Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the battery died on my car last weekend and I ended up getting a replacement from Autozone. I've had the car close to three years so I figure it's sounds about the right time for it to go out. Plus I live in Las Vegas and the heat takes it toll on car batteries out here. For owners that live in extreme heat areas, is three years typical for the OE battery? Also, is there any particular reason I should've gotten a Motorcraft replacement instead of what Autozone has? I'm sure there isn't but I wanted to check ;) .

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think OEMs are using cheaper and cheaper batteries. Last 2 cars I've had to replace batteries in less than 3 years of ownership. So, in my experience your issue does not approve be atypical.

And AutoZone batteries are fine, they have a good warranty and as long as the specifications are correct there should be no issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My stock battery just went out the other day. I also got a replacement from autozone. I have 34,000 miles on my car.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Heh, The battery in my 11' Ram is the OEM one (63k on it thus far)

and the battery in my mom's 12' Chrysler van is OEM aswell.... (55k on it)

I must be doing alright then!
Sorry, depends on use and climate as well. At the 3 year mark, i was over 100k and in South Florida Heat... My battery took a beating.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm on 3.5 years going strong still. According to the dealership battery test paperwork.......lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd say 3yrs on a typical OEM battery is about right.

Most cars come with cheaper batteries of the regular lead-acid type. Things like deep-discharges and extreme hot or cold will reduce their life.

My Miata came with an AGM type battery. It was always kept on a maintainer and in a climate-controlled garage. That little sucker lasted 11yrs and 115k miles! :money:

As far as your replacement, brand doesn't really matter for the most part as long as you didn't buy the cheapest thing on the shelf. If the terminals are in the right spots, and the CCA is at least the same as OEM you're fine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This topic is very, very YMMV. Some people get 10 years on an OEM, some only 2. Batteries are very sensitive to being drained, charge-discharge cycles, heat, cold, undercharge, overcharge. I'd say expect 3 years, hope for 5, be pissed if you get 2. Notice battery warranties are usually 36 months. Manufacturers know something there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine is just about two years old. Popped the caps off and refilled with distilled water this morning. Took almost a pint.
If you don't do this periodically the plates will eventually become exposed and you'll be driving on borrowed time.

Regardless of how well you maintain it, a battery will last an average of three to four years.

Of the two of the other cars I maintain one has an eight year old battery and the other a seven year old battery. I know I'm due for a trip to the auto parts store soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am going on my third year, and I have to replace my battery due to a dead cell. My new battery also, only came with 2 year warrent vs the 5 year warrenty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the battery died on my car last weekend and I ended up getting a replacement from Autozone. I've had the car close to three years so I figure it's sounds about the right time for it to go out. Plus I live in Las Vegas and the heat takes it toll on car batteries out here. For owners that live in extreme heat areas, is three years typical for the OE battery? Also, is there any particular reason I should've gotten a Motorcraft replacement instead of what Autozone has? I'm sure there isn't but I wanted to check ;) .
In Florida, you are lucky to get 2 years from an OEM battery due to the heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts