Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys! Bear with me in describing the problem..

I bought my first ever ST-3 Saturday and love it. It drove home - a couple of hours absolutely spot on. I have noticed this morning however an intermittent issue. I allowed it to warm up on a 15 mile commute, and then when I got to a section of dual-carriageway/highway, booted it. Through third it pulled absolutely fine, in fourth however as it was climbing through the rev-range it got to around 4.5/5k revs and you could just feel it drop off.. Fifth was flat etc so I backed off. Off the next roundabout, it just felt "flat".. Not as much pull - almost like its restricted?

Car has covered 30k on the dot, full service history - recent service at 28k. Any ideas on what to look out for? I've done a quick google search but nothing matches.

No lights on, car feels perfectly normal - just quite restricted power delivery.. Almost as if its missing the turbo?

I appreciate all your help.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

These are incredible vehicles to say the least, however they do come with some complexities.

You the best of your knowledge could you tell us a little about your ST? The Year and any possible modifications you may have. There are several factors for to consider when diagnosing a reduction in power.

Quality & octane of fuel being used. Mechanical condition of the engine. Spark plug gap and plug selection. PCM & tuning strategy (wherever applicable) as it pertains to weather conditions.

Probably the most difficult aspect of these is having the ability to read the individual sensor output inorder to troubleshoot the issue at hand. The majority of the the members here us a device known as an Accessport, AP for short, manufactured by Cobb.

This will allow you to monitor and log your vehicle's output in real-time as well modify the PCM data. There are basic scan tools available locally and online that can also be had to read engine DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) remember that not every DTC will trigger a CEL (check engine light).

Take some time to search the forum and don't forget to introduce yourself in the introduction thread.

Let's us know how we can help.

Stay Safe

J

Reactions: BumblebeeChewna

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply and warm welcome.

Its a 2016 ST-3, 30k mileage - completely standard to the best of my knowledge - there is nothing in the documentation to show modification purchases or tuning. I am from the UK so I filled it up with Shell V-Power fuel - I believe its 99 Octane, standard fuel here is 95.

I will have to check the full history when I get home today - Its had 6 full services, recent service at 28k which I believe was just filter and oil changes. With regard to spark plug clearances - I wouldn't have a clue how to check that. I have some mechanical background - but much prefer the vehicle to go into the garage for engine work. Just wondered whether it was something obvious. The history with the car shows no engine related issues. Anti-roll bar links and headlight sensor is the only recorded issue in the history. No outstanding recalls in the UK market.

Will take a look at AP or another diagnostic tool.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
To supplement @SSgtjrobertson’s advice, if your car’s FMIC (front mount intercooler) is the original from Ford, it’s likely that you experienced ‘heat soak’.

My explanation of heat soak would merely be a regurgitation of what Google will tell you about it. It’s a widely understood and experienced phenomenon that doesn’t allow cars like ours to optimize their power output.

It’s a relatively easy & cost effective problem to resolve. Many a person has cursed Ford for forcing their customers to resolve the issue rather than doing so before building these cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To supplement @SSgtjrobertson’s advice, if your car’s FMIC (front mount intercooler) is the original from Ford, it’s likely that you experienced ‘heat soak’.

My explanation of heat soak would merely be a regurgitation of what Google will tell you about it. It’s a widely understood and experienced phenomenon that doesn’t allow cars like ours to optimize their power output.

It’s a relatively easy & cost effective problem to resolve. Many a person has cursed Ford for forcing their customers to resolve the issue rather than doing so before building these cars.
My immediate thought was heat-soak related.. But the car was driven really softly on the initial 15 miles - and ambient temperature in the UK was about 13 degrees Celsius this morning. Is the stock intercooler really that crap?

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
My immediate thought was heat-soak related.. But the car was driven really softly on the initial 15 miles - and ambient temperature in the UK was about 13 degrees Celsius this morning. Is the stock intercooler really that crap?
Yes...the consensus around here is that it’s the first modification a person should make to the car.

I’d say mod’s #2 & 3 should be gas hood struts and jacking rails to make your other mods easier to perform!! 😀

If you start hanging around here, I hope we don’t get you in trouble with your significant other!! 😂

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,144 Posts
I completely agree with replacement of the factory intercooler as that is a major weakness and detriment to our vehicles. The next major issue would be the restrictive down pipe. However first the loss of power.

The plugs would probably be the first order of business. This guide is an excellent place to start. Then we can move onto other things.

J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I completely agree with replacement of the factory intercooler as that is a major weakness and detriment to our vehicles. The next major issue would be the restrictive down pipe. However first the loss of power.

The plugs would probably be the first order of business. This guide is an excellent place to start. Then we can move onto other things.

J
Okay. Well I will get it booked in for a service for my own peace of mind and arrange to get the spark plugs replaced at the same time..

I shall get an intercooler ordered. Are the standard boost pipes up too much or are they worth up-rating as well at the same time? I have always used Airtek Motorsport intercoolers on previous cars in the UK, and they usually supply silicone boost hoses to accompany intercooler.

And I will sure stay around :) I have always been "sensible" with previous cars.. I dont think that will be the case here 😅

·
1,556 Posts
Heatsoak happens rapidly, and your initial description sounds pretty on-par with what happens when using the factory intercooler.

P.s. your username immediately reminded me of this scene...

·
Super Moderator
7,560 Posts
Okay. Well I will get it booked in for a service for my own peace of mind and arrange to get the spark plugs replaced at the same time..

I shall get an intercooler ordered. Are the standard boost pipes up too much or are they worth up-rating as well at the same time? I have always used Airtek Motorsport intercoolers on previous cars in the UK, and they usually supply silicone boost hoses to accompany intercooler.

And I will sure stay around :) I have always been "sensible" with previous cars.. I don't think that will be the case here 😅
Charge pipes are good, no need to replace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heatsoak happens rapidly, and your initial description sounds pretty on-par with what happens when using the factory intercooler.

P.s. your username immediately reminded me of this scene...

HAHA! Im glad someone gets the reference.. That film cracks me up man.

·
1,556 Posts
HAHA! Im glad someone gets the reference.. That film cracks me up man.
I was going to just reply saying "your balls are showing" but it'd be pretty awkward if nobody got the reference. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

And I will sure stay around :) I have always been "sensible" with previous cars.. I dont think that will be the case here 😅
I would check out ProAlloy or Mountune since you're in the UK:

Focus ST MK3

Mk3 Focus ST (Facelift 2015>)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would check out ProAlloy or Mountune since you're in the UK:

Focus ST MK3

Mk3 Focus ST (Facelift 2015>)
My intention was that it went to Mountune for the M275 in January - but they are not answering emails or the phone at the minute, something about the company being in financial trouble / acquisition by Ford? Cant really find out whats going on. They list my local Ford dealership as a Mountune dealer but they've said they haven't been able to order stock for the past 3 months.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Pro Alloy made/makes ic for Mountune so that is an option if you want same top notch quality..they also have a nice boost hose kit.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Ive done a two track days on the stock intercooler along with aggressive weekend canyon driving and cough cough top speed closed course Isle of Mann TT runs, so while it may heat soak it is still driveable and quick for what it is..you may have a different issue if it is extremely noticeable as in a severe power loss and timing being pulled. Check plugs and do a KAM reset and make sure your OAR is -1, you can also quickly let off the throttle and get back on to reset the over-rev RPM limit when WOT on the hwy.

If you read the ST supplement over-rev is limited to 3 seconds above 6500 RPM, however you can blip the throttle to reset it although you stated your issue is ~4500/5000 so this really wouldnt apply but it is good to know you can get some extra umph if needed when approaching redline:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2015-Focus-ST-Supplement-version-1_st_EN-US_11_2014.pdf

ENGINE OVERSPEED

Note: Always wait until the engine is properly warmed up before running high engine speeds.Your vehicle has an over-rev feature to increase the performance range of your Focus ST. The standard maximum enginespeed of 6500 RPM is indicated by an arrow red line on the tachometer face.The red line becomes thicker at the over-rev engine speed of 6800 RPM.This feature allows three seconds of over-rev above 6500 RPM. Once the three second limit has been reached, the electronically controlled rev limit ramps down to 6500 RPM and holds there. Once the engine speed has dropped below 6300 RPM, the over-rev timer is reset and three seconds of over-rev up to a maximum of 6800 RPM is enabled.Do not operate the engine at high RPM and low load for sustained periods of time, as damage may occur.

ENGINE OVERBOOST

Your ST vehicle offers a period of additional torque delivery referred to as overboost or overtorque. This feature of the engine calibration broadens the RPM range of the peak torque curve. This gives improved performance during maneuvers such as passing and vehicle launch.Note:The overboost feature controls a variety of engine parameters to deliver additional torque. Overboost is built into the engine calibration on your ST vehicle and no action is required by the driver to engage.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
The nice thing about the Pro Alloy design is it also has a lower air guide in addition to the side ones to fill the gaps left from the oem ic,,,this is a big issue as the air can flow under the ic without putting something there.(y)

Supplied complete with alloy ram air ducts to maximise the use of air flowing through bumper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can save you a ton of money if you’re on a budget in diys, I’ve the intercooler down to a art after all my mistakes I recent did a diy big turbo kit based off the info I found on these forums...there is a plethora of excellent info on this site, all you gotta do is google what you want followed by focust.org and 99% of the time it’s there

1 - 20 of 25 Posts