Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the christmas i got a little bonus from work. It didnt stay in the bank account long, as i bought some DEPO parts to go stage 3. I also picked up a fairly used pair of Fifteen52 Turbomacs from a local ex-ST owner. They had some pretty bad curb rash and needed some TLC.

Here is a pic of the wheels in the back of the ST.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system

When i got them home, i took them down to the basement. I washed them with tons of wheel cleaner to get all the brake dust off. I then wet sanded the wheels and used some putty to fill some scratches. After they were all sanded back down i sprayed on some primer.
Tire Automotive tire Rim Alloy wheel Wheel

At this point I stopped. As i realized that the heater was running in the basement and i had poor ventilation. All the fumes from the paint were wicked up through the heater and spread through the house. This took hours of having fans running and every window in the house open to get rid of the smell. Everything was fine after a few hours of being light headed and i now have even less brain cells than when i started.

After the mishap in the basement, i relocated to the garage to spray the final coats of paint. The conditions were not really ideal as it was around 45* in the garage. \
Tire Rim Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel
Green Ball Soccer ball Football Emoticon

All the supplies used in this little wheel resurrection project were purchase from the local pepboys. The paint used was a Duplicolor Gold Wheel Paint.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
You probably should have dismounted the tires to paint them because anytime you dismount or mount a tire now it's probably going to peel the pain off the edges.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You probably should have dismounted the tires to paint them because anytime you dismount or mount a tire now it's probably going to peel the pain off the edges.
Yeah that would have been ideal, but im not too worried about having a perfect finish on these. Besides, the tires that are on the wheels now are fairly stretched, which allowed me to get some paint behind the lip. If they get marked up while swapping the tires over i wont be too concerned.

Reactions: elyk864

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice job. I want some turbomacs in the near future also. any pics with them mounted?
They will be getting mounted monday. I still have to swap the COMP 2s over. I'll be sure to post pics when i get them on.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice work. Do you have any more detailed pictures of what they looked like before? Also maybe some close ups of the finished product around the edges. I love getting things and refinishing them...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Makes me want a set myself. Awesome looking restoration

Reactions: Bluestangii

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Tire

Update, Wheels are on and looking good.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work. Do you have any more detailed pictures of what they looked like before? Also maybe some close ups of the finished product around the edges. I love getting things and refinishing them...
Unfortunately i didn't think to take any before pictures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They look great! Looking to buy those in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
These are very heavy, correct? Just wanna cross them off my list before I fall for them any more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are very heavy, correct? Just wanna cross them off my list before I fall for them any more.
Just about the same, stock wheels and the turbomacs both weighed in around 25lbs plus or minus a few ounces because bathroom scale.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you're best to wash out the undercarriage when salt is no longer being used, Thats an insane amount of salt.
I have a car wash nearby with a really good undercarriage spray that sprays as long as you are over top of it, i take a good minute or two to drive into the bay lol.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
lol if you have an option like that take some time to uninstall the rug skid plate. It gets heavy when water is added to it and puts some decent stress on the plastic screws holding it up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I have a car wash nearby with a really good undercarriage spray that sprays as long as you are over top of it, i take a good minute or two to drive into the bay lol.
I'm this guy too. And someone ALWAYS pulls in behind me. I'm only a jerk for a minute or two for the underspray and a minute or two for the dryer ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts