Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume the proper procedure here will be to uninstall the tune, complete the software update recall, and then reinstall the tune. Anyone know if this will cause an issue when reinstalling the tune? in other words, will an update for the tune be required after this software update is complete?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah it's fine.
I uninstalled for 2 weeks (was suppose to be a week but rescheduled).
Drove around to charge battery.
Installed tune.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Would you have to uninstall the tune?

The software update for the hatch is for the BCM only, it has nothing to do with the PCM.

This recall does apply to my ST, but I am not going to get it done because if I am stupid enough to open my hatch when my car is going less than 4 MPH then I have to learn my lesson by getting out and shutting it. But if I did get it, I would just leave the PCM tune alone.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Would you have to uninstall the tune?

The software update for the hatch is for the BCM only, it has nothing to do with the PCM.

This recall does apply to my ST, but I am not going to get it done because if I am stupid enough to open my hatch when my car is going less than 4 MPH then I have to learn my lesson by getting out and shutting it. But if I did get it, I would just leave the PCM tune alone.
I think the only reason would be if you have a ****ty dealer who looks for trouble, otherwise I think you are right and leaving the tune wouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: tpiechow

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I had a previous BCM update done with my tune installed...no issues. Will not uninstall for this one as well.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm out of warranty anyway, so I'm not really worried about this.

It makes sense that this wouldn't affect the tune. Just my paranoid mind thinking Ford could throw a sneaky update or something in the software and screw up the AP from being installed.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I had some IPC warranty work done two years ago; at the time my dealer told me that the Ford software automagically does a scan of all firmware and shows all updates that are available, and that my dealer's policy is to install all available updates on the presumption that updates are provided for bug fixes in almost all cases, so why not give the customer a little love since the tech can just walk away from the car while the updates are in progress and do something else?

IOW, I'd remove a tune before getting the BCM flashed, just in case the dealer flashes everything available.

Mark

Reactions: EnchinsuOcha

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I had some IPC warranty work done two years ago; at the time my dealer told me that the Ford software automagically does a scan of all firmware and shows all updates that are available, and that my dealer's policy is to install all available updates on the presumption that updates are provided for bug fixes in almost all cases, so why not give the customer a little love since the tech can just walk away from the car while the updates are in progress and do something else?

IOW, I'd remove a tune before getting the BCM flashed, just in case the dealer flashes everything available.

Mark
This x100. Always fully uninstall before going to the dealer or you could lock your device out of the car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This x100. Always fully uninstall before going to the dealer or you could lock your device out of the car.
I got FRPP installed by the dealer (but going to another dealer for recall) so I just tell them I got the FRPP tune installed by another dealer and they should work around that or work with the FRPP tune right? (uninstall the tune and reinstall it etc) I am not sure how to uninstall it.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I got FRPP installed by the dealer (but going to another dealer for recall) so I just tell them I got the FRPP tune installed by another dealer and they should work around that or work with the FRPP tune right? (uninstall the tune and reinstall it etc) I am not sure how to uninstall it.
That I'm not 100% sure of. I wouldn't mess with it since IIRC the Ford dealer has to be the one to flash the car to keep their warranty?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts