Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the 2-3 inches of snow here yesterday i was backing into my parking spot that is a little bit sloped downhill. As i tried to stop, i slid a couple inches into a railroad tie. There is no cosmetic damage to my bumper (no scratches or dents), but the drivers side near the wheel well is now sticking out about a quarter inch. I have tried pressing it back into place and it sounds like it is clipping back on, but then pops right back out.

Any suggestions on how to get it to go back in. Its not a huge issue but it really bothers me.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
So after the 2-3 inches of snow here yesterday i was backing into my parking spot that is a little bit sloped downhill. As i tried to stop, i slid a couple inches into a railroad tie. There is no cosmetic damage to my bumper (no scratches or dents), but the drivers side near the wheel well is now sticking out about a quarter inch. I have tried pressing it back into place and it sounds like it is clipping back on, but then pops right back out.

Any suggestions on how to get it to go back in. Its not a huge issue but it really bothers me.
Cold plastic is not very cooperative; try warming it up, popping it back into place and hold it there as it cools. Use heating device of your own choosing; heat gun on low, blow dryer on high, oxy-acetylene torch (poor choice) etc...It may have broken the tab that holds it in place though.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
JB weld plastic stuff and some home engineering may be in order :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JB weld plastic stuff and some home engineering may be in order :D
I would inspect the plastic pieces to make sure nothing tore.
Cold plastic is not very cooperative; try warming it up, popping it back into place and hold it there as it cools. Use heating device of your own choosing; heat gun on low, blow dryer on high, oxy-acetylene torch (poor choice) etc...It may have broken the tab that holds it in place though.
Im guessing it is a broken tab, it definitely sounds like it. It sounds like the tab pops in and back out immediately. I will look into more after work, ill try the heat gun method first. If that fails ill throw some zipties and JB weld at it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FIXED IT!!!

A little heat with the heat gun and some "persuasion" put it right back in place.

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
Im guessing it is a broken tab, it definitely sounds like it. It sounds like the tab pops in and back out immediately. I will look into more after work, ill try the heat gun method first. If that fails ill throw some zipties and JB weld at it.
May want to contact the owner of this car for a "how to".
duct-tape-car-repair.jpg

Edit: looks like you beat me to the fix!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May want to contact the owner of this car for a "how to".
View attachment 189353

Edit: looks like you beat me to the fix!
Nooo, duct tape isn't very permanent. Zipties would've been the second choice, I kinda like the look of some "drift stitchin".
VicDrift-Round-1-2015-Pits-Black-bumper-zip-tie-stitching-1.jpg

Reactions: ddfred
1 - 10 of 10 Posts