Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an ST, I found this one, it's a 2015, I want Oxford White but this car had the option of the red stripes and red mirror covers... Ok the covers will be easy to replace to a white one.. but anyone in here have removed those stripes? Does the paint faded a lot?

20170625_104255_small.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an ST, I found this one, it's a 2015, I want Oxford White but this car had the option of the red stripes and red mirror covers... Ok the covers will be easy to replace to a white one.. but anyone in here have removed those stripes? Does the paint faded a lot?

View attachment 252393

Thanks
Its definitely going to be obvious there were stripes there as the paint under the decal will be a shade or two brighter than the paint around it. I suggest having the car detailed by a professional who can do a multistep correction. Not only will it blend those areas but it will also protect the paint once finished..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
this is funny, I also bought the exact same 2015 ST2 in march, right down to the matching wheels. my original plans were to pull the stripes off as well, but have been putting it off since I don't want to pay any money to change out the mirror caps. was thinking about just leaving the mirror caps since they match the brakes. but honestly, they are kinda growing on me, it just drive me nuts that the stripes don't go all the way down the bumpers.

·
Registered
455 Posts
this is funny, I also bought the exact same 2015 ST2 in march, right down to the matching wheels. my original plans were to pull the stripes off as well, but have been putting it off since I don't want to pay any money to change out the mirror caps. was thinking about just leaving the mirror caps since they match the brakes. but honestly, they are kinda growing on me, it just drive me nuts that the stripes don't go all the way down the bumpers.
Could always pull the stripes and wrap the mirrors in black.. Ive been wanting to wrap the roof and mirrors on mine in black, it looks clean!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
that has been considered. often. Ideally I want to wrap the entire car in something like a magnetic color with a satin finish, then maybe add black strips back on. I'm not again stripes, I'm just not crazy about the red on white.

but like I said, I'm kinda starting to like it!

·
Registered
455 Posts
that has been considered. often. Ideally I want to wrap the entire car in something like a magnetic color with a satin finish, then maybe add black strips back on. I'm not again stripes, I'm just not crazy about the red on white.

but like I said, I'm kinda starting to like it!
If you go that route make sure whoever does the wrap uses the best material you can get. When they use the cheap thin stuff it doesnt last as long and doesnt come off very easily, some of it also leaves a yellow residue from cheap glue thats used.. Perfect example is my womans 2015 white F150. The dealership she leases from "customized" the truck and used some ****ty wrap. It faded very quickly, was a ***** to peel off even with heat, left a yellow tint on the white paint and on the roof its completely shredded itself somehow.. its like it bubbled and then was ripped to shreds while driving, lasted less than 18 months..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
oh yeah, you got to use quality vinyl for a complete wrap, not only does it help to last longer, but the cheap stuff is hell getting it to contour to all the tough shapes, usually in the bumpers.

now when I wrapped my toolbox, it was with the super cheap Chinese stuff and even that was a pain to do on all flat surfaces.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Okay, so lots of talk from people who DIDNT do it. I HAVE removed the stripes from mine. Didn't notice a difference after a good wash, no fade lines etc.... Also, had the shop that does bodywork for my ford dealer to paint my caps for $40. Take those ugly bastards off ASAP.

Edit: my car was new and black. don't know how that effects it vs white.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so lots of talk from people who DIDNT do it. I HAVE removed the stripes from mine. Didn't notice a difference after a good wash, no fade lines etc.... Also, had the shop that does bodywork for my ford dealer to paint my caps for $40. Take those ugly bastards off ASAP.

Edit: my car was new and black. don't know how that effects it vs white.
Yeah my problem with those stripes is that the car is used, it's a 2015, so 2 years of sun and winter here in Quebec... The guy that had the car don't seems to have taken care of it... so I suspect a fade, will have to buff the car up if I buy it... Plus mirror covers are really easy to change...

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I told the dealer I would only buy the car if they removed the stripes and buffed it out. They did it with no problem. It's Oxford White and had black stripes. But it was new so paint fade wasn't really a big worry.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I told the dealer I would only buy the car if they removed the stripes and buffed it out.
+1

I read through not seeing that you haven't bought it yet. 100% express your dislike of the stripes to the dealer. Most dealers will go out of their way to "help" you purchase a car and you should have no problem getting them to remove the stripes (Hell, they may even replace the mirror covers). Say that you want to come back to see it one more time after removal to make sure the paint hadn't been damaged and that should motivate them to do more of a professional job than just pulling up the vinyl.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
They do look kinda strange on an unmodified car. I think stripes only look good if you intend to do more extensive sporty modifications, otherwise it looks rather sad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts