Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I so badly want this. There have been people that have done this on their Explorers and Taurus SHO's. eBay has 2016 Focus Sync 3 modules and touchscreens for around $500 but I don't know if I could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
For $2k I'll keep my current MFT w/ Nav. If it was about $1k w/ Apple CarPlay then I would probably consider it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the wiring is different and it would be a hassle to do
I don't think it's a plug and play kind of thing, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
381 Posts
I may be alone on this, but I prefer the UI look of sync 2 over sync 3. I am sure there are plenty of improvements in Sync 3, and Apple CarPlay was nice when I played around with it, but something about it just irks me the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Anything is possible with time and money, it's for you to decide of if it's worth it or not.

Car Play along with most Apple stuff is the price you pay for being in the walled garden, you must have the USB hub with the MFi chip in it to even use Car Play. So add that to the cost of upgrading.

It would be cheaper to get the rest of the '13-'14, along with all ST1 owners together and get somebody like Scosche to design and make an install kit that actually works and looks OEM.

Then you can buy a compatible Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine radio, MUCH cheaper and you'll benefit more than YOURSELF.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I read somewhere that the wiring is different and it would be a hassle to do
I don't think it's a plug and play kind of thing, but I could be wrong
I would guess if you just bought the stock module it may not be plug and play, but these modules claim to work with specific models of car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anything is possible with time and money, it's for you to decide of if it's worth it or not.

Car Play along with most Apple stuff is the price you pay for being in the walled garden, you must have the USB hub with the MFi chip in it to even use Car Play. So add that to the cost of upgrading.

It would be cheaper to get the rest of the '13-'14, along with all ST1 owners together and get somebody like Scosche to design and make an install kit that actually works and looks OEM.

Then you can buy a compatible Pioneer, Kenwood or Alpine radio, MUCH cheaper and you'll benefit more than YOURSELF.
I have Android Auto / Carplay in my other car and love it. It would be a must have when I change out the ST.

So I am tempted, but not seen anyone who has done it in a Focus and determined what doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just picked up a screen, APIM, gps antenna, and trim bezel for my 2017 ST1 with regular Sync. Found a dude on OfferUp who gave me the screen and APIM for $300 and got a trim off eBay for $100.

My buddy and I are going to be tearing it down this weekend and trying to get it to work. The screen and APIM are from a Mustang GT, so it's going to need some reprogramming, but I think I'll be able to get it working.

He was able to upgrade his standard SYNC system to SYNC3 in his base Mustang GT. Hoping for the best. I'll update on how it goes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know it's been a while... As a quick update, the Focus's standard Sync system is wired completely differently from the Mustang, apparently.

When my buddy and I tore apart my car and got it hooked up, we were able to run sync, but without any steering wheel controls or being able to plug in the new face plate do to different wiring. The Sync 3 APIM & screen wouldn't even turn on while the old Sync system was still plugged in.

Here's where the creativity comes... I decided that I didn't want to give up, so I purchased the entire wiring manual for all 2017 Ford Focus vehicles. I was able to trace which wires needed remapping or spliced in from other CANBUS connections (specifically for HVAC features).

Now, I haven't done the conversion yet, but I have it all remapped in a Google Sheet for everyone to check out if anyone is interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gcnD6WD13f6KCUbdTTUSo0fGOTXCJtv5HmeemhjlwD8/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet will soon be updated with pictures from the manual on each connector's pinout numbering so that anyone who is interested should be able to perform this upgrade (if I report success on getting it to work on my next forum post update).

I'm planning on doing the conversion this Sunday and will update afterwards.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know it's been a while... As a quick update, the Focus's standard Sync system is wired completely differently from the Mustang, apparently.

When my buddy and I tore apart my car and got it hooked up, we were able to run sync, but without any steering wheel controls or being able to plug in the new face plate do to different wiring. The Sync 3 APIM & screen wouldn't even turn on while the old Sync system was still plugged in.

Here's where the creativity comes... I decided that I didn't want to give up, so I purchased the entire wiring manual for all 2017 Ford Focus vehicles. I was able to trace which wires needed remapping or spliced in from other CANBUS connections (specifically for HVAC features).

Now, I haven't done the conversion yet, but I have it all remapped in a Google Sheet for everyone to check out if anyone is interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gcnD6WD13f6KCUbdTTUSo0fGOTXCJtv5HmeemhjlwD8/edit?usp=sharing

This spreadsheet will soon be updated with pictures from the manual on each connector's pinout numbering so that anyone who is interested should be able to perform this upgrade (if I report success on getting it to work on my next forum post update).

I'm planning on doing the conversion this Sunday and will update afterwards.

Wish me luck!
Any update on this? I converted my f250 from a sync2 to a sync 3 but I didn't have to rewire anything. I would like to do the same with my 17 ST as the sync 1 unit is garbage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 ST
31 Posts
Hopefully everyone knows by now. You can get an adaptor at crutchfield or online for a double din. There are two to choose from as well as wiring adapters that will keep all factory controls. Apparently there are even some nav head units that can display car parameters like engine and oil temp and boost and stuff. its not cheap but I did find the adapter and plate somewhere online for like 250. I think I found a pioneer head unit with nav along with the install kit wiring, module and plastic from Walmart for like 700$. This was around the same price as the headunit alone from crutchfield.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Just to reply to the original question.
Yes, you can hook up Sync 3 in the 13
Yes, you can wire it up to a backup camera.

I haven't done it personally but it is one of the things I've been looking into doing.
You can get the units for under 500 if you look around hard enough.
I don't have the list of vehicles, but I thought I found it in this forum before.
If not, there are a number of people on the facebook pages who have done this succesfully already.
I'd start in the ST/RS Global page and search or ask and let someone there direct you to one of the many people who have done this already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts