Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a remote start installed, and I figured I'd post with some of the questions I had.
  • It can be done, but the ST wiring is different from standard Focus models, so there is no "proper way" to do it.
  • You lose a factory key. It's hardwired into the system to start the car, and only powered when the remote start is active.
  • There are quirks. The car turns off when you open a door or unlock the door, and you have to start it again.
  • It was expensive. More than double what a standard install should cost.
If I had to do it again, weighing the options, I'm not sure I'd have it done, but it is possible.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I would have considered those sacrifices acceptable until the engine turning off when you unlock the door part. I think that is where it starts to be borderline dangerous.

Reactions: cbdallas

·
Registered
155 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I would have considered those sacrifices acceptable until the engine turning off when you unlock the door part. I think that is where it starts to be borderline dangerous.
The remote start system turns off, not the engine. It keeps the engine running until doors are locked so it knows it’s in neutral. If you open a door the system turns off because it doesn’t know it’s not in gear as the door was opened.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Out of curiosity, how is the hidden key isolated from the car's factory key fob antennae? Unless its sealed up in a lead box, this sounds to me like you're better off throwing the keys on your dashboard and walking away for someone to take.

Reactions: brianlovelace

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Out of curiosity, how is the hidden key isolated from the car's factory key fob antennae? Unless its sealed up in a lead box, this sounds to me like you're better off throwing the keys on your dashboard and walking away for someone to take.
The key bypass in my car has the battery removed and replaced with a small board with contacts. it only powers up the key a few seconds before the crank command after you activate it and a few seconds after the car has been confirmed running it will kill the power to the fob. this bypass is a small black hidden extremely deep behind the dash and no where near the back up antenna. no worries of the RF code getting read by the computer by mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts