Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just want to thank Lead_foot - Mike for making me a set of rear bumper reflector lights that act as both running lights and break lights. Sent him my reflectors and he carefully put LED strips in them. Did a very good and clean job. If anybody wants some done I highly recommend contacting him. He will even send you detailed instructions and wiring diagrams. Thank you so much to Mike. 20170918_201008.jpg 20170918_200900.jpg 20170918_185635.jpg 20170918_185609.jpg 20170918_185606.jpg 20170918_183418.jpg

Reactions: Griiswold

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That wire splice connection is one I've never seen before. Do you have more pictures of it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
That wire splice connection is one I've never seen before. Do you have more pictures of it?

It is a quick splice.

Glad you are happy with them Mike. Definitely not something you see on many FoSTs.

Reactions: Mfarrell228

·
Registered
395 Posts
Does it chop the wires or just break through the insulation?

Goes through the insulation. they work well for low power draw accessories or just getting a signal

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
those do look awesome, I have been wanting to add some LEDs for extra brake lights as you can never really have enough with how little people pay attention.

Does it chop the wires or just break through the insulation?
if you don't use the correct size for the wire that you are tapping into. yes, they will chop some of the wire strands and weaken the wire, also I never recommend using these in an external application (or really in any application), as they will let moisture into the connection and allow the wire and the connection to corrode much faster than if they were used in an internal application.

anytime you received these with any accessory, you really should install them directly into the trash can. your best bet for a lifetime of reliability would be to strip back the insulation, and wrap the new wire into the exposed existing wire (and soldering would be preferred, especially in an external application) and then covered back up with a good high quality electrical tape (like Super 33).

·
Registered
395 Posts
those do look awesome, I have been wanting to add some LEDs for extra brake lights as you can never really have enough with how little people pay attention.

if you don't use the correct size for the wire that you are tapping into. yes, they will chop some of the wire strands and weaken the wire, also I never recommend using these in an external application (or really in any application), as they will let moisture into the connection and allow the wire and the connection to corrode much faster than if they were used in an internal application.

anytime you received these with any accessory, you really should install them directly into the trash can. your best bet for a lifetime of reliability would be to strip back the insulation, and wrap the new wire into the exposed existing wire (and soldering would be preferred, especially in an external application) and then covered back up with a good high quality electrical tape (like Super 33).

Let me know if you want a set.

I've been using similar taps in interior and exterior applications for close to a decade. I have not once had an issue with corrosion. That may have something to do with being away from any kind of snow/salted roads.
I agree, the best option would be to strip some of the insulation back and soldering the new wire to that and heat shrinking or wrapping in electrical tape. I also know that not everyone has that ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts