Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having this product on the car for a year and a half, it has failed. I noticed something wrong when the engine light came on.
Got to the house and plugged the Access Port in, it gave me NO codes, none, after i ran it three times. So I reset it.
Next day the car started with out issues, no engine light. The weekend goes by with no problems (didn't drive much)
Monday rolls around and I want to check my oil levels, so I pop open the hood and what do i see?? A damn mess of oil droplets everywhere; where did they come from? The evident points towards the CFM Billet breather kit. only thing without oil on top of it, pulled off the filter of the breather kit, a bunch of oil all over the aluminum top and sides.
Bingo!
I put the filter back on after cleaning off some of the engine to test it. Drove to school; came home and checked. Oil droplets emanating from the Breather kit!

Got ahold of CMF ONLINE, someone said they will look into it...Not holding my breath.

I'd like to have a better revision on this product cause the polyurethane rubber necking just isn't going to cut it.

I'm not upset yet, we'll see what CFM does to rectify this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oil pressure not climing any more
That sucks. Good luck. I will be getting rid of mine as it spews oil as well. I have bought 2 of them and they both let oil by. I just put a new filter on when I dynoed my car after the built engine went in. It was soaked with oil after the dyno runs. I ran one since stock all the way to built engine and they have always leaked.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Yeah I was looking into one of these but have my concerns now...I will watch and see how this goes for everyone
There's previous thread(s) where it's gone poorly for people, haven't gone back in awhile to see if even more failed, but here's a couple more that did. And no one really knows if it's helping or hurting

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
if you didnt have that breather, all that oil would have went into your intake, went through your turbo, and settled in the intercooler/charge pipe

that pressure would have happened with or without the breather on.

thats the only reason to have a catch can after the valve cover, to catch oil in this situation.

plenty of people have had oil go through the turbo - with the breather installed it goes through it instead

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I may be reading this thread wrong, but I think the cause:effect relationship may be backwards?

The breather in my experience was most likely spewing oil because the motor started generating a lot of excess blowby at the top of the valve cover.

Typically that happens because either the PCV valve is stuck closed or the rings are letting a lot of blowby get by. Rings not sealing is either a ringland issue (cracked piston(s)) or the rings are just worn.

In stock trim, the top of the valve cover is vented to atmosphere too, albeit by being connected to the inlet air hose, post-filter. And except when we are under boost, there is vacuum in the crankcase most times, even during normal cruising.

Often VTA devices are said to have "failed" when in actual fact they are just demonstrating evidence of a PCV or ring/ringland failure.

If it were my motor, I'd do a compression test, and if all is well, replace the PCV (it's about $45 and comes with the valve and the cover plate as one piece).

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, and I hope it's just the PCV, but best to find out now as if it is a ringland starting to let go, it's much less cost if you don't have to replace the entire motor, turbo and cat.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the problem, the check valve or the little ball inside the billet aluminum breather has failed not the rubber necking on the product. We did a few test runs last night after cleaning and checking everything.
And as soon as i open my hood a ball of fire comes toward my face, took a step back as my friend rush for a fire extinguisher i noticed a nice pool of oil with the CFM product in the middle.
Compression check has been preformed, maintenance has been preformed on a regular, all piping is firmly fitted down, I mean all your info sounds good and legit but none of the info you (nicely) put down is not right at this time.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you didnt have that breather, all that oil would have went into your intake, went through your turbo, and settled in the intercooler/charge pipe

that pressure would have happened with or without the breather on.

thats the only reason to have a catch can after the valve cover, to catch oil in this situation.

plenty of people have had oil go through the turbo - with the breather installed it goes through it instead
Got a catch can for this. :)

Update: so far no one from CFM has provided a service.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mark is spot on. Oil means excess blow by, which without the breather that would all be in your intake tube turbo and ic. I have one, never any oil coming out, or smoke which would be a engine sealing problem in itself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I found the problem, the check valve or the little ball inside the billet aluminum breather has failed not the rubber necking on the product. We did a few test runs last night after cleaning and checking everything.
And as soon as i open my hood a ball of fire comes toward my face, took a step back as my friend rush for a fire extinguisher i noticed a nice pool of oil with the CFM product in the middle.
Compression check has been preformed, maintenance has been preformed on a regular, all piping is firmly fitted down, I mean all your info sounds good and legit but none of the info you (nicely) put down is not right at this time.
This does not make any sense, what was the fire from? Is oil just shooting out of your valve cover onto the exhaust? You have some un controlled crankcase pressure somewhere. Sorry this happened, but if oil is coming from your breather there is an internal engine problem. If you dont believe that, put your stock oil cap back on and the fire will be coming from your exhaust when the cat lights it up.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The breather is such a simple design that there is nothing that could fail. It's a billet base with a baffle system and a check ball. There are no parts that require exact tolerances to ensure proper function or parts that could wear.

If it's been working all this time and only NOW spitting oil, then I hate to say it but there's something wrong with the car.

As @jalapeno mentioned the breather is merely venting pressure that otherwise would be blowing into your intake. That positive crank pressure would be finding its way out regardless if you ran the breather or not.

The breather has not failed, the oil that is coming out is really a symptom that there is something wrong.

Our shop Focus ST has been running the breather for well over a year and has yet to see oil come out. The car is daily driven, has just about every bolt on (short of a BT) and is ran at the drag strip often. After numerous hard passes, no oil.

If every Focus ST has had this issue then there would be more to look into but that is not the case. There is a percentage of reported issues but many more without.

Our breathers are on numerous platforms, MS3, Ford (exc. ST), LSx, Mopar, and even a few full on race cars with no issues.

I would suggest doing a compression test, maybe even a leak down.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This does not make any sense, what was the fire from? Is oil just shooting out of your valve cover onto the exhaust? You have some un controlled crankcase pressure somewhere. Sorry this happened, but if oil is coming from your breather there is an internal engine problem. If you dont believe that, put your stock oil cap back on and the fire will be coming from your exhaust when the cat lights it up.
Threw the oil cap back on and started her up a few mins ago till she got warm, no fire no back fires.
The reason why the Mario fire ball came out is because oil was being shot behind the engine bay and hitting the turbo, as soon as it got oxygen it went up.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when the check valve on the CFM breather kit failed it became a geyser and not longer a breather, its such an easy design, yes but also susceptible to failure as this one did.
I've never had a problem before with the crank case.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.