Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know how to get access to the tail light assemblies? I would like to replace many of my bulbs with LED bulbs and the manual is clear as mud. Also does any one know if the stock turn signal flashers will work with LED bulbs or will they require a resistor? You would think by now cars would have electronic flashers...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I actually just did mine...very easy to do. Yes, you do need resistors to avoid hyper flash. In the hatch area, look right behind the taillight and you will see a small hole and a wingnut inside...and theres is a little square that pops off below it that it cut into the padding material. There are two nuts total to remove and then the traillight pops right out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where do you find the LEDs all the auto stores here do not carry anything for my car yet

·
Registered
756 Posts
Where do you find the LEDs all the auto stores here do not carry anything for my car yet
There's nothing car specific about LED lamp assemblies, just get them for the correct replacement bulb spec.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Reactions: scrmn_st

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I beleive the owners manual has a list of lamp replacment numbers. For those confused, the manual is that paper thingy stuffed in your hard to use glovebox.

P.S. Like many electricians have told me. A bulb is what you plant in the ground, not what you screw in an electrical socket.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I beleive the owners manual has a list of lamp replacment numbers. For those confused, the manual is that paper thingy stuffed in your hard to use glovebox.

P.S. Like many electricians have told me. A bulb is what you plant in the ground, not what you screw in an electrical socket.
Ok yeah I've read the Manual it's just been a month or so and I can't remember if I can go from what it comes stock with to led

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the response! I found one wingnut on each side, didn't even notice the covers over the other two. Those plastic wingnuts won't turn for squat with fingers or pliers. I think I'm gonna see if I can buy a couple spares before I get the experience of breaking them. Hmmmm...thinking maybe slotting a piece of thick PVC tubing will make a good tool for removing those.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I used needlenose pliers, they were TIGHT! IIRC there are two nuts per and a snap-fit stud on the leading edge.

(Trying to attach a pictute on Tapatalk and it keeps crashing)
I tell ya duck, I've looked at that weird picture several times, I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be of :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Pictures of the tail light at night would be great if there are any out there. Trying to figure out if this is for me.

Wes

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are the LEDs brighter, the same, or less bright? I'd consider going to LED if they are the same brightness or better simply for the piece of mind of not having to worry about changing bulbs, but I don't want to sacrifice performance to do it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
...I'd consider going to LED if they are the same brightness or better simply for the piece of mind of not having to worry about changing bulbs...
In my experience LED tailight bulbs typically last less than a year. The wires in their bases have been the weak spot on the ones I've bought.

That said, I just replaced them again. Maybe this batch will hold up better.

Why do I keep replacing them with LEDs when I've had such poor luck? LEDs light up a split second before incandescent brake light bulbs do. When you see that split second difference in real life you'll see how significant it is. Even at 30mph you go over 4 feet in less than a 10th of a second.

"“Our research shows that
between 37% and 74% of rear-end
collisions are preventable by early
warning systems.... Just 0.5
seconds [500 ms] in early warning
would reduce rear-end collisions
by 60%.” Two UMTRI studies
conclude that LED signals provide
a braking response time
advantage between 170 and 200
ms under favorable lighting
conditions and up to 300 ms
under adverse lighting conditions
(e.g., viewing at a distance with
high-intensity illumination on the
lamp surface). Note that a 200 ms
improvement in braking response
time is equivalent to a 19.1 feet
reduction in stopping distance at
a speed of 65 MPH."

http://chemistry.beloit.edu/BlueLight/pages/hp/an1155-3.pdf

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pics of installed LED replacements will be greatly appreciated ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had very limited success with this, the only LED lights still on my car are the liscence plate lights and the dome light (I got mine from lightingnext). I thought there would be no issues with the brake lights being LED, as there is no bulb failure warning system and they don’t blink. I was wrong. At first it appeared to work, I was happy, and the LEDs were almost as bright as the incans. Then a week or two later I follow my wife home from the beach, (it’s her car) and I see a stuck on turn signal light. I didn’t touch the turn signals! After fiddling with it, I confirmed it was glitchy, so out came the LEDs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts