Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get my stock FMIC replaced with a new, better performance FMIC. Been wanting to replace for some time now, have done some reading on here about certain IC's but still can't decide. Another question is, my car is at 2K miles, still a baby, would you recommend modding yet? Already running Cobb AP OTS 91 oct. lol. Thanks in advance and sorry for the IC questions. #Noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you want to spend a lot, get a focus specific intercooler. If you want to spend less, get a treadstone tr8 and be happy with similar charge temps. An intercooler is always a good mod no matter the age of the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the full size cp-e deltacore and I could not be happier. I run a stock tune but it makes a positive difference in heat soak even when stock and I noticed zero pressure drop or lag, plus it looks nice with the grille insert removed.
IMG_0297.JPG IMG_1607.JPG

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the full size cp-e deltacore and I could not be happier. I run a stock tune but it makes a positive difference in heat soak even when stock and I noticed zero pressure drop or lag, plus it looks nice with the grille insert removed.
View attachment 174321 View attachment 174329
Did you notice an increase in boost? Keeping power in longer?

·
Registered
255 Posts
IMHO an upgraded intercooler is the first way to go unless you go tuner, which you've already done. Especially if you're located in the south like me. I ordered a Steeda (rebranded lightweight cpe) and it's already here. I think the full delta core is discontinued and the lightweight cpe is two months+ out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMHO an upgraded intercooler is the first way to go unless you go tuner, which you've already done. Especially if you're located in the south like me. I ordered a Steeda (rebranded lightweight cpe) and it's already here. I think the full delta core is discontinued and the lightweight cpe is two months+ out.

I think I'll be ordering the DepoRacing "Beast" IC. 5.5". Reason why is because I look to go big turbo in the future and I might as well get one that will suite my needs later on as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think I'll be ordering the DepoRacing "Beast" IC. 5.5". Reason why is because I look to go big turbo in the future and I might as well get one that will suite my needs later on as well.

Can't go wrong there. Depo is a pretty inexpensive core. I haven't really heard anything negative of them on here either, other than the wait times. The Beast is pretty massive and beautiful at the same time.

Sent from another

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you notice an increase in boost? Keeping power in longer?

No boost increase but power stays longer for sure due to the low charge temps stopping any negative corrections. When stock and 80*f or higher sometimes my car would rip, other times it would fall flat on its face. Now it's consistent no matter what and my charge temps are about ambient.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now upon ordering, I live in an apartment complex which highly watches out for any car work on their site. Won't be able to install here unfortunately, anyone live around the area code of 91763 that would be willing to install or know of a shop?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now upon ordering, I live in an apartment complex which highly watches out for any car work on their site. Won't be able to install here unfortunately, anyone live around the area code of 91763 that would be willing to install or know of a shop?

After some further reviewing and videos, I might just stick with the 3.5" reason cause a video I seen of an install, 3.5" barely cleared the front bracket with removal of the AGS and I don't want to have to do a bunch of removing, leaving parts of. If anyone has the 5.5" please message me on how your installment went. Any info on the DepoRacing 5.5" would be helpful

·
Registered
255 Posts
After some further reviewing and videos, I might just stick with the 3.5" reason cause a video I seen of an install, 3.5" barely cleared the front bracket with removal of the AGS and I don't want to have to do a bunch of removing, leaving parts of. If anyone has the 5.5" please message me on how your installment went. Any info on the DepoRacing 5.5" would be helpful

From what I understand, you'll need to remove the AGS before installing any fmic. Putting it back on is another question. But honestly, I see no reason to re install it.

Sent from another

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I understand, you'll need to remove the AGS before installing any fmic. Putting it back on is another question. But honestly, I see no reason to re install it.

Sent from another
I would plan on leaving it off. Do you know by any chance if a code would pop it in regards to that?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would plan on leaving it off. Do you know by any chance if a code would pop it in regards to that?

It shouldn't. I don't have mine currently, worst case if you're tuned, your programmer should be able to clear.

Sent from another

·
Registered
196 Posts

I believe it will if you disconnect the motor that runs the AGS. However, you can pop the motor out of the AGS shutters and zip tie it somewhere in the engine bay. I did this after installing my FSWerks FMIC and haven't had any issues.

For what its worth, I really like my FMIC. FSWerks has a great product and it was very easy to install. The only potential downside is that the top brackets (there are still two bottom brackets as well) mount to the plastic edges of the radiator. I haven't heard of any issues, but you never know with plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Mine is completely removed and disconnected with no CEL. I believe there will be a stored code though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts