Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. There is this yellow residue on the rear quarter panel just before the rear tire. It looks like sap or grease. Any ideas on the best way to remove this?

Thanks!

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'd say clay bar it.

Reactions: brian60 and Vigil15

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have goo gone at home.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Could it also be excess wax? Or some sort of soap? If it is I've had to steam it off before. (went through a crappy touchless car wash and had excess wax in the crevices between my tail lights).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did you put any tire shine on recently? Sometimes if you dont let it dry it can sprey off as you drive and stain the paint, especially white. Try clay barring.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you put any tire shine on recently? Sometimes if you dont let it dry it can sprey off as you drive and stain the paint, especially white. Try clay barring.
The car wash guys used tire shine...

·
Registered
651 Posts
The car wash guys used tire shine...
Highly suggest what the other guys are going with. Always start with the least abrasive methods first. Believe it or not, spray wax will actually get stuff like this off sometimes. I would go spray wax, goo gone, then clay. If it still doesn't come off, PART OUT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd try WD-40 and a microfiber, add some water first if you're worried about scratching and then some WD-40, you can use your finger nail very lightly if needed but if that doesn't work, Id try clay bar for sure next, if that doesn't work I'd look into alternative methods like mentioned before with something with a little bit more grit to it

·
Registered
2013 Oxford White Focus ST3
481 Posts
Might be iron from the brake pads. I user to get lots of yellow spots/dots on my OW '13. They are little metal ridged flakes that in bed themselves in your wax and paint. I would buy a bottle of "Iron X" and try that. Just follow the instructions and watch those little spots turn purple.

I use Iron X twice a year before i claybar and wax the car. It's an awsome product

·
Registered
481 Posts
Below

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
it smells vile though lol. I use it a couple times a year and man it smells.
Yeah but you don't buy it for it's robust fragrance. You buy it because it works wonders.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
How about getting wax off your mud flaps?
Multi purpose cleaner maybe? You definitely have to work to get ALL that stuff off before it has time to dry and make it look gross

·
Registered
481 Posts
How about getting wax off your mud flaps?
Eeewwwwww, bad news there. It is tough to get wax off after it has time to dry. When I wax my whip I take painters tape and tape off all areas that might get wax on them. ie....trim around the body, plastic parts of the mirror, window trim, antenna, roof rails etc....

Wish I had an answer for you. If you getbitbout post what did and didn't work

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Eeewwwwww, bad news there. It is tough to get wax off after it has time to dry. When I wax my whip I take painters tape and tape off all areas that might get wax on them. ie....trim around the body, plastic parts of the mirror, window trim, antenna, roof rails etc....

Painters tape isn’t a bad idea, just adds time. I carefully free-handed around all the trim and did a pretty good job, first time I got a lot more on the trim but wiped clean as I went. Washing it again today I saw wax mainly coming out of my wheel wells, oh well doesn’t bother me too much, they are after all just mud flaps.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Multi purpose cleaner maybe? You definitely have to work to get ALL that stuff off before it has time to dry and make it look gross
Yea I did clean everything up although in a rush after detailing all day, saw wax since then sprayed out from wheel wells. Haven’t tried that hard to clean, just wet towels.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yea I did clean everything up although in a rush after detailing all day, saw wax since then sprayed out from wheel wells. Haven’t tried that hard to clean, just wet towels.
Dried wax is easily one of the most annoying things about detailing. I ALWAYS miss it somewhere, no matter how small.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts

Just a wet towel, patience, and some elbow grease and it’s good to go :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts