Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so ever since getting my resonator (basically a straight through muffler) deleted, I have been greatly enjoying the 1st gear decel snap crackle pop noises the car makes. Today, I was in a parking lot and I was just cruising like normal and it did something I have NEVER heard the car do before. It backfired, 3 times in a row. At first I was screaming and loving it like every guy does about his exhaust, then I got thinking. It has NEVER done that before, or at least, not this loudly. Is this behavior okay?

And also, were the crackles always there and the sound just being absorbed by the resonator before, or does the resonator delete change something in the way of how the exhaust works, and can these sounds I am hearing have a negative effect on my cat. I am stock everything except the resonator delete and I am not tuned. The cracks and pops are just what ever the stock tune produces, not induced in any way.

I am probably over thinking this and should just enjoy the amazingly sexy noises my car is making. But its my first ever "new" car, and I want to make sure I dont hurt my baby. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
The noises you are hearing were there before, except for the back fires maybe, the resonator was doing it's job. The backfires were most likely some un-burnt fuel hitting the hot side of the turbo, unless it's doing it all the time, and then it may be a burnt exhaust valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine has the resonator and the muffler deleted and i get all kinds of decel popping cracking and slight back fires, how ever i dont know id consider it a "true back fire" though. not like some backfires ive had on some old carborated vehicles. Did i mention i love how loud it is?!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The noises you are hearing were there before, except for the back fires maybe, the resonator was doing it's job. The backfires were most likely some un-burnt fuel hitting the hot side of the turbo, unless it's doing it all the time, and then it may be a burnt exhaust valve.
As Fred said, you never noticed these because they were muted (as intended) by your stock exhaust. With my MBRP/CatlessDP combo I occasionally get one or two LOUD backfires on occasion. Scares me sometimes since it'll randomly be winding down from 4.5-5k rpm and just go POP-POP...I just smile :cool: no harm no foul. Unless it's constant.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Fred said, you never noticed these because they were muted (as intended) by your stock exhaust. With my MBRP/CatlessDP combo I occasionally get one or two LOUD backfires on occasion. Scares me sometimes since it'll randomly be winding down from 4.5-5k rpm and just go POP-POP...I just smile :cool: no harm no foul. Unless it's constant.
No it isnt constant like the stratified tune, that tune is obnoxious. I was just cruising in 1st gear to a stop sign in the parking lot and it went POP POP POP. And I had never heard it do 3 in a row before. I have heard it do pops and snaps like this before when reving for someone, but these were LOUD. Almost RS loud. But I enjoyed it. Also, its worth mentioning that I had been driving the car for about 4 hours straight and the oil temp was just barely a hair past the middle mark on the gauge, it usually stays before the middle mark or right on the middle mark for me, but I had never driven it for this long of a period of time in the city before. I noticed once I got the car back up to highway speed and got some cold night air running through the intercooler, the temps dropped back down to normal just a hair before the middle mark. Dont exagerate though, these were MINUTE movements of the needle, barely moving. But me being a fanatic I watch it carefully. Gonna check today to make sure my active grill shutters arent acting up. But at only 4k miles on the car....they shouldnt be. My oil level is fine, its a little golden brown, but otherwise fine, still the factory oil, no first service yet and I have had the car since May last year, been trying to follow the manual's suggested 5000 mile before first oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I never noticed any crackles or pops with stock exhauast/tune with my resonator delete.

Now I don't find my loud Crackles Stratified tune obnoxious, by default.
IT CAN BE, but you have to feather the throttle on decel to keep it going.
I look forward to trying out the v9 tune progressive crackles.

Catless 3" with a magnaflow muffler sounds GOOOOOOD.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
78 Posts
My car gurgles on throttle lift in 1st and second gear and I'm also stock with a resonator delete. Love the sound when I'm going down a parking garage/near a wall.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
No it isnt constant like the stratified tune, that tune is obnoxious. I was just cruising in 1st gear to a stop sign in the parking lot and it went POP POP POP. And I had never heard it do 3 in a row before. I have heard it do pops and snaps like this before when reving for someone, but these were LOUD. Almost RS loud. But I enjoyed it. Also, its worth mentioning that I had been driving the car for about 4 hours straight and the oil temp was just barely a hair past the middle mark on the gauge, it usually stays before the middle mark or right on the middle mark for me, but I had never driven it for this long of a period of time in the city before. I noticed once I got the car back up to highway speed and got some cold night air running through the intercooler, the temps dropped back down to normal just a hair before the middle mark. Dont exagerate though, these were MINUTE movements of the needle, barely moving. But me being a fanatic I watch it carefully. Gonna check today to make sure my active grill shutters arent acting up. But at only 4k miles on the car....they shouldnt be. My oil level is fine, its a little golden brown, but otherwise fine, still the factory oil, no first service yet and I have had the car since May last year, been trying to follow the manual's suggested 5000 mile before first oil change.
I wasn't talking about the Stratified crackles...i meant my exhaust just causes backfires by itself without a Strat tune.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't talking about the Stratified crackles...i meant my exhaust just causes backfires by itself without a Strat tune.
I know, I was just giving you a comparison so you can visualize it better. ;)

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts