Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the Redline Tuning Hood Struts have you noticed that the plate connected to the fender turns/pivots around the bolt as if it isn't torqued all the way down? I torqued the bolts as tight as I feel comfortable and still notice the fender bolt plate move slightly after opening and closing the hood. It clearly isn't going to pop off, but I don't want it to turn and mess up the paint.

Anyone have this issue and come up with an easy solution?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Since there is only one bolt hole to hold it down, and the strut mounting point is off center, there will always be a force rotating that bracket and it's designed to come into contact with the side of the fender to stop that rotation... I don't have a lot of confidence that this won't rub some paint off sooner or later.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did your kit come with a star washer? IIRC, the star washer goes under the bracket-between the bracket and the fender. That helps prevent the rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Mine did not, and honestly if it did, I definitely would not have used it because it would guaranteed dig into the paint from all the teeth in the star washer causing an opportunity for rust to start

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kona Blue ST3
526 Posts
I saw a thread somewhere where a guy replaced the stock nutplate with an actual nut which let him tighten the bolt enough to prevent the plate rotating. Also have seen several recommendations to use a dab of RTV under the plate to help prevent it from rotating.

Honestly, the fender mounting is the main reason I went with the Steeda unit. It's designed to butt up against the raised edge of the fender entirely to prevent it from turning at all. I know that doesn't help you, but it's good info for anyone looking to buy a set of hood struts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts