Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have pretty strange problem with my 2017 MK3.5 ST that is making me crazy for a few months now.

In my interior, on the passenger side (right side in my country), I can hear rattling sound and I am not able to figure it out. It only happens when I am driving about 80 kph (50 mph) or more and mostly on flat road. When I accelerate, the sound is more hearable, but I can hear it when I am not accelerating too.

I have already stripped down big part of the interior on the passenger side. I stripped glove box, ventilation exhaust and complete door trim. I have also pulled away part of the carpet and isolation from the floor, see photo that I have attached. And from what I hear, I can say that the rattling sound is located anywhere in the marked area. But I know that it is car, so the sound can spread from pretty anywhere.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

I already tried to do my best to address the sound. I tried to put some anti-vibration material in the cables and tomorrow I will borrow endoscopic camera, so I can look into the cavity in the marked area. I am just really driving crazy and I dont know what to do with the sound. I think that one more month and I will rather sell the car. I am no more happy when driving it, because I am only focused on the sound and trying to address it.

Also I have already searched this forum and I saw that many people have this or similar rattling noise. But honestly, I didnt find anyone who fixed this problem, or anyone that just cracked it. I hope that there is anybody who dealt with this problem and managed to fix it. I would be very happy if anyone can help me with this.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Best regards
Pavel

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,296 Posts
Can you capture a video of this noise, post it on YouTube and share it here? That would be helpful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for fast reply. I have already tried to capture it today, I just uploaded it to YouTube. It is not that hearable on the video, because I was filming it last minute. It definitely can be hear through playing music. If it is not enough, I will record another video today and post it here.

EDIT: I realised that I recorded two videos today, here is the second one:

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
Silly question, but does the car have the plastic wheel liner over the right front wheel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello guys,

thank you for your replies. Of course I have plastic wheel liner over the right from wheel, you can check it out on the images below. I have also managed to record another video with the rattling noise today, I hope that video is the best and you can hear it clearly.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tread
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle door Grass Fender

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
I'm still thinking it's something outside of the car.

How about the full-length under tray? Does your car still have that attached underneath? Is it secure?
There would be one to the left and one to the right of the tunnel.

I've personally encountered this issue on a Genesis g80 because one single under tray bolt was loose. Get up to highway speeds and it would make similar noises.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hello guys,
Along the lines TGT is going, try my go-to method.
Get the car sitting on solid ground with the wheels straight. Have someone sit inside the car as well in case it is coming from the interior. Try bouncing the suspension first to see if that makes any racket (push it down repeatedly and get it "bouncing" the best you can). If no result, go get a heavy shop hammer (like 2-3 pounder at least) and smack the tread surface of each tire (from the front and the back side of each tire) while listening for rattles. Some stuff might only be detectable with the wheels turned in a certain direction as well, so experiment if needed.
That can often reveal noises that seem to be only present while driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone, I have pretty strange problem with my 2017 MK3.5 ST that is making me crazy for a few months now.

In my interior, on the passenger side (right side in my country), I can hear rattling sound and I am not able to figure it out. It only happens when I am driving about 80 kph (50 mph) or more and mostly on flat road. When I accelerate, the sound is more hearable, but I can hear it when I am not accelerating too.

I have already stripped down big part of the interior on the passenger side. I stripped glove box, ventilation exhaust and complete door trim. I have also pulled away part of the carpet and isolation from the floor, see photo that I have attached. And from what I hear, I can say that the rattling sound is located anywhere in the marked area. But I know that it is car, so the sound can spread from pretty anywhere.

View attachment 408856

I already tried to do my best to address the sound. I tried to put some anti-vibration material in the cables and tomorrow I will borrow endoscopic camera, so I can look into the cavity in the marked area. I am just really driving crazy and I dont know what to do with the sound. I think that one more month and I will rather sell the car. I am no more happy when driving it, because I am only focused on the sound and trying to address it.

Also I have already searched this forum and I saw that many people have this or similar rattling noise. But honestly, I didnt find anyone who fixed this problem, or anyone that just cracked it. I hope that there is anybody who dealt with this problem and managed to fix it. I would be very happy if anyone can help me with this.

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Best regards
Pavel
Press your passenger seat / backrest down next time you drive and see if the noise stops. I had the exact noise and I found out that a plastic piece somewhere on the seat rails was loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everybody, I read everything and I will try to find the sound in upcoming days. I hope that the exhaust heat shield or something in here can be causing it. About the passenger seat - the sound is hearable even if I am driving passenger too, unfortunately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, I am reaching about, because I have managed to remove the rattle. Finally, cant believe it.

It was going from under the car, I had it on big jack at my mechanic and we did some stuff, that I will write below. I am unfortunately not 100% sure what was the rattle causing, but it was one of those 3 things.

1. Under the car, on the left and right side, there are some "fabric" trays. I have tried to punch them to see if they may cause the rattle and they could probably could. So I have unscrewed 2 clips in front and put little piece of foam (molitane) here. You can see the photo below with red circles (not my photo, I have it from google), thats where I put the foam under the tray.

2. After that, we have seen that the motor under tray and wheel liner is not installed right. I mean, they were installed normally, but the wheel liner was little bit stuck under the motor under tray. I have simply looked on the other side, where it was installed right, and tried to bend the wheel liner back, so I would not be "crossed" with the motor under tray. I dont have photo of this, but just look at the ends of motor under tray and wheel liner, where they meet, and see if they are correctly installed.

3. After your advices, I was looking after the heat shields around the exhaust, if they are installed correctly. I did not see any problem here, everything was pretty sturdy. At the rear of the car, just before the back muffler (I think it is muffler, this box where the exhaust ends), there was rusted one bolt and the heat shield was little bit hanging. So I used bigger washer and screw it back in the hole.

We have also detached the motor under tray and tried to find and clean some rocks etc. I have also tried to "bang" the wheel liner, there ware some little stones behind it, that fall off after.

So something from this just helped, unfortunately I dont know what it was.

...but just after I have removed this annoying rattle, it just started rattling on different place. This time it not that loud and it is in interior on the left side (driver side in my country, LHD), somewhere like in the A-pillar, speaker or dash. The sound is different and lighter. And again, I have tried some things to prevent it, but I did not have success. So I will probably detach the A-pillar plastic and speaker and see if there is something that is causing the rattle. Maybe somebody have some tip, on what I can focus? Thank you very much guys, I owe you...

ad. 1
Automotive tire Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I applaud your diligence and persistence. Unfortunately- these cars do have their share of rattles, and that's all part of the "charm". For twice the cost- you can purchase a BMW and have a silent, rattle-free cabin- but those cars have their own quirks (as all car models do). I purchased my 2017 ST new at a Ford dealership, and it had / has small rattles here and there even when new. I chalk it up to build quality and corner cutting with respect to interior panel tolerances, and I'm OK with that. In my opinion - for the money it's still a pretty fun car and a value that's tough to beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts