Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home the other day through San Francisco, which has horribly cracked and potholed streets, and my car developed a new clunk.

I recently lowered my car on the pre-order YCW suspension, which is great, but insane stiff.

This clunk over the past day has gotten a bit worse. It sounds like the exhaust is loose and banging around, but I shook the exhaust well and it didnt make the noise.

The shock body seems fine when I look at it and give it some tugs with little to no movement.

Everything feels tight when I lift the wheel off the ground and give it some shakes.

Is there a culprit that comes to mind for anyone? Its pretty loud. And happens on nearly all bumps.

I took the spare out to make sure nothing was shaking in there.

Thanks for any help. I dont have an appointment but Im going to see if any shops can do a drop in tomorrow morning.

·
Administrator
11,868 Posts
I was driving home the other day through San Francisco, which has horribly cracked and potholed streets, and my car developed a new clunk.

I recently lowered my car on the pre-order YCW suspension, which is great, but insane stiff.

This clunk over the past day has gotten a bit worse. It sounds like the exhaust is loose and banging around, but I shook the exhaust well and it didnt make the noise.

The shock body seems fine when I look at it and give it some tugs with little to no movement.

Everything feels tight when I lift the wheel off the ground and give it some shakes.

Is there a culprit that comes to mind for anyone? Its pretty loud. And happens on nearly all bumps.

I took the spare out to make sure nothing was shaking in there.

Thanks for any help. I dont have an appointment but Im going to see if any shops can do a drop in tomorrow morning.

Check your rear sway bar endlinks.

Check your rear shock mounts.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Do you know the torque spec for those? Or should I just crank them down?
That would be in your manual and I can't personally give an answer for it off my head, however he also mentioned checking your shock mounts. This literally just happened to me last week:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-suspension/114329-2014-broken-strut.html

Definitely check them on both sides of your car. I check mine by taking out my phone, turning on the flash and turning on record then just putting the phone down there to look at both sides. Sure enough they snapped. Just replaced the mount yesterday in about 18 minutes. Total cost: $18.70 ($9 was shipping lol)

·
Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
I had a noise that I could have sworn was coming from the back and it turned out to be the passenger side front strut bearing. If the back seats were upright it sounded like it was coming from the back; I figured out it was coming from the front when driving home from Lowes one morning with the seats down.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I had a noise that I could have sworn was coming from the back and it turned out to be the passenger side front strut bearing. If the back seats were upright it sounded like it was coming from the back; I figured out it was coming from the front when driving home from Lowes one morning with the seats down.
The seat mounts in the rear (the mount that the seat pivots from when you fold it down) commonly breaks also, so @Ibepaintin check those also just in case. ddfred reminded me of that just now. Fold down the seats to check and make sure you know for sure where the sound is. Maybe get someone else to drive while you sit back there and listen?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I feel foolish. It was indeed the most simple solution, tighten the shock bolt.

I appreciate the help! And in this process I certainly by first hand saw points of vibration and learned of others to watch out for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts