Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2013 Black ST2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any have any suggestions on what this may be? its almost like a crackling sound almost like plastic is rubbing together. I cannot for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. Any help would be mucho appreciated. Thanks!

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,383 Posts
Out of balance tire? Bent rim? Probably shaking the car just enough to make some of the interior panels rub together enough to make noise, if I were to guess.

Best thing you can do is have a friend ride in the back seat while you drive at that speed, have them listen, hone in on the sound, and push on various interior panels to see if it goes away.

· Registered
2013 Black ST2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@rob99rt thanks for the response man. I've also had this idea just haven't gotten around to having someone do it. For a hot minute I was thinking it may possibly be that rear foam around the spare because it reminds me of a Styrofoam rubbing sound. I'll definitely ask one of my buddies to do it for me when I get the chance.

· Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
I know the sound you're talking about. You could take the foam spacer and foam trays and spare out and try driving it again, that stuff is easy enough to remove and verify without involving anyone else

· Registered
2013 Black ST2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input @Notspejies01. I'm going to try removing it tomorrow actually and on my way to work I'll be able to do a lengthy highway test. I think it may be that. I wonder if it is and I leave it out, will there still be enough support back there with just the cover on top of the spare and none of that foam to help brace?

· Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
You can pick up some adhesive backed felt and just try to pinpoint the exact points of contact by wiggling everything around. Place the felt on those areas and that should fixe everything without removing the stuff permanently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts