Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking upgrade my intercooler from a stock to aftermarket to increase the performance of the car.

I am looking for an intercooler that will be direct replacement without mods.

What are your suggestions and recommendations? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,554 Posts
Most of the aftermarket intercoolers will require you to ditch the (stupid) active grill shutters, so no big loss there. The better mounting solutions have brackets which go through holes in the front crash bar (IMO) for a more solid mount. I have an ESP intercooler in mine which has been great, while others have had good luck with Woosh and Depo Racing.

FWIW, you won't "increase" the performance of the car with just an intercooler. You will, however, allow it to maintain cooler charge air temps as you go through the gears under boost. Prior to the intercooler on mine, I'd see charge temps go up 70 degrees or more on a 3rd gear pull. After, however, it would sometimes climb 3-5 degrees. The stock intercooler is just awful.

·
Registered
120 Posts
CPE Lightweight is a direct replacement using the same stock mounts and works wonderfully! Pretty much any aftermarket intercooler will be better than stock. Some mount to the crash bar which help push it forward a little bit to fill the void left by removing all the AGS and shrouds pretty nicely as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
CPE Lightweight is a direct replacement using the same stock mounts and works wonderfully! Pretty much any aftermarket intercooler will be better than stock. Some mount to the crash bar which help push it forward a little bit to fill the void left by removing all the AGS and shrouds pretty nicely as well.
I second this.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Every time someone says “intercooler” I will post this answer. The only answer, thanks be to our savior @Duece McCracken

Here's a good dose of "Daily Elitist Opinions" with your host, Duece McCracken.

Well, I like nice fullsize cores with proper facing endtanks that aren't tucked behind the crash bar like a fool designed it. None of the Universal core BS either, with 90 couples and additional crap.

I also prefer the factory mounting locations.

My picks for FMIC are CP-e as top dawg, Whoosh as best budget, and Depot as a disposable FMIC that a kid made. ESP doesnt look bad at all. Garrett is nice, but now you are getting close to CP-e money. Mishimoto has a 4.3" core, which is a great middle ground for a 3.5 versus a 5.5",.

The Mountune isn't a great design, FSwerks isn't a great setup, Depot is super rough fit and finish with ** hardware, Altitude Autoworks is just awkward and may have gone out of business, Cobb is over priced, CXR is ghetto, Levels has the bov flange but everything else about it I just don't like, Vortech is 1k dollar tiny piece of **, For some reason I just dislike Steeda, Process West is super dumb design, ATP fmic is a poor design/ nice core though, NPBoosted has airguides but seems super cheap, ETS has flimsy mounting tabs , DaVinci performance is some garage made crap for 450, Treadstone TR8 builds are very budget but too close to Depot/Whoosh prices.

That covers the FMIC off the top of my head.

·
Administrator
13,262 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
687 Posts
The new CVF intercooler looks promising.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
I always say to get a budget unit, or if you're not getting a budget unit to go CPE.

My woosh does beautifully, deuce's depo brought him to 430+WHP. Just get something that isn't mountune.

·
Registered
16’ st3
36 Posts
I am looking upgrade my intercooler from a stock to aftermarket to increase the performance of the car.

I am looking for an intercooler that will be direct replacement without mods.

What are your suggestions and recommendations? Thanks
i’ve had my depo 3.5” for some time now and i love it, not sure if they’re sold out ATM tho. no problem installing, affordable, and performs just as good as anything else. i’d see my charge temps go up only a few degrees after 2nd/3rd gear pulls.

·
Administrator
13,262 Posts
I always say to get a budget unit, or if you're not getting a budget unit to go CPE.

My woosh does beautifully, deuce's depo brought him to 430+WHP. Just get something that isn't mountune.
Would have brought me through all my goals, being 5.5".

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another couple of questions: Safe to assume these are all not allowed in California? And since I use my ST as a daily driver...no track use...just occasional strong accelerations getting on the freeways, or in passing...would adding an intercooler like Whoosh end up being something that wouldn't benefit me or my ST?

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,907 Posts
You should notice an intercooler with hard pulls getting on the freeway, because the stock FMIC often heat soaks after a few gears at WOT and the ECU is then pulling timing.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Another couple of questions: Safe to assume these are all not allowed in California? And since I use my ST as a daily driver...no track use...just occasional strong accelerations getting on the freeways, or in passing...would adding an intercooler like Whoosh end up being something that wouldn't benefit me or my ST?
You'll definitely notice the difference with the upgrade. Stock heatsoaks just puttering around town. It's reallyyy bad. F for Ford with that design.

Reactions: Anthony2816
1 - 20 of 38 Posts