Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Resonator Deleted Exhaust, Magnaflow Muffler Replacement

Just trying to see if anyone has this set up with a catless down pipe and the rest of the catback stock with the resonator deleted and muffler replaced with Magnaflow 14416, or similar. Magnaflow seems to be the sound I want, but I cannot get myself to pull the trigger on the muffler replacement and need some encouragement. Looking for a lower sound and no drone.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm catless with no resonator and a Magnaflow Muffler, but I don't know the model number of it. It is not like the one you mentioned.
It's very very low drone, and deep and burbly. It's a single 3" inlet with what looks like to be two 2.5" opposed outs, I can't find it on Magnaflows website.

I haven't done a video since going catless, but @Stealth has a few on youtube of the exhaust before I bought it from him

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you for the reply! I'll update with my decision at some point haha. I really like this sound but I don't know if it would be the same if I replaced the axle back with the same muffler!
Found the part number for his in the comments= Magnaflow 11216 Performance Muffler 4x9x14 Oval 2.5" Center/Center. Video attached

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Yeah that car sounds real good.

Exhaust is like a musical instrument, everything effects the tone, and resonance, from pipe diameter to length.
So the same exhaust setup 2.5" vs 3" will sound different.

·
Registered
738 Posts
would sound even better with a glasspack resonator.......26".........would tune out some of the raspiness at low rpm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really am just trying not to straight pipe it, with my car still having the stock muffler I don't know if I'll like the sound or not. Ill keep updating once I install the down pipe and listen to it for a bit, but the rest of my parts aren't shipping for another five days or so. Ill post updates to this thread here probably around Jan 13th. Thanks for the advice, it's just a really tough call right now since I haven't heard it with the down pipe yet!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I think catless, resonator delete, and factory muffler sound good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i had straight pipe with factory DP and i hated it. Now have COBB DP, res and muffler deleted and added in Magnaflow muffler...it sounds fantastic!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I did this over the weekend. Too loud for me. It sounds good, but it's super loud. I'm going to have them throw in another magnaflow muffler to tone it down just a bit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did this over the weekend. Too loud for me. It sounds good, but it's super loud. I'm going to have them throw in another magnaflow muffler to tone it down just a bit.
Is that with a catless DP too? I've been looking at the res and muffler delete with an in-line muffler setup, but I have the stock DP still. I'd assume if a catless 3" is too loud, a catted 3" or stock DP might balance it out

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is that with a catless DP too? I've been looking at the res and muffler delete with an in-line muffler setup, but I have the stock DP still. I'd assume if a catless 3" is too loud, a catted 3" or stock DP might balance it out
Catless DP and 4" Magnaflow muffler on stock piping. I've gotten used to it and actually kind of like it. I'm going back to the shop on Monday to either go with a 5" or 6" muffler instead. I honestly think i'll be happy with the 5". I actually went with 3.5" tips instead of 4-4.5" and I actually really like it. For some reason the 4" in person just seems too big for my taste. Here's a photo of the 3.5, but I do have to say it definitely looks better in person at different angles.

Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Car

·
Registered
593 Posts
Catless DP and 4" Magnaflow muffler on stock piping. I've gotten used to it and actually kind of like it. I'm going back to the shop on Monday to either go with a 5" or 6" muffler instead. I honestly think i'll be happy with the 5". I actually went with 3.5" tips instead of 4-4.5" and I actually really like it. For some reason the 4" in person just seems too big for my taste. Here's a photo of the 3.5, but I do have to say it definitely looks better in person at different angles.
Is your muffler just a round one? I was looking at the 5"x8" 'oval' from Magnaflow. Yeah that setup does look really good. I am getting more convinced that this is the route I want to take the more I hear about it lol so much cheaper than a full CBE

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is your muffler just a round one? I was looking at the 5"x8" 'oval' from Magnaflow. Yeah that setup does look really good. I am getting more convinced that this is the route I want to take the more I hear about it lol so much cheaper than a full CBE
Yep, round race muffler. If you're catted a 4" or 5" will be fairly loud still. If you like it a bit more tame, i'd go with the 6" round. If you just want it to be a little louder than stock, go with the 5x8.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep, round race muffler. If you're catted a 4" or 5" will be fairly loud still. If you like it a bit more tame, i'd go with the 6" round. If you just want it to be a little louder than stock, go with the 5x8.
Okay, gotcha. I was just basing the 5x8 based on another thread on here. I didn't think about just going with a larger round one. I'm gonna go to a local exhaust shop, so I'm interested to see what they have to say about these options too. Did they order your tips too? I'm not really picky on brand, I just want black SS tips. I'd assume shops can get them, but I've never attempted something like this before

·
Registered
651 Posts
Okay, gotcha. I was just basing the 5x8 based on another thread on here. I didn't think about just going with a larger round one. I'm gonna go to a local exhaust shop, so I'm interested to see what they have to say about these options too. Did they order your tips too? I'm not really picky on brand, I just want black SS tips. I'd assume shops can get them, but I've never attempted something like this before
They should be able to order you whatever you want, but my exhaust shops have always had the ones I wanted in stock. Hopefully you're as lucky. If you're going for louder, i'd go with the round race exhaust in whatever size you like. Don't get me wrong, the 5x8 will sound good as well. I believe the round race are all 14" in length, so remember even though they're round and have a smaller diameter, they're longer than the oval by a good amount.

·
Registered
593 Posts
They should be able to order you whatever you want, but my exhaust shops have always had the ones I wanted in stock. Hopefully you're as lucky. If you're going for louder, i'd go with the round race exhaust in whatever size you like. Don't get me wrong, the 5x8 will sound good as well. I believe the round race are all 14" in length, so remember even though they're round and have a smaller diameter, they're longer than the oval by a good amount.
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the insight. I'll see what they have and have to say and go from there. I am so ready to actually hear something come from this car other than my music haha

·
Registered
651 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I appreciate the insight. I'll see what they have and have to say and go from there. I am so ready to actually hear something come from this car other than my music haha
Haha right! If you haven't already, you'll probably want to delete/disable the sound symposer once the new exhaust setup is in.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Dude I'm so used to my exhaust, I drove my friends new 2018 WRX she just bought and I was like damn this feel so slow just because it doesn't have ANY exhaust sound. Literally nothing. Like I didn't even hear the engine noise enough to know to shift lol I had to look. Wild. I'd hate my ST like that

·
Registered
593 Posts
Haha right! If you haven't already, you'll probably want to delete/disable the sound symposer once the new exhaust setup is in.
I have already deleted it. I took it out when I put my PCV side OCC. Talk about quiet... I didn't realize how much noise was coming from that thing

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dude I'm so used to my exhaust, I drove my friends new 2018 WRX she just bought and I was like damn this feel so slow just because it doesn't have ANY exhaust sound. Literally nothing. Like I didn't even hear the engine noise enough to know to shift lol I had to look. Wild. I'd hate my ST like that
Exactly! haha After I took the symposer off which wasn't anything much to start, the car is virtually silent now other than intake! I was like "oh **** what did I just do!" That's when all of my exhaust research and planning started

1 - 20 of 40 Posts