Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if it's possible to pass inspection with a 2.3L stage 3 cams build, my registration is up in mid October and as of right now I can't renew until I have a valid inspection. Really appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
7,114 Posts
Was wondering if it's possible to pass inspection with a 2.3L stage 3 cams build, my registration is up in mid October and as of right now I can't renew until I have a valid inspection. Really appreciate any help.
What state are you in?

The O2 sensors will react the same way, you would just need the rear turned on, and maybe a defouler.

It's not much of a difference from a stage three catless, unless I'm horribly wrong. Could have sworn its just looking for a difference between the sensors, in a given range. Which is obtainable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in New York, I have a defouler on the catless downpipe. Maybe I have to put a different restrictor inside the defouler. Also I think it's a possibility that they've been turned off.

·
Super Moderator
7,114 Posts
I live in New York, I have a defouler on the catless downpipe. Maybe I have to put a different restrictor inside the defouler. Also I think it's a possibility that they've been turned off.
So your monitors are not ready currently?

Talk to your tuner before you do anything else. Verify if the rear O2 is on, or off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently the o2, o2 heater and catalyst are not ready. I reached out to him hopefully he gets back to me soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
honestly, you may end up putting back on the stock downpipe. i had built motor with stage 3 cams, and monitors would not go ready even with o2 sensors turned on in tune. waited a full week and nothing. put stock downpipe on and they went ready with 30 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that case I think I'll give it a shot to use a more aggressive restrictor on the defouler and see what happens and if that doesn't work then I'll put the stock downpipe back in. Just gotta wait for my tuner to get back to me about whether or not the o2 sensors are on or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also do you guys think if I switched to my 93 tune instead of the e50 tune I would have a better shot at getting the monitors ready?

·
Super Moderator
7,114 Posts
Also do you guys think if I switched to my 93 tune instead of the e50 tune I would have a better shot at getting the monitors ready?
None of the catted/fuel type matters. These cars can be difficult to get the monitors to start reading. Once they actually read, then you will have to sort out any catalyst efficiency codes.

So for now, find out if the O2 is on. Its probably off.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get your monitor's ready if you're running a defouler. Granted my engines not built. But I'm still running a bolt on stage 3 with a downpipe and I have no issues. I use the vibrant J style defouler comes with three inserts. I used the medium insert.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get your monitor's ready if you're running a defouler. Granted my engines not built. But I'm still running a bolt on stage 3 with a downpipe and I have no issues. I use the vibrant J style defouler comes with three inserts. I used the medium insert.
None of the catted/fuel type matters. These cars can be difficult to get the monitors to start reading. Once they actually read, then you will have to sort out any catalyst efficiency codes.

So for now, find out if the O2 is on. Its probably off.
Currently the o2, o2 heater and catalyst are not ready. I reached out to him hopefully he gets back to me soon.

It's probably turned off. the default setting for stage 3 tune is rear O2 sensor deactivated. Unless you ask for it to be left on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In that case I think I'll give it a shot to use a more aggressive restrictor on the defouler and see what happens and if that doesn't work then I'll put the stock downpipe back in. Just gotta wait for my tuner to get back to me about whether or not the o2 sensors are on or not.
And from what I remember the o2 sensors have to be on in the tune. There’s also this funny driving protocol you can try and follow if you want to accelerate the monitor readiness. I forget, but it’s like drive at 45mph for 5 minutes. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate everyone's input, I'll be trying anything and everything cause I have no choice lol. Once my tuner gets back to me about my o2 sensor being activated I'll post my findings and hopefully a solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts