Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing rear brakes on my ST today. Ran into an issue. The end link is in the way of the bottom caliper pin. None of my tools will fit in there to get it out. I can use an Allen key to a point but once it's screwed partially out the Allen key gets jammed and I can't remove it. Any tips that doesn't involve having to put everything away and go buy another tool? I have looked for how-to's but it's all either ST front brakes or generic focus rear brakes that don't have this part in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
You're on the right track dude; it just takes an allen key that's short enough. Trying to recall, but I think I flipped my allen around the other way and used the long end at an angle until it was out far enough to grab it by fingers. Slow process, but worked.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've just about got the pin out I've been working at it for a while turning it a sixteenth of a turn at a time. But I just had the realization that I am planning to replace my rotors because they're badly grooved. This means I need to remove my caliper bracket but I can't get to the bolts to unbolt it because the e-brake cable is in the way. I'm having trouble finding anything regarding how to remove the E-brake on this car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You're on the right track dude; it just takes an allen key that's short enough. Trying to recall, but I think I flipped my allen around the other way and used the long end at an angle until it was out far enough to grab it by fingers. Slow process, but worked.
I have a '16 FoST, so not sure if your model year is significantly different, but you shouldn't have to do anything with the e-brake to remove the rotors. Unbolt the caliper, remove from rotor. You may need to use a rubber mallet to hit the rotor to get it to release from the hub (make sure the e-brake is off before trying to remove anything on rear!!!). Once you have the rotor off, replace with new and re-install caliper.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@JibbersCrabst: as mentioned before you will be able to remove that screw if you use the right tool. I bought a long T-formed allen key and had to saw it to correct length before it worked. Once the screw is loose you can switch to an allen key with a ball on one side, that makes it easier. Also, the position of the swaybar changes a bit depending on how you lift the car. There´s a chance you have a little more room in a different height or lifting both sides at the same time. That spring you wanted to remove: do not touch it! There´s no need to take it away, you would have a bad time trying to get it back on. If your plan is to remove the caliper completely from the car (what is not neccessary just for changing pads and disc) you just have to take out that hand brake wire after you took out the other 2 screws holding the brake cylinder part to have the complete caliper in hand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I did manage to get the job done. Taking off the e-brake cable made the job a bit easier since I was replacing the rotors too (I just removed the spring in my last post and it came off no problem) and I managed to work through the space constraints on that lower caliper pin. Probably would have helped to unbolt the sway bar from the end links but it worked out. Surprised nobody has done a write up on rear brakes for our cars on here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.