Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I planned to replace my rear brake pads and rotors (I did the fronts myself just fine). When attempting to take off the old rear rotor I couldn't get it off due to it being welded on with rust. No big deal, I could always just get a shop to do it or something...

The problem is, when I tried to put the bracket that holds the caliper back on, the top bolt sheared off and broke when tightening! Do you guys think it's safe to slowly limp to the shop, which is less than a mile away, with that single compromised rear-right bracket bolt? The problem caliper still seems to be held in there very tightly with the other bolt and the half-broken bolt - the other three brakes are all ok... Will this short trip destroy my car?

The bolt that broke is in step two of the attached image. It's the top bolt highlighted in purple.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
You'll be alright limping it over there man. Our cars are biased much more towards the front calipers — I wouldn't be too concerned if you're just gonna slide over to the shop through the back roads and not be doing any nutty braking.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, you'll get it worked out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
422 Posts
How did the bolt break? Are you able to remove the caliper if you remove the other bolt or is too much of the old bolt preventing that? If you pivot the caliper up enough can you slide it off the broken bolt?

If you can, do that then get some channel locks and grab what's sticking out and gradually pull it out, should be too hard now that the head is gone. We're you using foot pounds or Newton meters on your wrench when it broke? If it was torqued properly I would look at replacing all your brake caliper/bracket bolts as they shouldn't be snapping like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did the bolt break? Are you able to remove the caliper if you remove the other bolt or is too much of the old bolt preventing that? If you pivot the caliper up enough can you slide it off the broken bolt?

If you can, do that then get some channel locks and grab what's sticking out and gradually pull it out, should be too hard now that the head is gone. We're you using foot pounds or Newton meters on your wrench when it broke? If it was torqued properly I would look at replacing all your brake caliper/bracket bolts as they shouldn't be snapping like that.
I had a bit of a brain-dead moment when setting my torque wrench, I wasn't paying attention and set it for 70 ft lbs, not 70 nm - plus I don't think those bolts have been changed on my ST since I got it back in '15, they looked pretty corroded. In terms of grabbing anything and trying to pull it out, I don't think that's an option and it will most likely need to be drilled out or something.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
sounds like a good time to do the frankenbrake upgrade!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts