Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What's the difference between stage 1, 2 and 3?

Tappin' with my G3
Typically whether the can is a 2-port or a 3-port solution (or a 2-can solution), plus whether there are additional check valves in the lines.

On our cars, the line connecting the engine block to the intake manifold has a PCV, to prevent boost from pressurizing the engine cavity. The line connecting the valve cover to the inlet tube has no such check valve; it's really just a filtered air source for when the intake manifold is under vacuum and is sucking out gasses from within the engine cavity.

Different catch-can manufacturers use (slightly) different meanings for Stages 1, 2 and 3, depending on their offerings.

Most of the fluids get collected in the line between the engine block (PCV) and the intake manifold. Probably your Steeda air/oil separator is mounted up top and doesn't catch much -- unless you've got some ring issues or a stuck PCV valve?

Hope that helps
Mark

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Typically whether the can is a 2-port or a 3-port solution (or a 2-can solution), plus whether there are additional check valves in the lines.

On our cars, the line connecting the engine block to the intake manifold has a PCV, to prevent boost from pressurizing the engine cavity. The line connecting the valve cover to the inlet tube has no such check valve; it's really just a filtered air source for when the intake manifold is under vacuum and is sucking out gasses from within the engine cavity.

Different catch-can manufacturers use (slightly) different meanings for Stages 1, 2 and 3, depending on their offerings.

Most of the fluids get collected in the line between the engine block (PCV) and the intake manifold. Probably your Steeda air/oil separator is mounted up top and doesn't catch much -- unless you've got some ring issues or a stuck PCV valve?

Hope that helps
Mark
Helps a little, I did some reading on the Damond website, so far I'm under the impression that I should just go with a stage 1.

One more question.. can I keep my Steeda air/oil separator, or should I just take it out after I put the OCC in?

Tappin' with my G3

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Helps a little, I did some reading on the Damond website, so far I'm under the impression that I should just go with a stage 1.

One more question.. can I keep my Steeda air/oil separator, or should I just take it out after I put the OCC in?

Tappin' with my G3
If it were me I'd keep the Steeda.

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
625 Posts
I got stage 3 for Christmas. I was going to install it today, but there are no instructions. I looked on the damond site, they have instructions for stage one. But not stage 3. Can someone give me detailed info on how to install the second catch can? Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got stage 3 for Christmas. I was going to install it today, but there are no instructions. I looked on the damond site, they have instructions for stage one. But not stage 3. Can someone give me detailed info on how to install the second catch can? Thank you.

Same here, have stage 3 but no instructions on how to install the second occ.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Same here, have stage 3 but no instructions on how to install the second occ.
This is how I installed mine. Top port goes to turbo inlet, bottom port goes to VC and the bracket mounts to the 8mm bolt on the high pressure fuel pump housing. I can take pictures tomorrow if you need more detail.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is how I installed mine. Top port goes to turbo inlet, bottom port goes to VC and the bracket mounts to the 8mm bolt on the high pressure fuel pump housing. I can take pictures tomorrow if you need more detail.
Thanks for the help. Some pics definitely wouldn't hurt. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
@OddWolf Hope these help. The fitting that connects to the valve cover needs to be angled at 4 O'Clock like that so it will clip on. Obviously if your car is not a 15/16 it will not have the hard line with sensor on the inlet side. You will just run the soft hose provided in the kit all the way to the quick connect inlet fitting. IMG957635.jpg IMG957636.jpg IMG957637.jpg IMG957640.jpg IMG957641.jpg IMG957642.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is what my PCV can caught on a bone stock 2016 in 1200 miles. Installed both my cans at 300 miles and just did my first 1500 mile oil change. Valve cover/turbo inlet can was dry but so were my pipes so no complaints. IMG957626.jpg IMG957627.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh man this is the very next thing on my list of things to get. I should have listened to @DoubleD a year ago and got one, I'm over 30k now so I bet I'm going to need to clean the valves out.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
25 Participants
darksurfer81
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing