Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is in Quebec.

Only 5 weeks after getting my new 2017 ST in shadow black, I was the victim of a hit n run. Downtown parking spot, some stupid asshole scraped the back corner of my bumper when parallel parking. Only two bumper clips popped out, and the damage looks aesthetic only.

Anyway so I called my Ford dealer and I explained what happened (and how it was only aesthetic) and Ford was like "yeah we'll still need to send it to the collision center". And he said that they need to send the new bumper to get painted because Ford sells them unpainted. I feel like he wants to make it seems like a big expensive process to change a bumper.

So my question is... can I just tell Ford to buy a new bumper, get it painted, and install it without any of this extra collision hassle? The car drives exactly how it did before it was scraped. And how much should all this cost, approximately? The guy didn't even want to ballpark a price for me and instead was like "I'll really need to speak with the collision center". Like dude wtf it's a bumper with a scrape.

All I want is an OEM paint matched replacement.

IMG_20171111_232915.jpg IMG_20171111_232920.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
You have insurance? Use it.
It is going to cost you C$2,000 here. This is not C$50 event.
The C$50 version is buying a can of bondo yourself. And some sand paper, and a can of spraypaint.
The C$2,000 dealer collision center version is removing bumper cover. checking the underlying structure,
replacing the bumper support C$600 plus labor, replacing the bumper C$1,200. plus labor Painting the bumper C$350
(and make certain they use a OEM bumper, and not some cheap Chinese fake to please the insurance company bottom line)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have insurance? Use it.
It is going to cost you C$2,000 here. This is not C$50 event.
The C$50 version is buying a can of bondo yourself. And some sand paper, and a can of spraypaint.
The C$2,000 dealer collision center version is removing bumper cover. checking the underlying structure,
replacing the bumper support C$600 plus labor, replacing the bumper C$1,200. plus labor Painting the bumper C$350
(and make certain they use a OEM bumper, and not some cheap Chinese fake to please the insurance company bottom line)
I don't think I need to involve the collision center at all though. It's just a little scrape. What'd I want to pay is the cost of buying the OEM replacement, and the cost of getting it painted (I'm guessing like $800 or so maybe...?), plus the 15 minutes it takes to unclip the old bumper and clip on the new bumper. Can Ford do that or are they required to go through the collision center?

I've removed the front bumper on my old car many times. So I was under the impression that it would be a really simple job. For $2000 though I would definitely involve insurance but I can't see how that kind of price is necessary for a scrape.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They are not going to replace that bumper. 9 times out of 10 the insurance will write that to repair. Which it looks like would just need to be sanded down, from the pics and you saying it’s just a scrape. It’s much cheaper for them to do that than it is replacing. And the insurance companies don’t care about you. they just want to save a buck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine was all replaced in my hit and run. Bumper cover, lower valence, reflector, bumper bracket & quarter vent. $2200 in damage.

I know yours isn’t as bad, doesn’t look like you will have any damage under the cover.

I don’t see why you couldn’t get the bumper cover on your own then just take it to a shop to have them paint, do the labor yourself. You could order it from an online OE parts supplier.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

It’s a ****ty feeling when someone wrecks your stuff & takes off. Good luck getting it resolved.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
if you want to just go in and order a new bumper. then you can either pay their body shop to paint it, or take it to a good paint shop and have it painted to the right color code. then you can pick up the bumper from where ever it was painted at and then put it on yourself.

part of why they want to send it to their collision center is because that is where they do the painting. the guy at the dealer wouldn't likely know how much it would cost because of the fact that they don't do that work there at all. mechanical work gets done at the vehicle service center, body work no matter how minor gets does at their collision center. the other reason they want it to get there is to see it in person so that they can make sure that there is no other damage that cant be seen from just looking at it on the outside (while not saying that this will be your case, but it does happen, a lot)

also as mentioned, Tasca is a great place to get parts from and are often cheaper than ordering it through your local dealer, you will be getting OEM parts as they are also a dealer. I've also gotten my local dealer to match their price on a cheaper part that I needed right away by showing them their price (and really if one dealer can sell it for that price, all dealers should...)

So I was under the impression that it would be a really simple job. For $2000 though I would definitely involve insurance but I can't see how that kind of price is necessary for a scrape.
OEM parts are not cheap, also the techs at most dealers are paid well and do a great job, and it does take time and that time is not cheap at an hourly rate. its one thing for a robot to paint 200 bumpers each day on a line that is made to paint bumpers as quickly and efficiently as possible, but when its a one at a time thing, even with a primed bumper, there is still a process to make sure its done right and look good without being noticeable that work was done. hell when I had to have a bumper painted for one of my Lincolns, the labor for the paint job alone was $600 (this was with a tri-coat w/ pearl, of course this shouldn't be the case with a normal focus color)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thats what happens in quebeckiztan :\. Saw your thread on Montrealracing, you can 100% do it for less, but it will take more work on your end. Is your time worth it? Also do you have first claim waiver on your insurance? if you do and your deductible isnt too bad, go that way.

In montreal people dont respect cars, I used to live in CDN and my car got hammered day in and day out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Calling the dealer isn't going to do you much good, they are going to tell you to use the collision center. Service is for vehicle service and repairs, collision is for anything related to body or paint. They should do a free estimate and it should be much cheaper than buying a bumper and having it painted. The damage could also be worse than you think and insurance may need to come into play. I had a truck roll into the back of my ST 2 months ago and what looked like to me 2 quarter sized scrapes and a 2 inch dent turned out to be over 3 grand in damage. What collision center caught that i didn't until they pointed it out was a crease in my rear hatch that required repair, the cushion behind the bumper was damaged too.

Just saying at least go see them and let them look at it and determine the best option from there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
similar damage repaired at dealer 'collision center' (as mentioned, if it is paint it goes to the CC)

$1130.50

and I have the TS 3 stage paint ....

any decent body shop can do this repair ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts