Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many people have had this problem, but here we go.

So 3 days ago a took my 2014 Focus St in for 2 recalls (16S30 and 16C13). When I arrived they told me that it would take roughly a day and they'd have the car for me, so I opted to get the rental and was on my merry way.

Well the next day at about 2 pm I received a call stating that the wouldn't be able to get the car back to me because the reprogramming of the BCM (Body Control Module) failed and they're waiting for a new BCM. I thought it was no big deal because I had a rental and I was still off (took a long weekend).

Yesterday I received a call, again around 2 pm, and they told me that they couldn't program the new BCM and couldn't even get it to communicate with the rest of the car. So now their waiting on Ford Engineering to get back with them to solve the issue?!?

Has anyone else had this issue before? Do I need to be concerned, because as far as I can understand I'm not getting my car back until Ford Engineering figures this out?

Reactions: 13 FOCUS ST2

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know if it was the same recall number, but I know I had mine in recently to cover reprogramming what I believe was the BCM. I checked my email history to find the health report, but I can't find it. Mine went through just fine and I had it back after work that day. I don't know if that should be encouraging to you (ie, it should be "easy" to fix) or if it means there's something worse going on for you.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

So 3 days ago a took my 2014 Focus St in for 2 recalls (16S30 and 16C13). When I arrived they told me that it would take roughly a day and they'd have the car for me, so I opted to get the rental and was on my merry way.

Well the next day at about 2 pm I received a call stating that the wouldn't be able to get the car back to me because the reprogramming of the BCM (Body Control Module) failed and they're waiting for a new BCM. I thought it was no big deal because I had a rental and I was still off (took a long weekend).

Yesterday I received a call, again around 2 pm, and they told me that they couldn't program the new BCM and couldn't even get it to communicate with the rest of the car. So now their waiting on Ford Engineering to get back with them to solve the issue?!?

Has anyone else had this issue before? Do I need to be concerned, because as far as I can understand I'm not getting my car back until Ford Engineering figures this out?
Since it's a '14, have them check that the Wire Harness recall has been preformed.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since it's a '14, have them check that the Wire Harness recall has been preformed.
Good Luck.
When you say wiring harness recall, are you talking about the 14S17 recall? I had that done sometime in the past and had no problems before or after the corrective action.

I will say that up until now, the car has performed flawlessly. I am concerned that since this was a CPO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The same thing happened to my '14 today. Dropped it off for the two recalls, the update for 16c13 failed, and the car is now bricked. It won't even start according to the service manager. Mine is a late year build so the wiring harness recall is not applicable. The car has been flawless up until now - no repairs, no warranty claims, not even an alignment or tire balance required at 25K miles. Ford appears to have a systemic problem with this recall and the ST. Hoping they get on top of this real fast.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The same thing happened to my '14 today. Dropped it off for the two recalls, the update for 16c13 failed, and the car is now bricked. It won't even start according to the service manager. Mine is a late year build so the wiring harness recall is not applicable. The car has been flawless up until now - no repairs, no warranty claims, not even an alignment or tire balance required at 25K miles. Ford appears to have a systemic problem with this recall and the ST. Hoping they get on top of this real fast.
I cannot believe Ford doesn't have a way to completely reflash the BCM after a failed update. I mean, it's like updating firmware. Is it possible the dealers are bricking the chip because of bad instructions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
For what it's worth... I own a late build 14. After the programming I had zero issues but something odd did happen. The clock display was far from the correct time nor would it seem to keep time. It wouldn't let me set the time either. About a week later it autogenically healed itself, only a few minutes off the correct time. Weird fo sho

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have the exact same experience going on right now with my 14. Dropped it off for inspection and figured wth let's just do the recalls while it's here...bricked the BCM and now have been driving around a deadly slow Focus Titanium with no end in sight as everyday it's a new story. Got a call the first day saying "hey could you drop your second set of keys off because we need to re-program them", call the second day saying "had to order a BCM". Today is day 3 we'll see what they come up with.

Reactions: 13 FOCUS ST2

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got hit with this issue yesterday. Took "Red" in for an oil change and requested to have any of the 2 recalls addressed. Got that sickening call from dealership at days end saying "we've run into a problem". Evidently there isn't any type of notice in their recall manuals regarding the issue. According to the dealership this has been known for about 10 days and there does not seem to be a fix at this point. They are supplying me with a loaner this evening. I'm guessing the Mustang GT on the showroom floor is not going to be the loaner.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I found my receipt from the repair. I did indeed get the BCM recall applied to my car, code 16C13. Fingers crossed, so far so good, and it's been over a month. I also had the side door latches replaced, code 16S30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the issue, 2015 focus and it's been gone for two weeks
It will be two weeks as of tomorrow. They got me a "rental loaner". Basically we went to enterprise and they gave me a Expedition, the gas and insurance is killing me.

Reactions: dayday5811

·
Registered
1 Posts

Oh man, this is too close to home, just had the same thing happen to me today, I dropped the car off this morning for a couple recalls and they called me saying the same things. They dont know how to fix it and don't know when they will have my car back to me... brutal, let me know if you get any word

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I called the dealership about a week ago and they told me that this was a known issue and that the issue is at the attention of the engineers. I was told last week that they would have it done by the beginning of this week. I think I might call Ford Customer Service. Not that it will do much. I just don't understand why Ford's software team can't reverse the change so that the BCM could be reprogrammed, then put a note in the system that it couldn't be resolved at the time. I just want to get out of this loaner. It's costing me way to much.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So I called the dealership about a week ago and they told me that this was a known issue and that the issue is at the attention of the engineers. I was told last week that they would have it done by the beginning of this week. I think I might call Ford Customer Service. Not that it will do much. I just don't understand why Ford's software team can't reverse the change so that the BCM could be reprogrammed, then put a note in the system that it couldn't be resolved at the time. I just want to get out of this loaner. It's costing me way to much.
Have you told the dealer the loaner isn't acceptable? An ST to an expedition is a huge difference and not a "like vehicle". I'm not sure why you would be paying extra in insurance either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you told the dealer the loaner isn't acceptable? An ST to an expedition is a huge difference and not a "like vehicle". I'm not sure why you would be paying extra in insurance either.
It would seem that he is paying the "optional" insurance on the rental. The optional insurance is that, optional. Your regular car insurance will cover you in a rental vehicle. I wouldn't complain with being offered rental that is far superior to my own car, but that's just me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I called Ford customer care and all they did was make my repair urgent at my dealer. At least calling them sets up a case number and gives the dealer something extra to work with. I guess it gives them a communication like with customer care?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts