Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, first of all I have been able to remedy the issue temporarily with penetrating oil, but doesn't last long.
Was considering lithium grease but requires more effort to get all the way under car.

Has anyone had the issue of the rear suspension creak/squeak at low speed going over bumps? sometimes at high speed?

Rear suspension mods are COBB rear anti-sway bar (on stiffest setting) and the FSWerks upper stress bar.

It's been driving me nuts and getting worse over time.

The highway I drive on every day has a real crappy bridge transition (two actually) where it goes from asphalt to concrete over the bridge. It WAS a somewhat gentle bump, moderately loading the suspension going over then un-loading it. Fast enough and you could probably get zero load. A few days ago they ground down the asphalt and the transition was, well, the worst I've ever driven over (may have bent wheel, not sure until I measure).

Anyway, over the course of a year or so I have noticed the creaking getting worse.

I have a feeling it's the rear spring insulators (top and or bottom, components 7 and 8)

isolators.png

drive thru car wash and it goes away for 10 miles or so. spraying oil and it goes away longer.

My questions:
- Has anyone had the same issue and replaced the insulator pads? Did the issue go away?
- How much of a pain was it? Being suspension I'm sure it requires torque to yield bolts and pre-loading the suspension to re-install.

Tempted to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix, then possibly sending the bill to ODOT for reimbursement along with wheel straightening if needed.

A co-worker of mine with a Fiat Abarth said he hit his head on the roof of his car going over the transition and thinks it knocked the engine out of alignment on the mounts (belts squealed for a day until it re-positioned over time)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alright, first of all I have been able to remedy the issue temporarily with penetrating oil, but doesn't last long.
Was considering lithium grease but requires more effort to get all the way under car.

Has anyone had the issue of the rear suspension creak/squeak at low speed going over bumps? sometimes at high speed?

Rear suspension mods are COBB rear anti-sway bar (on stiffest setting) and the FSWerks upper stress bar.

The highway I drive on every day has a real crappy bridge transition (two actually) where it goes from asphalt to concrete over the bridge. It WAS a somewhat gentle bump, moderately loading the suspension going over then un-loading it. Fast enough and you could probably get zero load. A few days ago they ground down the asphalt and the transition was, well, the worst I've ever driven over (may have bent wheel, not sure until I measure).

Anyway, over the course of a year or so I have noticed the creaking getting worse.

I have a feeling it's the rear spring insulators (top and or bottom, components 7 and 8)

View attachment 359631

drive thru car wash and it goes away for 10 miles or so. spraying oil and it goes away longer.

My questions:
- Has anyone had the same issue and replaced the insulator pads? Did the issue go away?
- How much of a pain was it? Being suspension I'm sure it requires torque to yield bolts and pre-loading the suspension to re-install.

Tempted to take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix, then possibly sending the bill to ODOT for reimbursement along with wheel straightening if needed.

A co-worker of mine with a Fiat Abarth said he hit his head on the roof of his car going over the transition and thinks it knocked the engine out of alignment on the mounts (belts squealed for a day until it re-positioned over time)
I would make sure the springs are properly seated. I installed the H&R springs on my FoST and never had an issue. But on the front it did the same thing as yours. Just had to adjust the spring and all the noise went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts

View attachment 359631

My questions:

I am running an aftermarket rear sway bar and have the same exact issues with noise. I am pretty sure it's the anti squeak pads you mentioned. I have sprayed with wd40 and it goes away for a day. I'll be changing suspensions, so I'll just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am running an aftermarket rear sway bar and have the same exact issues with noise. I am pretty sure it's the anti squeak pads you mentioned. I have sprayed with wd40 and it goes away for a day. I'll be changing suspensions, so I'll just replace them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You should take the bar back out and grease it between the bushing. I went a step further and even did between the mount and bushing. So when it does move it doesn’t make a sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Rcooper5
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing