Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 ST3 is my first car with leather seats that I have owned. I have noticed that on the outer bolster seams the leather is starting to wear. Even more, I have noticed the sides of the bolsters are wearing faster than the other places you sit.

What have you all been doing to increase the useful lifespan of the Recaro Leather seats?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Using TriNova leather cleaner and conditioner. Also attempt to get in/out with as little scraping as possible. Up and over the bolsters

Reactions: BCE22

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Common place for wear because of the bad habit of rubbing it with your jeans as you get in. I've taught myself how to get in without hitting my head or rubbing the seat bolstering and I'm 6'1". That said, I use Meguire's rich leather clearer and conditioner and it's really recommended on here pretty often. Helps keep it conditioned so it resists wear or cracking/drying. Really though it will continue wearing if you continue rubbing on it, regardless of product used. :(

Edit: Fun (not really) story, I got into my car once and my shirt lifted up at the same time I stumbled slightly and I hit the bolstering with my holster at my 4o'clock. Now there is a scuff. I'm not amused about it lol

·
Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
Using TriNova leather cleaner and conditioner. Also attempt to get in/out with as little scraping as possible. Up and over the bolsters[/QUOT

Avoid rubbing against the weather strip on the "B" pillar when getting in also; it's not hard to replace, but costs $75.00. I torn the first one up pretty quickly by rubbing my left hip across it getting in. One more thing for tall people to remember when folding themselves in and out of the car.

Reactions: brian60 and BCE22

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just somehow magically jump perfectly into the seat while not hitting anything, nor landing too hard on a bolster. Simple!

Reactions: dan1101 and BCE22

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Using TriNova leather cleaner and conditioner. Also attempt to get in/out with as little scraping as possible. Up and over the bolsters[/QUOT

Avoid rubbing against the weather strip on the "B" pillar when getting in also; it's not hard to replace, but costs $75.00. I torn the first one up pretty quickly by rubbing my left hip across it getting in. One more thing for tall people to remember when folding themselves in and out of the car.
Just somehow magically jump perfectly into the seat while not hitting anything, nor landing too hard on a bolster. Simple!
It's truly an art. Us tall people take big cars for granted when we buy this awesome little car lol. Plus I sit close to the wheel surprisingly for my height which adds another obstacle. I can do it well now, I don't hit the door weather strips, the bolster (though I've accidentally landed on the family jewels a time or two on it), or the steering wheel then I fold my legs into position and I'm good to go lol

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gotta work on my technique!!!! Maybe I need to take yoga classes to help with body positioning!

Reactions: DigitalBaka

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I gotta work on my technique!!!! Maybe I need to take yoga classes to help with body positioning!
The girl I'm currently dating instructs Yoga...perhaps I'll document her positioning (she's 6 foot herself) and do a write-up for the forum? :lol:

I do a pivot and out. In is pretty simple.

Sent from another galaxy.
Yeah now that I've mastered it I hardly ever do it "wrong" lol

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like a plan Brian. Make sure you post it in the guides forum. Draw some pics for reference ;)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Sounds like a plan Brian. Make sure you post it in the guides forum. Draw some pics for reference ;)
LMAO for my sake and her own...I'll use stick figure drawings ;)

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMAO for my sake and her own...I'll use stick figure drawings ;)
And lots of arrows and wavy lines to simulate motion!!! All good!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah I'm a little concerned about my full leather Recaros. I'm only 2.5 months into my car and the outside bolster already has lots of crease lines. I think I not only hit it going in and out but I tend to lean my weight on that side of the seat in a car for some reason? haha maybe I need to work on my technique too!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yeah I'm a little concerned about my full leather Recaros. I'm only 2.5 months into my car and the outside bolster already has lots of crease lines. I think I not only hit it going in and out but I tend to lean my weight on that side of the seat in a car for some reason? haha maybe I need to work on my technique too!
Damn y'all must be really hard on them :lol: mine are almost just like they were when I got it...though recently I've been pushing off the left bolster (getting OUT of the car) with my hand to lift myself over it...and that's probably almost as bad as just hitting it with my rear

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh mine definitely have crease lines on the left bolster. I can live with that. However, I don't want it to wear thin at the seams.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had my seat cover replaced on my 13 ST3 under warranty for this same problem. I was vigilant on not rubbing against cover when getting in but still happened after about 20k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I ordered a Galco Miami Classic for my 1911.
While it is the most comfortable way to carry I've experienced, and super comfy while driving cars with regular seats....
holy cow you don't fit in the bolsters of the Recaros with a gun under one arm and two mags under the other.

I also try to get in and out as carefully as possible and use a Meguiar's Gold Class leather conditioner every couple of months.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I need to work on my technique.
I condition my seat every other month but its hard for me to get in and out correctly and keep a good seat position for driving

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah my left bolster has creases and generally not as firm as the right. It's how my leg rests and the fact that's the clutch side there is also additional force being placed down on the front part of the seat, causing a few creases.

Thankfully the bolsters aren't splitting or anything, but over time I was bummed they weren't perfect anymore. The previous owner must've been pretty damn small. I'm about 6' 206 so I don't "fit" the seat as ideally as I could.

I try to spin my way out.. rotate my ass on the seat and kind of push off the ground to avoid dragging weight over the bolster. Lol. Sad sight. But gotta do what ya gotta do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts