Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way the Recaros feel on my ST2 for about the first 20 minutes, then my back starts hurting. Seems like there's not enough lumbar support, and there's no adjustment. Do the ST3 seats have lumbar adjustment?

I wonder if an upholstery shop could fix it for me?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nope, no lumbar support in ST3. Just electronic adjustments

42...That's always the answer.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The Recaros are not the same seats at all though... so even without a lumbar adjustment, they might still suit you better. You'd have to sit in them and drive for at least half an hour to know for sure though... ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Recaros are not the same seats at all though... so even without a lumbar adjustment, they might still suit you better. You'd have to sit in them and drive for at least half an hour to know for sure though... ;)
He has Recaros. In the US the ST3 gets full leather Recaros, ST2 has partial leather Recaros and ST1 has non Recaro Focus seats.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had this same problem for quite a while. Temporary relief would come with a slight decline back. But I ended up lowering my seat more than usual and readjusted the back from there. Now, no more pain. It was driving me mad for a while.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Upholstery might work, but no better and a lot cheaper is a small round tube pillow, that you can 1) manually adjust up or down, 2) remove

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
He has Recaros. In the US the ST3 gets full leather Recaros, ST2 has partial leather Recaros and ST1 has non Recaro Focus seats.
Sorry about that! I meant for leather Recaros of course! I've looked at pics of the ST2 seats and they don't look to be exactly the same shape. Maybe they are though and it's just an illusion because of the color being so much lighter on the side bolstering??? But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they feel different...

I had this same problem for quite a while. Temporary relief would come with a slight decline back. But I ended up lowering my seat more than usual and readjusted the back from there. Now, no more pain. It was driving me mad for a while.
You are quite right. Most people don't use a proper driving position... and that's the source of most back problems while driving. Recaro has a nice tutorial on seat adjustment on their website... well worth a look.

EDIT: Here's the interactive tutorial on Recaro's site. http://www.recaro-automotive.com/fileadmin/CONTENT_NEW_WEBSITE/animationen/technik_allgemein/sitzschule_100630_en.swf

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep having serious backpain issues with these ****ty seats! I have not found a way to adjust them properly to suit my needs and I keep sliding down to the back of the seat while the lumbar support is pushing into my back like hell. My temporary solution was this:

Now I have seen on the UK website that these guys have the adjustable lumbar support I might consider upgrading this. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I keep having serious backpain issues with these ****ty seats! I have not found a way to adjust them properly to suit my needs and I keep sliding down to the back of the seat while the lumbar support is pushing into my back like hell. My temporary solution was this:

Now I have seen on the UK website that these guys have the adjustable lumbar support I might consider upgrading this. Will keep you updated.
The Recaros on the ST are an incredibly Tight Fit....OK for the skinny little Europeans....But not OK for us Bigger Americans.....Ford must realize that a "World Size" seat is an impossible feat.......We need a wider recaro here with lateral adjustment and lumbar adjustable support.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also feel that the supporting brackets in the upholstery in the seat are too close together, so my upper legs and hips are squeezed. That is a rediculous seat! My weight is 175 lbs at 6ft 3".

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I am very comfortable in the Recaro seats. Sorry to hear they aren't for you.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Weird - I knew euro-spec foci had different e-brakes, but I didn't know the cup holder/ entire center console was different! That, and the US Recaro seats have a honeycomb pattern in the cloth where yours are just plain... so much for the "one Ford" mantra..

·
Registered
607 Posts
Weird - I knew euro-spec foci had different e-brakes, but I didn't know the cup holder/ entire center console was different! That, and the US Recaro seats have a honeycomb pattern in the cloth where yours are just plain... so much for the "one Ford" mantra..
There seems to be a difference between the ST3 and the ST2 in the E-brake and placement of the cup holders and power outlet.
The ST3 also has the Heated seats so the cup holders are side by side, the heat switches and power outlet are in front of the cup holders and the e-brake is moved forward to cover the small compartment the ST2 has that isn't in the ST3. There are some small differences in the center compartment as well. Seems you ST2'rs have a hole allowing a chord to be fed out of the compartment while the ST3 does not.
Not sure if future ST2's will go with the ST3 set up or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
5'9 150lbs. Perfect fit for me lol.
Hey Skinny...haha........You've got a European body.........Americans are not 5'9" and 150 lbs........The ST recaros Suck for 75% of us....We are just saying......LUMBAR SUPPORT and LATERAL ADJUSTMENT.........THEN AMERICA can be happy too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hey Skinny...haha........You've got a European body.........Americans are not 5'9" and 150 lbs........The ST recaros Suck for 75% of us....We are just saying......LUMBAR SUPPORT and LATERAL ADJUSTMENT.........THEN AMERICA can be happy too.
5'7" and 145lbs. I actually feel like the seats are a bit large at the torso... but they fit just fine with my winter jacket on. ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

I'd like to hear what you come up with. I'm about to take a 3500 mile trip and I'm thinking I just might have to take my other car unless I can make something work with a foam wedge or something.

I like the Euro seats and console much better. Not sure why they felt the need to dumb it down for us... probably a misguided marketing decision to differentiate the ST1, 2 and 3.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The reason the US version has different cup holders is that it can hold our 72 oz Diet Coke and then we can complain about why the Recaro's don't fit us. I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs and these seats are the most comfortable seat I've had in a car. My previous cars are Mustangs, Cobra, and M3.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Beats my mk4 gli Recaros and those had lumbar support. These seats conform to my body well and I have a terrible lower back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts