Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Bilstein b8s , eibach pro kit springs, a tb performance front traction bar. I'm wanting to replace the rear sway bar. I hope to reduce body lean, and make the rear rotate more predictability. I've read everything I can find about this. Alot of the info i found pretained to stock suspension. I dont know how my upgrades would affect the characteristics of the rear sway. Im not sure how much stiffer I should go. Does anyone have a similar setup that could provide some feed back as to what bar they run, and how they like it? Thank you for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have Bilstein b8s , eibach pro kit springs, a tb performance front traction bar. I'm wanting to replace the rear sway bar. I hope to reduce body lean, and make the rear rotate more predictability. I've read everything I can find about this. Alot of the info i found pretained to stock suspension. I dont know how my upgrades would affect the characteristics of the rear sway. Im not sure how much stiffer I should go. Does anyone have a similar setup that could provide some feed back as to what bar they run, and how they like it? Thank you for the help.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-suspension/16716-sway-bars-endlinks-thread.html
You read this right? ^ A lot of good info in there.
To help fix the predictability I'd honestly go Strano...which is arguably the most liked one on here I believe. It was designed by Sam Strano who knows a thing or two about perfecting handling for national Autocross competition. Pretty trustworthy.
@UnfocusedST You're on Strano aren't you?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-suspension/16716-sway-bars-endlinks-thread.html
To help fix the predictability I'd honestly go Strano...which is arguably the most liked one on here I believe. It was designed by Sam Strano who knows a thing or two about perfecting handling for national Autocross competition. Pretty trustworthy.
Thanks for the response. Yes, I've read that thread. And the stranother is def. One of the bars I'm considering. My concern is that most of the people I read about were using it with stock suspension, ride height , etc. I'm uncertain if my setup requires a stiffer bar than that. Maybe my changes won't matter in bar choice. I'm no expert. That's why I come here, for good advise.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yes, I've read that thread. And the stranother is def. One of the bars I'm considering. My concern is that most of the people I read about were using it with stock suspension, ride height , etc. I'm uncertain if my setup requires a stiffer bar than that. Maybe my changes won't matter in bar choice. I'm no expert. That's why I come here, for good advise.
You will undoubtedly benefit from it with your current modifications. You would benefit even more than someone using stock setup actually. If you get it get some adjustable endlinks also. If I'm not mistaken in believing that UnfocusedST uses the Strano bar, he mated them with the Massive Endlinks and absolutely loves it. He also Autocrosses allllll the time and it performs excellently. You won't be disappointed at all. The Strano bar is definitely what I'm getting in the future when I tear into suspension. I've been waiting patiently.

Edit: Also, good choice going with b8's the only thing I would go with over that is Koni Yellows or the ones UnfocusedST and some others have. With those coils you will see great progress no matter which bar you choose, but I'm still sticking to your best bet being the Strano bar. It's perfect and adjustable. Don't like how stiff it is? Loosen it. Too loose and unstable? Tighten that bad boy down so you're on rails.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Heyyyy that's my car on the cover - woo woo. I have JBR btw

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
For what most people use the car for, including the GS prepped aka stock ST's, the strano bar is perfect. It really all depends on what you plan on doing with the car and what type of handling characteristics you are trying to achieve. I ran the strano bar for a little bit, and liked it as it did keep the rear end in check. I later switched back to the steeda rear bar, as I have come to realize that I really like having a loose rear end and that I am actually much faster with a tail happy FWD car. May or may not be the same case for you. Trial and error is the game you may have to play sometimes when fine tuning suspension, but one thing is for sure getting rid of the stock rear bar's inconsistency and bind associated with it is a good thing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is currently my daily. I don't autocross. I do enjoy the rear end sliding around turns. I know it's not the fastest way around a turn, but it sure is fun. I would like to be able to bring the rear out on command. But, I can't have it unpredictable like now, and I can't have it swing around unintentionally during normal driving in snow or rain. As of now, I'm leaning towards an adjustable bar with its stiffest setting some where close to the steeda one. Are any vendors having a labor day discount? If I can find a deal, I'd like to order this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
For what most people use the car for, including the GS prepped aka stock ST's, the strano bar is perfect. It really all depends on what you plan on doing with the car and what type of handling characteristics you are trying to achieve. I ran the strano bar for a little bit, and liked it as it did keep the rear end in check. I later switched back to the steeda rear bar, as I have come to realize that I really like having a loose rear end and that I am actually much faster with a tail happy FWD car. May or may not be the same case for you. Trial and error is the game you may have to play sometimes when fine tuning suspension, but one thing is for sure getting rid of the stock rear bar's inconsistency and bind associated with it is a good thing.
The car is currently my daily. I don't autocross. I do enjoy the rear end sliding around turns. I know it's not the fastest way around a turn, but it sure is fun. I would like to be able to bring the rear out on command. But, I can't have it unpredictable like now, and I can't have it swing around unintentionally during normal driving in snow or rain. As of now, I'm leaning towards an adjustable bar with its stiffest setting some where close to the steeda one. Are any vendors having a labor day discount? If I can find a deal, I'd like to order this weekend.
Yeah the stock setup being intentionally binded by Ford means it's unpredictable. I would hit A turn the same speed as identical B turn and would spin in B turn. Then the next time it'll be solid and fine. It's way too unpredictable and the threshold is so slim it's not even possible to tell what is too much until you feel the car suddenly step way out. I hate that.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Steeda has a labor day sale this weekend. I think I'm going to order their bar. I have to start somewhere.Anything is better than oem. If I decide it's to stiff I will list it in the for sale section and try something else. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Steeda has a labor day sale this weekend. I think I'm going to order their bar. I have to start somewhere.Anything is better than oem. If I decide it's to stiff I will list it in the for sale section and try something else. Thanks for the help guys.
A lot of places will have Labor Day sales, so get something you really want. The Steeda is really stiff @70% over oem and has only one setting. I'd at least recommend an adjustable bar, but it all depends on how much oversteer you want. I'm not the best driver in the world, frankly, so I want my butt-end to stay planted and not break loose until I really whip the car. The stiffer the bar, the easier the back end will break loose and cause oversteer. If that's your driving style, that's good. It's not mine. The Strano is very popular and it's 3 settings are about ~0%, ~25%, ~50% over oem, based on Sam describing his bar in another thread. The Suspension Techniques or "ST Suspension" bar has 2 settings at 30% and 50%, I have this one and use it at 30%. The Cobb and Eibachs were 50% and 90% if I recall, and JBR was exceptionally stiff, I don't think their website is correct, I believe it's actual stiffness was stated in a forum and their website wasn't updated. It was really stiff. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of places will have Labor Day sales, so get something you really want. The Steeda is really stiff @70% over oem and has only one setting. I'd at least recommend an adjustable bar, but it all depends on how much oversteer you want. I'm not the best driver in the world, frankly, so I want my butt-end to stay planted and not break loose until I really whip the car. The stiffer the bar, the easier the back end will break loose and cause oversteer. If that's your driving style, that's good. It's not mine. The Strano is very popular and it's 3 settings are about ~0%, ~25%, ~50% over oem, based on Sam describing his bar in another thread. The Suspension Techniques or "ST Suspension" bar has 2 settings at 30% and 50%, I have this one and use it at 30%. The Cobb and Eibachs were 50% and 90% if I recall, and JBR was exceptionally stiff, I don't think their website is correct, I believe it's actual stiffness was stated in a forum and their website wasn't updated. It was really stiff. Hope that helps!
The lift off over steer and the razor sharp turn in, are the two main reason I picked the st over another wrx (third being no hatch currently offered). So, I enjoy the rotation. I just don't want to go to far and make it unsafe. It's still my daily for awhile. So it needs to stay inline during normal driving in snow/rain. I placed the order for the Steeda bar. I can update as to how I like it with my current setup if anyone is interested to hear my feedback.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...-and-Handling-Part-3-Balance-the-chassis.aspx.

Put it simply, look at all the pictures of our cars at Max handling. Which tire is coming off the ground. The rear inside tire is the one. On a front-wheel drive vehicle if you are interested in improving the handling, it is better to run a rear sway bar that has a higher capacity rating than the front bar. Different manufacturers use slightly different materials and different thicknesses of tubing to achieve their torsional ratings. That is why bar 1 may be smaller than bar 2 but perform essentially the same. That being said, the factory of adjustable end link attachment points affects the leverage being exerted on the link. It's a matter of balance and how much force needs to be applied. A larger front bar may feel better, but will eventually push over into an understeer condition if not balanced out with a greater (stiffer) rear bar. Eibach, JBR, White line, to name a few, make great setups. If you want the best handling, you have to match everything and balance the load. What you see in most picture of our cars with to be unnamed sway-bars setups, is that most are out of balance allowing the rear inside tire to rise and push unnecessarily hard on the rear outside. This leads to our lovely Ford designed suspension pinch an inch binding and pop you are out of control and off your course. You could have the biggest baddest front bar in the world and it wouldn't put you first place. Read, research, balance . Bigger rear is 95%of the time the better choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts