Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Edit by Brian60 - More information regarding this topic can be found here: https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-discussions/151531-ford-announces-major-recall-purge-valve-defect.html

https://fox59.com/2018/10/25/engine-stalling-problem-prompts-ford-focus-recall-of-1-3-million-vehicles/

This is gonna effect a bunch of us:
Ford is recalling nearly 1.3 million Focus compact cars in the U.S. because a fuel system problem can cause the engines to stall without warning.

The recall covers cars from the 2012 through 2018 model years with 2-liter four-cylinder engines.

Ford says a valve in the fuel system can stick in the open position, causing too much vacuum, and an engine control computer may not detect the problem. Excessive vacuum can cause the gas tank to deform, as well as other problems.
You can enter your VIN here to check to see if you are one of the lucky ones. https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html
Sounds like any 2.0 naturally aspirated or ST. Ford suggests keeping half a tank of fuel in the car at all times to mitigate the risk of issues. Have fun with that!

This is what came up for my '13:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just about to start a thread, haha you beat me to it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1759870002

Ford FINALLY admits there is a problem, after I paid out-of-pocket to get it fixed

There is an updated part number for the purge valve in TSB 15-0034. Two dealers didn't want to touch a "modified car" so I did it myself out of frustration
that sucks a bunch, was yours one of the ones with the deform tank? Any warning signs ahead of time?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Was just about to start a thread, haha you beat me to it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1759870002

Ford FINALLY admits there is a problem, after I paid out-of-pocket to get it fixed

There is an updated part number for the purge valve in TSB 15-0034. Two dealers didn't want to touch a "modified car" so I did it myself out of frustration
I've got the recall as well after my car has been in the shop for a month for a stalling issue they could not figure out... But the recall does say that ford reimbursement will pay back out of pocket repairs for this so that might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the notice for my wife's 13 SE and my 17 ST....i get it with "both barrels" so to speak. :tongue:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My cars been at the shop for a while with a stalling issue I just spoke to the guys over there and they're ordering parts for this recall and programming the PCM he's aware of the tune but says they wont be going near the ECU. Fingers crossed its fixed tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
My cars been at the shop for a while with a stalling issue I just spoke to the guys over there and they're ordering parts for this recall and programming the PCM he's aware of the tune but says they wont be going near the ECU. Fingers crossed its fixed tomorrow.
This is the only recall thats come up for my car that I'd consider getting done but this exact concern might be what stops me from doing it. Im terrified they would touch the ECU and f-up my tune or the mods Ive done to the BCM.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Status 12 remedy not yet available.

Sooo I have to fill up every 100mi instead of the already abysmal 150mi. Great. Guess I'll start calling some local dealerships.

Edit: concerned customers...im not really concerned. I'll take that roadside and warranty if something does happen before they fix it...if they fix it. Currently they are just reprogramming the car and replacing defective equipment with equivalent parts.

Can you lemon law a car if they recall the defect but can't solve the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Not sure I want to tear out all my Stage 3 stuff and reinstall the OEM parts for this. Wonder how difficult it would be to do it myself?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not sure I want to tear out all my Stage 3 stuff and reinstall the OEM parts for this. Wonder how difficult it would be to do it myself?
It's an easy part swap, about $30 and half hour.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Guys---this is a recall, which is totally different from any warranty issues. No need to "remove" anything--this is government-issued, not Ford-issued, and therefore, cannot be denied by Ford regardless of your mods. I'd flash back to stock if you're tuned, but other than that, there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What kind of crap would they have to do with the CPU if it’s just a part being replaced?
They're only going to replace anything if you have defective parts, there is no fix. If you dont have symptoms it's just a reprogram for early alert. If you do have symptoms they're just going to replace your tank and valve with an equivalent.

I'm betting the reprogram triggers a CEL if the fuel usage doesn't correlate with the gas gauge. This would indicate a reduction in tank volume.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What kind of crap would they have to do with the CPU if it’s just a part being replaced?
The recall state:

DEALER TO HAVE THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) REPROGRAMMED WITH NEW SOFTWARE THAT WILL DETECT A MALFUNCTIONING CPV AND PREVENT A POTENTIAL EXCESSIVE FUEL VAPOR SYSTEM VACUUM CONDITION FROM OCCURRING.

·
Registered
350 Posts
guys---this is a recall, which is totally different from any warranty issues. No need to "remove" anything--this is government-issued, not ford-issued, and therefore, cannot be denied by ford regardless of your mods. I'd flash back to stock if you're tuned, but other than that, there's nothing to worry about.
exactly!

·
Registered
862 Posts
YEA I wondering what all the concern was for, and the people with tunes, just uninstall it, take it in let them do their thing, then when you get it back reinstall your tune. Now I am not saying you need to take parts off, as people have pointed out they are being government bound to this recall so aftermarket parts don't matter. I am saying uninstall your accessport so it doesn't mess with anything during their recal. Funny, lil over 22 years ago when I was 10 my family went down to Florida to see the rest of the family and go to disney world, my mom owned a brand new saturn sl2 and we made the whole way to the bay bridge in florida like an hour away from our destination and the inside shell of the gas tank crushed itself to the point where my dad ran out of gas but it said he still had like a 1/2 tank left. So needless to say got gas, and ended up having to refill it on the way home like every 175 miles and then Saturn replaced the tank when we got home, I can't remember what caused it, but its basically the same thing thats happening now, there is a jacket inside of the solid tanks, and if they don't have pressure relief they can suction the jacket up into a crimpled and crushed state. I really don't feel like dealing with this on my car, is into the 2018 models? Not worried about aftermarket parts or anything, I just don't like letting Ford techs drive my car.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts