Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 ST1 which comes with the factory backup camera. I used the connects2 dash kit and wiring harness to install a new single din head unit. Unfortunately this process loses the backup camera. You can use the steering wheel controls to change the date/time on the screen but no more camera. I could just bypass it for the screen/camera but then I would have the wrong date/time sitting there all the time and that would annoy me real quick. Ideally I would like that screen to only do anything when the backup camera kicks in. No date/time ever needed. Does anyone know if there are wires I could cut to disable that date/time overlay? Or maybe bypass the constant power and instead use the reverse light power? Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am thinking from this I might just need the red power, black grounds, the blue video+ and green video-. Maybe the ICANs also?

Wiring.jpg

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll be honest, I did not even know that you could get an ST1 with a back up camera from the factory.

But in regards to how the camera works, it uses a chassis ground and is powered by the BCM (Body Control Module), it is not powered by the FCDIM. The camera is powered up and sending a camera feed to the screen anytime the ignition is on. When the vehicle is shifted to reverse, the screen is simply switched over to the camera feed. The command to switch to the reverse camera on the screen is typically done with the BCM.

So I would think you would have to get the BCM to tell your head unit when the car is in reverse (not possible)

The ICAN is used to send out audio information to other modules, it is not used for the camera.

What level Sync do you have? If you have Sync...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure what version of Sync it is. Pretty sure at least not Sync 3.

I did some testing last night. With the screen connected like from the factory, bypassing the aftermarket interface it worked great. It didn't display anything until I put it in reverse and the camera came on. Unfortunately, the aftermarket head unit did not power up. So the interface is getting its power from the factory screen wiring. This means I would have to know exactly what wires are what in the aftermarket interface and hack something together. So, for now, no backup camera.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sync 3 is an 8 inch touch screen. Sync 1 is a 4.2 inch non touch screen.

But like I was saying, I am pretty sure it's a networked message. I can't imagine you will have good luck piggy backing into the network circuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts