Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 ST is getting up there in mileage, 100,000km (62,000 miles). What is recommended mileage to service the transmission and coolant? What fluids are you using? OEM? Aftermarket?
Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would change the transmission every 15k-20k (miles) cheep insurance. So yes, go ahead and change the transmission fluid.

The two safest bets are the OEM fluid, or Motul DCT.

I would also change your coolant every 2 years, with a proper flush it doesn't matter what you put in it, but I would use either the OEM Ford fluid, or a high quality Non-Silicate fluid (Hondas OE fluid is fantastic for Aluminum)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My change intervals:

Engine oil every ~6K miles based on several samples processed by Blackstone labs, or, when the ECU reports Engine Oil Life Left of 50%, whichever comes first. I was using Penzoil Platinum Plus Synthetic Made From Natural Gas, but with 62K miles on the car have just switched to Redline full synthetic, which is a true GF-5 synthetic.

Transmission oil every 36K miles. I used the Motul DCTF fluid, but really felt no major difference between it and the factory Ford fluid. Those two are the only ones here in the US that meet the Ford spec. Castrol makes a DCTF oil but it's only available overseas.

Coolant. I'm a once-every-three-years person. The Ford factory fluid comes in both a pre-mix and a full-strength solution. I'd recommend the pre-mix, then you don't have to worry about the cleanliness of whatever distilled water you use for mixing.

Brake Fluid. Same as coolant; a two-quart flush every three years using a Motive Power (pressure, not vacuum) bleeder. Don't forget to bleed the clutch slave cylinder too.

Nothing wrong with shorter intervals either, especially if you are doing auto-X, track or drag racing.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: LeojST

·
Registered
696 Posts
OP, thanks for asking!

Everyone else, thanks for answering!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You aren't gonna hurt anything but your wallet but Serious overkill going on here, Just follow ford recommended intervals for your car and save a buck.. There's been Blackstone lab tests at 12000 miles that still show tons of life in the oil.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 2014 ST is getting up there in mileage, 100,000km (62,000 miles). What is recommended mileage to service the transmission and coolant? What fluids are you using? OEM? Aftermarket?
Thanks
I'd change the spark plugs before I change the transmission fluid.

Manual Transmission Fluid lasts 160K kms, unless you live in a dusty envrionment.

Change the coolant and the spark plugs, along with regular oil change + filter change.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There's been Blackstone lab tests at 12000 miles that still show tons of life in the oil.
Agreed. I'm right there with the biggest gear heads on here and love working on my car, but like mentioned, my latest Blackstone reports are supporting easy 10,000 mile change intervals with Amsoil. You will hear the term "cheap insurance" thrown around quite a bit from the guys insisting on 3 - 5,000 mile oil changes...it is not cheap insurance. It's a waste of money and resources. But, to each his own, and those guys aren't gonna listen no matter what proof you show them anyways, so... Make your own educated decisions, but make educated ones none the less. If you want to do 3,000 mile oil changes, rock on...but don't do it cause you think it's "cheap insurance" or because your dad did it that way back in the '70's.

Brake fluid is one of the most neglected fluids in cars today. The general public never even thinks to change brake fluid and it's more susceptible to moisture and age than any other fluid in your car. 3 years would be, IMO, the max to let brake fluid go for 'optimum' performance. If you're a straight up DD, would you ever notice the decrease in boiling point/compressibility? Probably not, but maybe under aggressive conditions you might. This fluid has a tangible safety factor/performance gain from regular maintenance.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Agreed. I'm right there with the biggest gear heads on here and love working on my car, but like mentioned, my latest Blackstone reports are supporting easy 10,000 mile change intervals with Amsoil. You will hear the term "cheap insurance" thrown around quite a bit from the guys insisting on 3 - 5,000 mile oil changes...it is not cheap insurance. It's a waste of money and resources. But, to each his own, and those guys aren't gonna listen no matter what proof you show them anyways, so... Make your own educated decisions, but make educated ones none the less. If you want to do 3,000 mile oil changes, rock on...but don't do it cause you think it's "cheap insurance" or because your dad did it that way back in the '70's.

Brake fluid is one of the most neglected fluids in cars today. The general public never even thinks to change brake fluid and it's more susceptible to moisture and age than any other fluid in your car. 3 years would be, IMO, the max to let brake fluid go for 'optimum' performance. If you're a straight up DD, would you ever notice the decrease in boiling point/compressibility? Probably not, but maybe under aggressive conditions you might. This fluid has a tangible safety factor/performance gain from regular maintenance.
This....

I love hearing when someone posts about changing it when the oil "looks" dark. This is exactly what its supposed to do, it means its cleaning the internals. This isnt necessarily a sign that the oil is bad either. These folks have obviously never worked on a diesel. You can put fresh oil in and 10 seconds of idling I promise you that oil will look black again. lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow you guys change coolant every 2 to 3 years? Manual says 6 years is that too long? I am at 5 years but 19k miles only. Temps seem ok, change it right away or it's ok?

Only 19k miles but did a track day half year ago, one session I didn't cool down properly and white smoke was coming out of coolant area when I was coming back to parking lot at slow speed, I think that was the coolant. Diddn't see any leak or lost a lot of coolant etc. Car drove fine.

I think our cars it uses up coolant once awhile? I had to fill it up every 6 to 12 months, it always gets a little low after awhile, does yours do the same thing? I always filled it up with distilled water.

Also just drain and refill coolant? or flush it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts