that lame odd equalization.

#46 ·
Man, you pretty much bought the setup I was going to get. Did you read my thread? I haven't bought them yet because I decided on waiting for this DSR1 and the reviews on it :) I would be very interested hearing from you about the whole setup since you will have the same thing as me besides maybe the sub. Would also be interesting if you installed everything first without the DSR then see the transition with the DSR but that would be a waste of your time lol.

#43 ·
This is my first attempt at installing a modern amp and DSR1.

Please if I get anything wrong correct me ... I am also looking for confirmation that Im doing this right. I am thinking I can at least install with the STOCK speakers until I have a couple days to do the doors ..? Maybe I should just wait and do this all at once ?

First thing disconnect Battery

Hooking up the RCA outs from the DSR1 to the AMP RCA In CH-A / B

Front left / Right into the amps CH-A
Rear left / Right into the amps CH-B

There are two sets of sub RCA outs from the DSR1 so I assume I will connect just one from the DSR1 to the AMP SW input RACs

Speakers wire into the back of the amp ... per wire output diagram. (i still need to figure out this portion) Looks straight forward + - front/ back left / right

Run Power from fuse box or ?

Switch power from the ? to the amp

Install GROUND.

The speakers are going to have to wait until I have a lot more time to install.

#49 ·
The speakers are going to have to wait until I have a lot more time to install.
Assuming you're going to use the stock wiring, installing the speakers really isn't that bad. I replaced my fronts a while back, and even taking extreme caution removing the door panels, it wasn't a very long process. I used skizzo's video from this site. You could always do the fronts first to get the most impactful change then do the rears when you have more time. When you do swap them out, you'll see how poor the quality really is on the OEM speakers and will likely be amazed they sounded as good as they did. They're still way better than my wife's Odyssey though; I changed her speakers out (front door and subwoofer) and the magnets on those are so small that each speaker weighed just a few ounces (including the sub). Hard to believe they put out ANY sound.

#44 · (Edited)
You do not need power from fuse box, it utilizes factory power. Do not need to install a ground. The light blue wire is labelled amp on. You might use a channel for your tweeters. There are two sets of front channels. The plug that was used for output to the speakers from the factory amp you will use as output from your aftermarket amps. All of this instruction is for the DSR1.

#47 ·
This makes me wonder if the stock sub with a better tuning and higher power would be worthwhile to use for a while...

At least it'd be fun to listen to it try to keep up with 600 watts until it popped anyway. lol

#48 ·
I might have time today to run power and the ground. The system is plug and play to a point, the AMP being the piece that I am learning as I go. today i am going to focus on layout in the trunk space and maybe try the set up with the stock speakers. I dont loose anything giving it a try before I upgrade the door speakers. Im still working on the Sub enclosure so its going to be a few weeks before it is all done.

Electronics Cable management Electronic component Technology Electronic device

Fashion accessory

#57 · (Edited)
I dont loose anything giving it a try before I upgrade the door speakers. Im still working on the Sub enclosure so its going to be a few weeks before it is all done.

View attachment 279458
the only things that I would change here is that (only if you are using the OEM sub and box) would be to use BOTH sets of sub speaker wires coming out of the FO2 to the amp's sub outputs. since the OEM sub is a DVC (dual voice coil) sub, it has two separate coils in the same sub(dual 2ohm), basically wired as two normal subs built into one. also if using the OEM sub, keep both the gain very low (for that channel)and I'd even keep the level in the DSR1's settings turned down since it is a pretty powerful channel

these pairs need to be wired in series with each other to keep . this may sound a little complicated but it means that you will needs to connect "SUB1+" from the FO2 into the amp's "SW+" terminal, then connect the "SW2-" from the FO2 into the amp's "SW2" terminal, then connect the FO2's "SW1-" and "SW2+" to each other.

basically like the diagram on the RIGHT side of this picture
Yellow Parallel Auto part

also, to make it easier on yourself for your temporary install (keeping both the door woofers and tweeters working) and your future speaker install when you get to it. since there is more room in the back vs inside the door, I would personally mount the external crossovers for the TS-D's next to the amp, instead of inside the front doors.

this means that channel A will come out of the amp into the TS-D's crossovers, and then the output of those crossovers will connect to the FO2's speaker wires.

this thing right here...
Audio equipment Product Technology Electronic device Battery charger

for the left side
the crossover's wires that say "amplifier" goes to the amp's "CH A" Left wires, the wires that say "woofer" goes to the FO2's "LF speaker" pair, and the wires that say "tweeter" will go to the FO2's "LF tweeter" wires

then do the same for the front right side. other wise you will have to put the crossovers inside the front doors and while you have the OEM speakers hooked you wont have any tweeters since the front OEM speakers have separate channels for both the woofers and tweeters. for the rear speakers, you will have to install the crossovers inside the rear doors since the sony system only has a single pair of wires ran into each rear door (for my rear component set, I ran am extra pair of speaker wires into the door )

I would also set the crosover's tweeter level to "0db" instead of adding or cutting its level, then you can always add or take away treble in the DSP settings

#50 ·
Meh. Two windows 10 machines, cannot connect to the DSR1. App installed (installed as administrator), run app as administrator. Windows sees it as COM3 device plugged in. But the app doesn't detect it.

Via BT, I can find the device, connect to it. But the app when going into the "Tune," and "Basic Tune," function and then says its "Synchronizing with device," it gives a "Device communication error."
Go into "Tune," and then "Advanced Tuning," the app crashes out (iOS).

Or going to the BT icon, the status shows as connected, click the little "i," icon for more info, the app then crashes out.

I'd like to try the firmware update, but I can't get the app to find the device. argh. Well I'll try again, perhaps from a VM or something. I think I have a Win7 laptop laying around...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.