Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Relocate factory igntion start button?

11K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  JOKR-ST 
#1 ·
So I know this might be a little crazy but I've become interested in relocating the ignition start button to somewhere not so awkward. I was thinking of replacing the 12v next to my shifter as I litterally never use it. Anyone have some input or has tried this before?

Vehicle Car Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Car Gear shift Executive car Family car

See less See more
#2 ·
If they just use single conductor wire it's a fairly straight forward extension. Not sure if they are the same diameter. But that would be a need mod. How would you plug the old location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
In theory it shouldn't be that hard for the wiring, though I don't know the diameter. The current location would be a decent place for a USB charging port. I haven't seen anyone do this but I'm interested in seeing how it works if you move forward.

Reactions: Sir__Awesome
#11 ·
either that or I can easily make a plug. Not really sure until I pull off the panels

#12 ·
Honestly it would be ideal right where the front usb is in the 2015 models. Like in the new mustangs. but we will see if I can do this

#6 ·
The reason it is in an awkward spot is that it is less likely you'll accidentally hit the button when using the car and shut it off, I bet. Imagine doing some spirited driving and your hand slips and hits the button next to the shifter, bam your car shuts down. You lose.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Darkdayz23
#8 ·
Well to do anything to your car while you are driving it the button has to be held down for a few seconds while you are moving to turn off the motor. I could tap it all day like I was turning it on and it won't turn off.

#9 ·
Neat idea. I don't mind the factory location but I think it would look cool next to the shifter. And like others said, it won't let you shut the engine off if it's moving over a few mph anyway so no risk there.

Reactions: Sir__Awesome
#10 ·
I will probably pull off some of the panels next day I can so stay tuned. Will respond back once I have more details

#13 ·
I like this idea too..
On a related note, does anyone know if the Mustang button is the same size? The red GT350 button could be kinda neat..

#14 ·
It is smaller. I would look at just getting a sticker or an overlay for the factory button. They will be easier and cheaper

#15 ·
Well the spot where the 12v outlet is at is molded into the center console so its not going to work there without doing some modifications, lets just say I'm not cutting up the console on my new car!

#16 ·
Reactions: JOKR-ST
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.