Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Really need help. What do I do?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dakman 
#1 ·
Ok, so Im trying to put coilovers on my 2016 ST. I cant even remove my stock shocks cause: I get to the sway bar end link front side and for the life of me i have no clue how to remove it/the bracket. None of my wrenches will fit into that tiny space, and to top it off, I stripped the allen slot. What the heck do I do?

#2 ·
If no impact gun is available, you'll need a socket and wrench for that part (top attachement point of the front endlink). I found that the removal did not really need the allen/hex to get it off, so hopefully you can try to mimic an impact with short hard turns to break the bolt loose. I tried a socked with a vice grip so I could put the allen key through the socket hole while tightening back on. Since the allen is stripped, I hope you have new end links because you're probably going to tear the boot (grease seal) on the one that is stripped.

#3 ·
Thank you. How would I use the wrench to remove the top nut and bolt? I engage the 15mm socket onto the nut, but on the back side everything is round (I dont feel the bolt or anything, its just plastic covering and some washers) so it doesnt seem as if theres anywhere for the wrench to grip on to.

#4 ·
I swear it's too late or something, but my brain is not working right... I think there are 2 flat spots on the stock endlink, on the opposite side from the nut, where you can get a wrench on.

Just FYI, a replacement end link should be ~$30. Not the end of the world, but hopefully you can get this one off without having to do too much damage.

Other options that are less favorable: -cut a slot down the middle of the bolt so you can get a flat head in there (destroys the endlink). -Vice grips (always messes something up). -using something (hand, clamp, whatever) to pull the end link hard against the swaybar hole so it creates a binding effect to hold the bolt in place (this will also cause additional bite on the nut until you can crack it loose).

I hope something in there can help. Sorry to hear it's a rough install.

#5 ·
I swear it's too late or something, but my brain is not working right... I think there are 2 flat spots on the stock endlink, on the opposite side from the nut, where you can get a wrench on.

Just FYI, a replacement end link should be ~$30. Not the end of the world, but hopefully you can get this one off without having to do too much damage.

Other options that are less favorable: -cut a slot down the middle of the bolt so you can get a flat head in there (destroys the endlink). -Vice grips (always messes something up). -using something (hand, clamp, whatever) to pull the end link hard against the swaybar hole so it creates a binding effect to hold the bolt in place (this will also cause additional bite on the nut until you can crack it loose).

I hope something in there can help. Sorry to hear it's a rough install.

I touched the side opposite the nut and for the life of me, could not find any flat spots for a wrench to grip onto. Ill have to check again tomorrow morning.

I have new end links so Im not worried about destroying these ones. The suggestion about using a flat head still doesnt solve the problem of not being able to fit a wrench in that space or use a socket to hold the nut as the bolt is unscrewed.

If all else fails, Ill have to visit home depot to ‘borrow’ an impact wrench (use then return, as my funds are tied up so I cant purchase it to keep atm). Hopefully the shock from it will shake that nut loose.

Thanks for the help brother. Hopefully I can get it done.

#8 ·
I used a spark plug socket to get it off. You can put the Allen wrench thru the socket and hold the socket with a wrench.

#9 ·
Sorry man, I waited like 20 minutes last night but didn't see your reply for some reason (even though I posted after your reply!) & had to get to sleep... Dakman's solution would have been perfect for me when I did it, but since you said you stripped the hex bolt I don't think it will help much. Sttwoton is on track with where your options are if you can't get an impact to just knock it loose while binding the bolt so it doesn't spin.

Another good bit of info from ddfred about the design change of the endlinks for the newer models... I had used some needlenose vice grips on the rear of the bolt back on my old Subaru links, and it tore up the little grease boot & clip but it got them off.

I'm not sure if PB Blaster (or other penetrating oil) would be helpful or not. It would help to remove the nut, but may also help to cause the bolt to spin which would basically cancel out the benefit...

Reactions: sttwoton
#10 ·
Try to get a bolt that fit the stripped allen end. Slightly bigger than the hole, file the point so it can get started in the hole and grab. Use the longest wrench you can find for the nut. Or screw a tap until it won't go any deeper.

#13 ·
Hope it works, it didn't on mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.