Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I've decided that if I do change the rest of the exhaust (catback) then I will just get a full system, probably CNT V2 but for now I'm sticking with catless dp and resonator delete!
Once I pay off some credit cards I'll order the CNT V2 catback most likely though, making it CNT Turbo-Back technically. Thanks for all the replies!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
So I've decided that if I do change the rest of the exhaust (catback) then I will just get a full system, probably CNT V2 but for now I'm sticking with catless dp and resonator delete!
Once I pay off some credit cards I'll order the CNT V2 catback most likely though, making it CNT Turbo-Back technically. Thanks for all the replies!!
I believe the CNT has 2.5 in piping, so you'll literally achieve the same result and save about $160 by doing a res/muffler delete and adding a muffler/tips. If this had 3" piping I'd say go for it, but it doesn't.
edit: any of your local exhaust shops can do this with ease. Remember, if you want the CNT v2, get it! Just trying to save you some money.

Reactions: Fordtech402

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm taking it to a local muffler shop who did the resonator delete. So, does the length of the muffler make it quieter or throatier? Longer the quieter or just different sound? trying to get a deep sound but not crazy loud at idle/low rpm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Catless DP and 4" Magnaflow muffler on stock piping. I've gotten used to it and actually kind of like it. I'm going back to the shop on Monday to either go with a 5" or 6" muffler instead. I honestly think i'll be happy with the 5". I actually went with 3.5" tips instead of 4-4.5" and I actually really like it. For some reason the 4" in person just seems too big for my taste. Here's a photo of the 3.5, but I do have to say it definitely looks better in person at different angles.

View attachment 301689
Hey do you have a sound clip with the racing magnaflow muffler?? I think I want the 5" but i would like to hear yours please!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hey do you have a sound clip with the racing magnaflow muffler?? I think I want the 5" but i would like to hear yours please!
I can get you a sound clip, but I actually ended up with a 6" as of Saturday. If you want it a bit more tame, but still to sound nasty while on the gas I'd go with 6". If you like it super loud, go with 4" or 5". There's a massive difference between 4" and 6". I think the 6" sounds much more appropriate on this car, but that's only my opinion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can get you a sound clip, but I actually ended up with a 6" as of Saturday. If you want it a bit more tame, but still to sound nasty while on the gas I'd go with 6". If you like it super loud, go with 4" or 5". There's a massive difference between 4" and 6". I think the 6" sounds much more appropriate on this car, but that's only my opinion.
Yes a sound clip would be great, I'm dropping my car off this morning for them to take a look and make a quote. I have a feeling I'm going to go with 5" but would like to hear 6" if possible before my decision! Thank you I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yes a sound clip would be great, I'm dropping my car off this morning for them to take a look and make a quote. I have a feeling I'm going to go with 5" but would like to hear 6" if possible before my decision! Thank you I really appreciate it!
I dropped the car off last night to the dealer for some minor warranty work on interior trim that was damaged when I bought the car. They advised they had to send photos to Ford warranty for this, so it may take a few days. I'll let you know when I get it back!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I dropped the car off last night to the dealer for some minor warranty work on interior trim that was damaged when I bought the car. They advised they had to send photos to Ford warranty for this, so it may take a few days. I'll let you know when I get it back!
Alright thanks man! I'll probably pull the trigger on a racing magnaflow muffler near where the resonator was and straight piping the rest, I know it's going to be loud but I kinda want it that way and if I get sick of it I'll throw another one on it haha. That's if the muffler shop gives me a good deal. Also didn't know that before the stock resonator the piping is 2.5" but after the resonator the stock piping goes down to 2.25" according to the shop I took it too, I never measured the stock pipes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Alright thanks man! I'll probably pull the trigger on a racing magnaflow muffler near where the resonator was and straight piping the rest, I know it's going to be loud but I kinda want it that way and if I get sick of it I'll throw another one on it haha. That's if the muffler shop gives me a good deal. Also didn't know that before the stock resonator the piping is 2.5" but after the resonator the stock piping goes down to 2.25" according to the shop I took it too, I never measured the stock pipes.
I can tell you right now you won't be dissatisfied with the 5". I kinda wish I went with 5" instead of 6" because I do like loud too. As far as the sizing, I think that's correct. Kinda stupid if that's true but i was thinking wow, the piping looks super small after the res.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I can tell you right now you won't be dissatisfied with the 5". I kinda wish I went with 5" instead of 6" because I do like loud too. As far as the sizing, I think that's correct. Kinda stupid if that's true but i was thinking wow, the piping looks super small after the res.
Awesome! Ok so finally heard back from the shop, they said that the middle section before the axle back portion is the only 2.25" piping. I'm having them run 2.5" with a racing muffler all the way back with new tips for a pretty good price so we will see what happens. He couldn't tell me off hand if it was a 4" or 5" muffler but I'll upload a clip with details when it's all said and done! There is snow and ice coming tomorrow so idk if I'll have anything ready for a bit because I will probably garage it when it's done hopefully this evening.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here are some clips of what I had done. I had them go 2.5" piping all the way back, deleted muffler. Racing Bullet 5" Round Muffler in place of stock resonator. They finished it off with some nice shiny tips. Haven't really had time to get a good look at anything or drive it much, and there is a snow/ice storm coming tonight through tomorrow so I won't be able to do much for a bit(hence the garage video). Anyways I don't mind it but I'll have to get used to it for sure, in vehicle sounds great but gets a little excessive at heavy throttle but I think it's bearable, we'll see. May have to get more supression somewhere or go with a bigger/different muffler but as of now I'm happy, looks and sounds great at idle and low rpm putting around for sure!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Here are some clips of what I had done. I had them go 2.5" piping all the way back, deleted muffler. Racing Bullet 5" Round Muffler in place of stock resonator. They finished it off with some nice shiny tips. Haven't really had time to get a good look at anything or drive it much, and there is a snow/ice storm coming tonight through tomorrow so I won't be able to do much for a bit(hence the garage video). Anyways I don't mind it but I'll have to get used to it for sure, in vehicle sounds great but gets a little excessive at heavy throttle but I think it's bearable, we'll see. May have to get more supression somewhere or go with a bigger/different muffler but as of now I'm happy, looks and sounds great at idle and low rpm putting around for sure!
Sounds good! How much did you wind up paying with that new piping if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sounds good! How much did you wind up paying with that new piping if you don't mind me asking?
It was around $230 after tax with all the piping, the muffler and tips! I'll post pictures soon, snow storm seems to have passed through so maybe tomorrow it'll come out of the garage!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
724 Posts
It was around $230 after tax with all the piping, the muffler and tips! I'll post pictures soon, snow storm seems to have passed through so maybe tomorrow it'll come out of the garage!
thats a really great deal! My local shop wanted closer to 300 for a similar setup, so I went with just a resonator delete, happy with it so far, not super loud, but most of my neighbors are old and I value their friendship, so it'll do. If my living conditions ever change though, I will probably do something similar to this, sounds beast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes it was an awesome deal! I believe it was because they reused the axle back pipe because it was already bent from factory so they saved on fabricating that. Then all they really had to do was add maybe 2-3ft of piping, an easy round racing muffler, and then delete the rear muffler and put some tips on it.
I loved it with just the resonator delete and catless downpipe for sure, I just wanted something a little more and I found a great deal! Also I don't like my neighbors so it's a win-win!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Stock exhaust diameter is 2.5", correct?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Stock exhaust diameter is 2.5", correct?
Yes, for the most part. The section right after the resonator until the axle back is at 2.25". It goes 2.5" from DP to resonator, then a middle section of 2.25", then back to 2.5" for the last turn and muffler section.
I had the resonator deleted and they used 2.25" pipe so I asked why when I went in for the most recent work because it looked goofy and I thought it might be "choking" the exhaust. I didn't believe them at first, but then I remember it being expanded on one end and the other being flush(I install my own stuff generally, just don't trust my welding, so I installed the DP). It really doesn't make sense, but that's what I found and I got this car brand new with 500mi on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here are some better clips! Sounds amazing, and looks great now with some LED Fog Lights installed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Exhaust sounds great, but is a bit loud for what I originally wanted which I kind of figured it would be. Kind of want just the axle back section of the Ford Performance Catback but I cannot buy just that section so I''l be taking it back to the muffler shop today to see what they can do.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts